Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has anyone in CT been denied inspection due to home built frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwampLedge, Apr 5, 2018.

1. SwampLedge

SwampLedge

I’m a 62 year old engineer (retired) and lifelong mechanic and fabricator who recently began construction of an AV8 from scratch. Looking ahead to the dreaded someday DMV inspection of my build, I corresponded with the inspection division regarding what they’d be looking for. A follow up phone call went just like this thread from a number of years ago:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/automotive-engineers.811795/

Bfdladder10 and I have exchanged a few DMs, and I am now wondering if there is anyone here who has been denied approval at inspection because their composite vehicle used a frame of their own construction. If so, please respond here or to me by DM.

Jerry

2. wahoo

wahoo

As far as I know, in Ct., if you have a title, inspection is not required for registration.
    If the car was purchased out of state, only a v.i.n. verification is required. Inspection is only for composite vehicles. If you are going for composite, sorry, can't help.

3. 5window

5window

From the CT DMV.

Composite Vehicles

A composite motor vehicle is "Any motor vehicle, composed or assembled from several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle. Any vehicle not assembled by a manufacturer licensed as such in the State of Connecticut is classified as a composite motor vehicle."

See composite vehicle information packet.

See FAQs on customizing vehicles.

What to do:
    • Vehicle must pass a composite vehicle inspection. All composite inspections are done at the Wethersfield inspection lane between 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Note: all lanes will be closed from noon to 1 p.m.)
      Note: Composite motor vehicles must be transported on a flat bed trailer or car carrier to the inspection site (not to be driven or towed; no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground) except if validly registered in another state or if the owner is a licensed dealer or repairer. If vehicle is validly registered and titled out of state as "composite", then only a courtesy inspection is required at no charge. Weth. only.
    • All composite vehicles are exempt from an emissions test.
    • Bring the Certificate of Titles of all vehicles used for major component part
    OR
    • Bring one Title, plus receipts for the parts of the other vehicles used. If the parts are from used vehicles, make sure the receipts specify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). No Title is needed for non-major component parts (examples of major parts are: engine, cowls, transmission, frame, doors, trunk lid, front and rear fenders and quarter panels).
    • Complete an Application for Inspection of Composite Motor Vehicle (form R-95)
    • Two photographs of the vehicle as well as supporting documents showing proof of ownership.
    • Complete an Application for Registration and Title (form H-13B)
    • At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built or the year of a previously manufactured vehicle that it most closely resembles. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."
    What it will cost:
    • $88
    • A fee of $50 is charged for the assignment of a VIN.
    All composite vehicles (except motorcycles) presented for a composite inspection will be required to be equipped with the following emissions systems based on the year of manufacture of the engine used in construction.

Emissions controls must match the year of the engine used in the composite vehicle. Documented proof of engine year must be provided by the applicant. This information will be verified for accuracy and the presence of all required components will be verified during the inspection.

Note: This requirement will not apply to vehicles with engines purchased prior to August 1, 2008. Documented proof of engine year and purchase date must still be provided at time of inspection.

All Light Duty Vehicles with Gasoline Engines were equipped with the controls indicated below (Lt. Duty = below 6001 lbs GVWR till 1978 & below 8501 lbs GVWR after):

Year of Engine Emissions Controls Required of All Vehicles That Year

Pre - 1966 None

1966 - 1970 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1971 – 1978 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1979 – 1988 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System, and CAT

1989 – 1995 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

1996 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection

All Medium Duty Vehicles (under 10,001 lbs GVWR but greater than Lt. Duty till 2004 then under 14,001 but greater than Lt. Duty) with Gasoline Engine were equipped with the controls indicated below:

Pre - 1966 None

1966 – 1979 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1980 – 1984 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1985 – 1992 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1993 – 2004 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

2005 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection

My read is A: get is registered/title out of state if you can then re-register it in CT and B: Better find a pre-2008 engine if you want to avoid smog controls. Kind of leave out the crate engine route.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. ct is the weirdest state when it comes to dmv. brand new frame, they won't inspect and register. but buy a ct registered, old piece of shit, rotted to the door handles and leaking every fluid, they will give you a plate. i have had issues with person, who asks for a certain info. go back and talk to another person and they don't need that or require something else.

5. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.