Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 55 ford hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A_Burly_Wind, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Amazing how good that 55 in HRP's post looks with almost nothing done to it other then the wagon tail lights. A little lowering and decent wheels and tires is all it takes.

Gary

2. chryslerfan55 and biggeorge like this.
  3. powrshftr

powrshftr

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I don't think you'll find a meaner 55 Ford on the planet than this one.
    Jeff J's Skairlane.Sohc powered.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. It's great to see a SOHC being used the way Ford intended!

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like the stock car with your name on the top. The hood on each side would have 312 cu in 260 HP if you had dual quads, a 30" number on the side and maybe a Ford dealership sponsor on the rear quarter panel. There would an additional hood hold down usually up from the bumper. Radio/heater delete horn ring off the steering wheel an it would wrapped with friction tape so the drive could hold on. Both Vic's and posts 2drs were used depending on the track length. No hub caps, rims were stock and if you could get away with it truck tires. A single hoop roll bar with one brace was typical. Front seat was stock. Most kept the cigarette lighter working for pit stops and yellow flags. That's about it...

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  6. Having seen the skairlane in action in person on many occasions its safe to say it is hands down my favorite fairlane build out there, that car rips so damn hard!

7. Heres the plan fellas, Im going to lower it with the aerostar springs/blocks, put on a set of chrome reverse wheels with some black wall radials from towel city (15 mins from my house so super convenient), add a set of lee's lenses tail lights, and do a tad of hop up to the 272. Ive got a spare "B" manifold and 600 carb, 57+ distributor with pertronix and some ram horns. Car already has duals on it but the glass packs are shot so those will get replaced with some new porters. Then Im going to drive the wheels off it!

OahuEli and JeffB2 like this.
  8. Now thats got me wanting to build another car....how am I going to talk the wife into project number 8?

biggeorge likes this.
  9. ...like this only with blackwalls n chrome reverses...
    55Fordblackslammedsuperrod.jpg

Rod Horn, alfin32, Besty34 and 5 others like this.
  10. That is bitchin. Sometimes I wish mine wasnt two toned.

biggeorge likes this.
  11. It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission lol

12. biggeorge likes this.
  13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I just love these cars, but there is one thing that drives me bonkers every time I look at one - the odd way the factory two-toned them at the headlight bucket. If you have any OCD at all, this is something that will drive a person insane.

I know I'm not the only one that thinks this. I have seen this transition done countless ways....

Here's the problem... Ford painted the buckets one color even though the trim breaks the color there. I guess that was cheaper? IMO this is the worst of all possible ways to address the problem.

1956_Ford_Fairlane_Sunliner_Convertible.jpg

The problem is a little less obvious on the other models, but still there.

07019f0fe2a6fca12b98cbe9c715a81d.jpg

It seems like they could have done it this way pretty inexpensively.

1956_Ford_Fairlane_Club_Victoria_(16322560351).jpg

But that's still not "quite" right. Painting only the outside edge looks pretty good.

14662847259_d6cdef51cc_b.jpg
    These are all really just band aid fixes though. I guess my preference would be to just have it two-toned this way. :D

gallery_60334_10_1431480156_16563.jpg

14. I agree it is just a tad annoying. If my car ever gets a respray it'll be a solid red. The two tone is fine but they look so much better in a single color.

15. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

How well do these cars handle with stock suspension and steering?

16. zzford

zzford

As much as I like 55 -56 Chevys, there are SO MANY out there! Even as a Chevy guy, I'd rather have a 55 -56 Ford tudor for a hot rod. Chevy engine of course.

biggeorge likes this.
  17. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

18. 4tford

4tford

Love the 55's my first car was a 55 272 with 3 on the tree!

Besty34 likes this.
  19. Besty34

Besty34

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old post but in 56 Fords-had one of the best suspensions available and the ran on dirt track all over this country for years. The ball joints are almost bullet proof today with servicing. I would love a bigger sway bar available but not willing to fork over $400.00 for it. Everyone seems to like coilover rears but a stock set a remanufactured leafs with traction masters are great. (My next addition) . There are rear sway bars available for fitting on the cars from the wagons.

Thor1 likes this.
  21. Larry's Thunderbird and Mustang has front and rear sway bars for these cars. They are not cheap but they are a really nice product and make a big difference in handling and driving.

Thor1 likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

23. billg51

billg51
    from Ct

24. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

25. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

26. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65