Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***April 2018 Banger Meet - Don't Be Fooled Into More than 4***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Jiminy

Jiminy

Herb, I believe that Jim posts a bit in the "Lets Talk Cyclecars" thread - can you post this over there too?

Jim

2. Best wishes to Jim and Z, Thoughts and Prayers from us.

J

3. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

It's ok to do as you've done with YOUR thread from last month.
    If you check, I did not equivocate , when I id your head as a true CRAGAR.
    The evidence was there on top. PM me if you wish further detail as it is a bit of long history.
    You have a really NICE piece of original old time equipment here. I think that you will enjoy the effects that this head will show you when you run it.

To digress for a moment, to get it out of my craw, this past Sat, saw the destruction of my original Schofield OHV head. It was a head made just before your model, i.e.(Miller then) Schofield made what was mine. Then off to Craney Garr who was maker of yours. My 87 yr old was a pristine example of antique ingenuity that has just been rebuilt and was being shipped 'home' !!

Old Dawg likes this.
  4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Damnit. Why. We just talked last week. So much knowledge gone. So much life lost. Damnit.

5. Jiminy

Jiminy

Herb Kephart and Dannerr like this.
  6. .............
    J

7. Jiminy

Jiminy

Great! I have added this to the list!

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

9. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

My condolences to Z. Bluto will be missed!

10. RussTee

RussTee

Jim Profit (bluto) had the ability to rip you apart for your stupidity then rebuild you in a mater of two sentences without ever offending or talking down to you he was well healed but never showed it he had had experiences second to none and shared them freely he was one of those who held the HAMB together correcting our mistakes lending a helping hand advise always given freely in a non offensive manner.
    Rest in peace Jim thanks for the experience shared and condolences to Zofia family and friends.

11. ME TO! Good idea..Thanks

Jiminy likes this.
  12. Like many of us, I too lament the passing of an extremely valuable man. But I think that we all benefited from having known him. Some perhaps more than others; but nevertheless his memory, spirit and wisdom will carry on with some degree with each of us who knew him. R.I.P. Jim.

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kind of tears a guy up...makes me appreciate all the rest of you that much more

ROCKER77 likes this.
  14. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

record group @Boniville.JPG

Jim, fourth from left, and Zophia, the record breaker, by his left side

Dannerr, winduptoy, ROCKER77 and 4 others like this.
  15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

is that the vehicle "Z" went 200 mph ? I see jim in the middle

16. joemac05

joemac05

Thanks for posting the picture....

Is there any sort of web page or biography of Jim. I came to look forward to his posts and input over the years but have this distorted name and avatar picture in my head and that is not him at all. It would be nice to get some insight into his collection and life history.

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

no page I know of . on the hamb he is know as "Bluto" . there are many post on here from him . originally from so-cal
    he has raced all over the world . his wife & he lived in Poland . she is still there as I believe he is also . search his hamb name ......... :
    "Bluto" hope this helps

18. joemac05

joemac05

Yes that's how I remember him in my mind, the name Bluto and this crappy picture... Just fine for somebody who is alive but not what should be remembered of someone who's history is obviously very interesting. Such is life I suppose. It is as he wished....
    [​IMG]

19. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

That's what Jim told me. She had never driven on the salt, and never driven that type car, so she had to make enough runs off course to prove that she could handle the car at speed. Engine was blown Ford flat head V8. Note the drivers position. Very little car in front of driver, so very little reference for driver to tell of car is coming around on her, or staying in a straight line. She got the idea very quickly, and Jim said that once she was on either of the record runs she never picked her foot up till she was over the finish line.
    Now think about this, and be honest with your self----could YOU do this?
    She is next to Jim in the photo, dressed in black, and wearing a red cap. One wonderful lady!
    Banger is correct, the engine did have Ardun heads, so was no longer a flathead. Thanks Banger!
    Herb

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Old Dawg and Jiminy like this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the pix is of a famous race car driver he admired . maybe European .

yes "Z" had no practice , just a natural ! I believe he said it was ADRUN powered

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Herb Kephart and Old Dawg like this.
  21. Jim's Avatar (photo) was that of Rene Dreyfus a famed driver of the 1920's and 30's. Dreyfus' first championship I believe was in a Bugatti Type 35. In later years Dreyfus owned a swank restaurant in Manhattan. Jim never told me whether or not he had met Dreyfus; but I wouldn't doubt it.

But, alas all of my above information IS WRONG! The image is that of Maurice Varet! A frenchman who drove a Delahaye (perhaps others as well)!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Andrew Mccann and Old Dawg like this.
  23. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Old dawg you were close. Rene Dreyfus and Maurice Varet drove together if I recall correctly.

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. superleggera

superleggera

Bluto notes: (for the 4-banger questions above)

- Jim was good friends with Rene Dreyfus the famed Bugatti racer. Bob Grier who owned the BMW 328 coupe before Jim was the gentleman who sponsored Rene's citizenship and move to the USA. Jim had numerous lunches / dinner with Rene over the decades and they were good friends. Somewhere I have a picture of Rene driving a Bugatti at the Long Beach Gran Prix (vintage exhibition) and Jim was taking his picture with a 35mm mounted on a rifle gunstock to help him aim it! I think that night was when Juan Manuel Fangio the great Argentinian gran prix racer hung out at Jim's shop in fact.

- Over the decades, Jim met many of his idols from the racing and automobile world both in Europe and in the USA. For many who knew him well, Jim was very well travelled while on the hunt for unique automobiles, motorcycles, bitsa collectibles and quirkiness. The stranger the story and Jim would scrape up money and go chase after it. Many were empty relics or long gone -- but he always figured there is always some truth to all the stories. Remember he started this in the days pre-Internet, pre-cellphone and more. Thus his visits into the far east (Communist) countries as well as the Far East itself. Also Jim found the "workers" whenever he could who actually built, fabricated, machined and made the stuff of lore that he searched for. Rich, poor, nobody, famous, etc -- Jim could befriend most very easily given his gift of gab and incredible memory.

- Bonneville 2008? Jim worked with the Ferguson family and on their Bonneville efforts for years. The payment for doing so is eventually a ride and hopefully a red or a blue hat for all the team members. Great family and team and multiple generations in doing. Unfortunately given Jim's health -- there was no way he was going down the salt. No way for him to escape the seat / cockpit / belts and get out of the car with the stopwatch running. (although the cockpit would be big enough for him) Thus Z was offered the opportunity instead to take Jim's ride in the streamliner. Engine was a supercharged Ardun running gasoline and she broke Don Garlit's Bonneville record from decades before -- and she never approached redline on the tach. She got in the car and was a natural and did everything correctly and properly and no issue with nerves. She earned it. Also remember the Ferguson streamliner has put LOTS of people into the 200 / 300 mph club given its reliability and the preparation of the crew itself long before they get to Bonneville itself. Probably one of the things that Jim was proud of was Z taking his ride and putting it into the record books. It meant way more to him than if he had done it himself.

25. joemac05

joemac05

Thank you very much for the story Super. Helped lift a bit of the fog for me....

26. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Checking in. Sad about Jim, will miss reading his comments.
    Skip

27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am sorry to hear about Jim too. I never met the man but always valued his input and knowledge he shared with us. I also finished the top on my coupe. I updated my build thread but thought I would share a pic here too.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

winduptoy, Dannerr, ROCKER77 and 4 others like this.
  28. I've had my 3 Model A engines for a while, but haven't done anything with them yet. I have recently obtained a B block and counterweighted crankshaft. My intentions were to put the B crank in one of my A blocks, that is until I saw the difference in main journal diameters.

Now for the big question...

Is it better to machine an A block for the B crank, or clean up the B block and use my extra A stuff to finish it up?

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Nice, Binger! I love those Special Coupes.

winduptoy and Binger like this.
  30. It depends on the intended purpose of the motor.
    The "B" crank will need mains reduced to fit between main bolts. The "A" block does not have pressure fed mains so that work is mandatory, IMHO. The "B" deck is thinner than the "A", some will say this is a major issue.
    With that said, in the end you are working on 90-ish year old iron, you are taking your chances with who ever worked on these before. Some of those shops probably had leaves as the roof..........J

barrnone50 likes this.