Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wagons & surfboards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 4, 2018.

1. I understand someone living in on the coast and is a avid surfer hauling a board but what is the obsession of having a board mounted on top of a wagon and living a thousand miles away from the coast?

We were out in the wagon last night and a guy said,that's a nice looking wagon but you need a surfborad. HRP

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yes,your right,there are more then a few things that get copyed in the wrong places or ways. late 50s an early 60s Surf was up around South Beach,Miami Fl. an up at Hallover/north Miami an places along the cost. So were one lived would have a lot do with how many surfboards you would see,before it got too be in photos in every mag. all over the USA. The Beach Boys songs an others help put Surfen feel/time/idea in too every place. So it became a style thing. That then was kind of copyed in places that are just odd.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Jay71

Jay71

As a lifelong surfer, that is a huge pet peeve for me. I'll never understand the surfboard as a prop deal. To each his own i guess. Don't do it HRP!!

3W JOHN, X38, rjones35 and 4 others like this.
  4. Some people just like to think they are cool and put on an image of something that they are not. It happens all the time, especially in the hot rod and car scene! :rolleyes::cool:

3W JOHN, Allmotor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. it just represents such an idyllic lifestyle and 60's Beach Boy sense of Zeitgeist to so many. Antique wagons and surfboards have been burned into the collective psyche of America.

6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I wouldn’t put a surfboard on top of my wagon most of them look way better than my car:)

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Maybe I can shed a little light on this subject as to WHY they do it. As a teenager, that was transplanted from Southern Cal, to Oklahoma, I dreamed of surfing and the whole beach scene. Listen to The Beach Boys ( still have those albums) , had to do something to occupy my mind spending hour after hour on tractors building our ranch. My body was working, but my mind was at the beach, lol. Well, obviously, I couldn’t do the beach scene, as we had no beach. What I did years later, when I went to Hawaii, was learn to surf at the ripe old age of 55 and 250 lbs , not a pretty sight I guess, but I DID get up on that aircraft carrier of a surf board they gave me. Maybe that’s why they do it. Just my .02 . Bones

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Surfbords on cars that will never see the surf is no different than bogus Gassers that will never see the track. Unfortunately our hobby always has and always will lend itself to Posers. I'm always amused by HAMB posts about guys trying to fool others. i.e. Tri carbs with only the center carb working, trying to make a 350 look like a 327, fake blower, etc. I remember one HAMB post where someone wanted to install a tachometer without hooking it up electrically saying it would be alright as he'd be the only one who knew it didn't work.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  9. It's just the Poser's and Wanabe's. Oh Look, Me too. It rates right up there with fake Olds valve covers on a Small Block. Some will say, what's Life without dreams? For sure not my way of doing things but I kind of get it. I'm more of a Sleeper and like to actually do the un assumed than not live up to what it may look like.
    The Wizzard

10. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Living here in the North East I'm thinking a toboggan on the wagon would be way cool.

11. 56shoebox

56shoebox

POSERS!!!!!

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I lived in Aptos, CA our house overlooked Seacliff Beach. It was a block down to East Cliff Drive, then 3 blocks to the parking area, carry the Hobie board downstairs to the beach. 3 flights...Nothin'! (in those days when I was 28!)
    I would slip the 9 foot Hobie down into the footwell of my '52 Porsche roadster, with the tail and skagg 4 feet in the air. NEVER 'sported it' downtown, freeway, (maybe once) or paraded it down Beach Street, where the 'cruise' was.
    Only for 'transportation' to the beach. Until that damned shark...

13. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

Alot of people on here let to much stuff bother them. Surf boards in wagons and the Beach Boys go together where ever you live. California Dreamin here in Ohio.
    Yea I know that isn't a Beach Boys song.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I see a lot of them around here, too. Kinda 'cool', but we ARE 120 miles from the beach!

3W JOHN, Lou kriger and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My thoughts go back to the basics.... it’s your car, you paid for it, do it the way you like it. I have seen some outrageous cars here and thought” man, that’s awesome, but I glad it’s his and not mine” . But I would never say it, just think it. Just my .02 Bones

16. Terrible80

Terrible80

Ya just never know when you'll say " Screw Oklahoma " and head for L.A. If you don't have your board in your wagon you might change your mind.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

The correct terminology is "kook" .... :cool:

18. But just wait for the Shades of the Past in Pigeon Forge,Tennessee and you will see a lot of wagons with surfboards on top,there must be some huge surf on the Little Pigeon River! :D HRP

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Haven’t said it yet, it’s been 61 years, went back out to visit LA a year ago..... I ll stay in Oklahoma. I’ve got a wagon, but no surfboard and there won’t be one on my wagon, just not my thing. Bones

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's my '46 Pontiac with a board at the Beach Boy's show several years ago. Note the bamboo racks! Olds is mine too. image.jpeg

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My surfboard is long gone,and when I did use it,it was just sticking out of pass seat of my hotrod 28 roadster or my custom J on the way to South Beach between 1959 to 64,she was long vs stuff after then to now. By late 65 I did get a used 57 Ford wagon,but it never got the surfer thing done too it,I'd got a wife ,house,bills etc. Something had to go,I did have fun being a low skill surf nut,but hot rods, race cars,house an wife cut out trips surfen.
    Pic is South Beach 1960,between pair n jetty about 1/2 mile+ more south,this was surfcity spot. North side of pair was snowbirds n swimmers only. SouthBeachSurf1960s.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  22. Truckedup

Truckedup

How many surfboards on top of vehicles are props?

23. ...I'll bet a lot of boards on wagons on the coasts never see the water,...these wagons look cool w/o boards...I don't have a problem with any cars with surfboards, a lot of our old cars have stuff that are not "correct" if you get down to it,...like Moon tanks, slicks, etc.
    art 2018 122.jpg art 2018 121.jpg

24. Put the boards in the wagon. HRP

[​IMG]

25. Nezzy51

Nezzy51

Here's our wagon sans surf board. It is a California car maybe it fell off on the way to Minnesota! Like statesblue says a toboggan would be more appropriate. Over a foot of new snow in the last 5 days. The only "prop" we have in the wagon is a picinic basket which actually comes in handy. 20180405_071034.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

27. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Being I live close to the coast in Florida I got to see a lot of old wagons hauling surfboards on the beach.I also got to see them rust away to nothing in a very short time-----

28. Damn....you just reminded me - that's another thing that burned up in the fire last April........

29. Latigo

Latigo

What's next..... A bunch of geezers driving around in hot rods pretending they're teenagers again?

Nostrebor, Radford46, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I'll show em, im gonna start carrying my old wooden water skis in our wagon.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app