Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs TO TINT OR NOT TO TINT - THAT IS THE QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ...looks terrible with tint,...so classy w/o,...tint looks ok on gassers in lighter shades
    art 2018 068.jpg

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Gets you a hefty ticket here! We can't tint windshield or front side windows. I could see doing dark on back window and rear side windows for cooler and privacy. Pain with dark tint on windows you actually have to see out of at night......
    SPark

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

From an article I read on tinted windows in Kalifornia, the windshield except the very top, driver and passenger side windows are illegal.

According to the CHP, from January 2015 through the end of August of this year 2017, a total of 193,025 tickets were issued to drivers for violating the California law that forbids tinted windows.

4. My Ford glass has the factory green tint, just right. All my replacement glass is the same. In NY state, now checking window tint is part of the yearly inspection, too dark and it fails.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Even with the modifications you mention, tint would not suit the car.

6. What does your state law say regarding the drivers and passengers door window tint ?
    If I were to tint the windows . It would be a light tint.
    Vic

7. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

I like the bronze tinted glass.

Attached Files:

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey S,
    You live in So Cal, not Arizona. Yes, it is sometimes bright here in So Cal, but there are DMV window tinting laws that the CHP will pounce on at any time. San Diego has those sneaky CHP motorcycles sitting on the shoulder of freeways...I-5 and the 805 near the downtown areas and under those cool bridge overpasses. They love to give window tinting tickets... a fix it ticket, not a moving violation.

Jnaki
    When my son was going to UCSB, just as he got off the freeway at Storke Road, the CHP pulled him over and gave him a fix it ticket. My son had dark tints on his car side windows. The CHP told him that the 3/4 and rear was ok, but that it was hard to see clearly at night. The driver and passenger sides, a no no on dark tints.

"Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield. Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows. Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used. The back windshield and rear passenger side windows have no restrictions in terms of darkness; the only requirement is that you have side-view mirrors that provide 200 feet of visibility."

9. If it was mine & I had to tint I would do just the back glass, like a limo.
    In my opinion it looks good without the tint.

10. ChefMike

ChefMike

what are the laws about tinting in your state ? need to find that out first

11. Slopok

Slopok

No, not traditional whatsoever! Dark tinted windows is a modern thing for modern cars.

12. partssaloon

partssaloon

Sorry guys, around here that's not even a question. You do it for survival.

Sactownog likes this.
  13. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

I would tint it and I would use one of the higher end "clear" films (it won't be clear but close) which blocks interior and skin damaging UV rays as well as heat. Visibly, you can hardly tell it is on there but your interior, skin, and AC system will thank you. It also holds tempered glass together when broken so it is easier to clean up.

jazz1, Jerrybigbird and FlyFisher like this.
  14. chargin03

chargin03

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a fan of the dark windows on any rig as they are instant cop bait around here. On old rigs in this area it usually identifies you as a Banger or wanna be banger.
    I bought an ot rig last year with seriously dark tint and shaved it off after about a week as I couldn't see out the sides well enough at night. With this particular car I'd rather have the cops see the old fart with the white beard driving it anyhow as the model is a favorite with young guys from rough neighborhoods around here. In fact I bought it from one.
    The orange or other colors on gassers is normally plexiglass rather than glass anyhow. Race stuff not street stuff.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

0D6CA624-8D2B-49AE-A11D-D653D03A8320.jpeg Mine has some tint, granted they’re different cars, but this is what mine looks like. Bones

17. phat rat

phat rat

If you want tinted glass change it all out for tinted glass don't use the film stuff. I have smoked glass 0385 (6).JPG in windows of my cpe. So they (cops) can't scratch it off and all the glass is the same

jazz1 likes this.
  18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

No. Makes it look like a funeral car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You can see the car in my avatar. I put a light tint to the windows. No air conditioning so it helps keep the interior of a black car a lot cooler. I also like the looks of it. So I will be the odd ball and tint them on a lighter shade. The law won`t bug you, it wont be diven as often, as a daily diver would be.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

0D6CA624-8D2B-49AE-A11D-D653D03A8320.jpeg There's a wagon like this in my town. They use it in
    neighborhood situations to pick up the bodies when someone dies at home.

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

I thought the tinted glass looked cool until I drove the car at night.

23. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

after this weekends Good guys show in Del Mar, ya the car is way better with out window tint.

24. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I figured because everyone loved this photo shop so much (kidding) I would do more and add skirts to it. it looks horrible with tint and skirts. I may lower it a few inches, but it will for sure stay clear window no skirts. :) BLACKED OUT 33.jpg

25. No on tint
    Yes for smaller front tire and a lowering on the front