Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toilet Paper Oil Filters... Literally

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65Luck, May 6, 2004.

1. Well Im still using the 250 engine I installed the Frantz filter on. And the oil stays cleaner. the John Wayne TP hasn't came apart or caused any problems. Now ill agree using it doesn't elemenate the necessity of changing oil. I now use rotellat diesel oil. I changed from Valvoline because of the Zinc that's needed for flat tappet cams. As you get older you sometimes realize that sometimes things you know for certain to be a fact are not true at all. You are Never to old to learn something new unless your too dam smart to learn something from someone you think is dumber than you.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I love frantz oil filters. bought one at a swap meet for 5 bucks and sold it in ebay for $75.00, so the hunt was on, they were made in Stockton Ca, and swaps in "Central California" always brought 2 or 3 to every swap for 10 bucks a pop. then I would sell them on ebay anywhere from $50.00 to $125.00. I made the mistake of telling one of my swap meet/ebay buddies about them, then every time I saw him at a swap he had another one in his wagon.

I bet I made $300.00 profit on those things in my ebay days

3. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Some years ago, I had a Frantz TP filter on an old beater that used so much oil that I Quit buying oil and used drain oil (from both diesel and gas engines so it was very black) from the shop where I worked.... After several miles the oil looked clean and clear like normal fresh oil... Changed the TP filter every 2000 or 3000 miles, the oil change was kinda ongoing...... :D :D o_O

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. Thought I would bump this thread.

5. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

TP is made to disolve in liqued so it will not clog up your sewer......where dose all that paper go in your car......

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have one of these at home for ebay. I will put toilet paper in it, fill it with oil, and let you know when it dissolves;)

7. reyn

reyn

I have been using 2 of these since 2004 and have had great luck with them. Both are frantz filters. I can change the filter without getting under the car. 10 minutes to change the filter. Works for me. The first one I tried it on was a 91 Pontiac. Installed it at 92,000 Km. Drove it to 320,000 Km. In that time I changed oil and filter twice. Every 3 or 4000km the toilet paper roll got changed and the oil topped up.
    The oil was always clean. When I parked the car the engine ran like a top. I parked it for the electrical problems it had. I think I would have saved 300 liters of oil in this time, which is around $1000. I would have saved and didn't have to crawl under the car, which gets tougher the older I get. Been using them ever since with great luck.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^ you still need to change the oil. while it looks clean, it has broken down and does not lubricate like new fresh oil.

9. I know of a 57 ford that was bought new by a traveling salesman. He installed a Frantz. and changed the oil filter and toilet paper every 2000 miles. never ever drained the oil. It had over 300,000 miles when they had to replace the timing chain. However I worked for a guy that bought a brand new nissian diesel pk. And decided to not ever change the oil and filter? just add oil when it got low? And It had 196,000 and was still going strong. His house was located 30 miles from his shop. So it at least got drove 60 miles for five days of the week. and got drove out to the jobs. he carried diesel fuel to all of his equiptment. He plowed telephone cable. installed water lines ,did trenching ect.

10. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

I have been running one on my 1998 Dodge Ram diesel for about 8 years now. it does not fall apart and it is a bypass filter that super filters some of the oil as a bypass filter. will go back to normal if fill would ever get plugged but does not. My oil stays cleaner far longer with the Frantz . It only takes a small portion of the oil and extra filters it and then sends clean oil back to the pan. I do think it works fine.

11. I think most folks who would go to the trouble to install A frantz filter are the type of folks who will take care of an engine and do regular maintance on their vehicle. most folks who bad mouth them have never used one. On another subject. For decades ive been installing a filter someplace between the gas tank and fuel pump. because I don't want to pump debris thru my fuel pump. and there are naysayers who claim all sorts of bad stuff will happen if you place a filter on the suction side of a fuel pump.

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Over the road trucks have been running a similar form of the Franz filer for years. It’s called “ Luberfiner”( might be misspelled). They are those chrome things about the size of 5 gallon bucket, usually mount in the wind on the passenger side of the truck. It “ refines” the oil, hense it’s name. A lot of them also have both spin on full flow and bypass filters mounted under the hood. Bones

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The installation on the display Econoline Van that my friend owned was pretty nice. He was all setup for his display during the surf session breaks, lunch, afternoon blow outs, etc. Whenever we all got out of the water at Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, San Clemente, Oceanside Harbor and Piers, he immediately set up his display of Frantz Oil Filter stuff. His motor compartment was opened and his engine compartment was immaculate. This guy knew how to showcase his stuff.

In talking with him back in those days, it was a job he could have to go all over So Cal and make money surfing/selling his Frantz products. Actually, the job was perfect for his lifestyle, but he was on commission, not a weekly salary, so he got paid as soon as he sold the products.

Jnaki
    Here are a couple of posts on another old thread about these FRANTZ filters.

upload_2018-4-3_16-46-4.png
    upload_2018-4-3_16-46-20.png
    upload_2018-4-3_16-46-34.png

14. Sporty45

Sporty45

When I was 16 and working after school at a gas station, there was a guy that worked there and had a toilet paper filter on his VW bug. He used to show me how clean his oil was all the time. I thought it was an awesome idea and promptly forgot about it after I quit that job. Said he invented it! :p

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Stilko did a TP filter that was a finned aluminum unit that was very good looking. Same principle as the Franz...cost a few bucks more. While Stilko was late to the party, they sold quite a few units probably based on their looks and the good reviews by Franz users. One of the TP manufacturers actually started producing rolls that were sized for the Franz and Stilko.

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,
    Did you attend the Mission Bay Car Show last Friday-Sunday? If so, any photos?
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

17. I knew a guy that sold them in the '50's. He had a '56 Chevy with a Frantz filter mounted on top of the left front fender. The oil line that fed the filter had a glass tube in it and a light behind the tube so you could see through the oil. He put the thing on without changing the oil. At first you couldn't see anything in the tube but black liquid. Within a week or two the oil was clean and the light showed right through. It just kept getting cleaner. Looked like it was working pretty good to me.

jnaki likes this.
  18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Thought it was purchased seperatly from reagular tp.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Hey, I was thinking, how about putting one in the bathroom with a funnel attached. You pee in the funnel and it goes through the filter and comes out clear recycled drinking water. This solves multiple problems!

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I worked for a paving company right after I got out of high school in 67. They ran Franz filters on every piece of equipment they had. Changed the filters every 100 hours and ran the whole paving season in northern Michigan without changing oil.
    They would do oil samples and change the oil at the end of the year. Seemed to work as I never saw any engine failures and always had plenty of toilet paper on hand at all times.
    I used the toilet paper moisture trap in my air lines at my shop in Florida.

21. I used to have one with quick couplers that I put in my air line when painting cars. Seemed to catch the moisture from the compressor.

22. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

My Dad made his own version of the TP filter and ran them on everything he owned.He changed the filters more often than the oil, but I don't know the ratio.
    He made his living with his equipment, so he must have been confident with the filters.

23. reyn

reyn

When the filter is changed it is black as coal. The container is tapered so it compresses the roll quite well when it is tightened down. The oil is returned to the oil cap where you add oil. If you take the cap off when the engine is running and look at the oil it is clear. I've used them on 4 different vehicles and have had any engine problems and I've always used cheap Quaker State oil. I'm sold on them.

24. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

It dissolves in water based liquids apparently not oil....

LW

25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Have had one on the shelf for yrs but haven't got a round to running it. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jnaki likes this.