Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 willys coupe,The Nugget, Ed Dash, 1963 indy winner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zeph4057k, Apr 3, 2018.

1. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

heres a cool old willys that I saw at the great lakes gassers at Milan dragway in Milan Michigan this last july or august,. I had the pleasure of talking to the original owner that built the car in 1960 or '61. he said he won his class there in 1963. ed is close to eighty and was a lot of fun listening to his stories of how they used to build cars back then. a far cry from what we do today, a lot of arc welding going on back then ! he said that after the 1967 season these cars were outdated and a lot of guys stripped all the parts to build a new car from what they had left and junked the bodies. a real shame a lot of these cars disappeared this way. but ed couldn't do that. he said he loved the car and kept it together and stored it for the next 52 years. his son helped him get it out and clean it up. it's all original and has never been restored from it's race days ! it's got a big blk Chrysler wedge engine and a hydrostick trans. I wish I could've seen the inside and the engine bay but he said it looked dirty and didn't want to show it . what a piece of history. I don't like the headlights or the bumpers, but he said he used them off an old volkswagon. when you see this in person you can tell its all original and had been raced pretty hard ! I hope you guys find this interesting. IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1528.JPG IMG_1529.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Pretty cool, even the wheels are from then with the blue anodizing ?
    That one behind it is pretty cool too.

3. That is awesome, thanks for posting.

@swade41 the front wheels look to be 40s era Ford Prefect.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I believe you're right, after I enlarged the photo I can see it much better..lol Screenshot_20180403-193936_Photobucket.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

oh, thanks that's my 1940 willys.

swade41 likes this.