Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Eaton supercharger conversion to top carb mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradinNC

BradinNC

Well, it's had over 3000 views, and it's a featured thread. And I'm reading it now.

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  2. bob cutler

bob cutler

It is small for a V8, not looking to make a huge HP gain.

loudbang likes this.
  3. bob cutler

bob cutler

It may slip I had it running and brought it up to about 4800 rpm didn't slip then, but like I say it might

4. 55chevr

55chevr

I like the set up. Simple and even with just a few pounds of boost it will make it perform stronger. Exhaust sound will have a sharp crack. Nice and different.

Joe

loudbang likes this.
  5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If the shaft is parallel to the crack...lol..

loudbang likes this.
  6. Gimme back my C and take your N and leave me alone

BJR, Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Is it as simple as taking a few thousands off the OD of the rotors? I been thinking about putting the m90 I have on my Merc 6cyl but how I mount it may need it to be "wet"..

loudbang likes this.
  8. wasn't offended. Just clarifying something that we should always be aware of. If you give half the information you leave lots of room for someone to make drastic mistakes.

@seb fontana , I haven't done one of the eaton units and doubt that I will as I am no longer situated in a machine shop. But it could be as easy as trimming the rotor if it has rotors. It seems like it has helices, which is the glory of the modern blower. They make more boost at less revs so you can really under drive them, less parasitic loss.

It could be a matter if just changing the strips if it is stripped, to give yourself the proper clearance, or it could entail machining the case or trimming the helices. It is more a matter of finding references to proper setup. That may not be easy information to find as these were never meant to be wet.

Perhaps the OP will share some incites.

loudbang likes this.
  9. dan griffin

dan griffin

I have a 97 Buick what blower do I have?

10. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Check the latest Street Rodder magazine. A inline 6 with an Eaton. Simple, and well done

BradinNC and loudbang like this.
  11. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

Lil'Alb, BradinNC and rod1 like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@porknbeaner seems like your clearance difference could be found in using a coated vs uncoated rotor? Looks like they made that change around the same time they went to a sealed bearing that would work with a wet set up.

Also keep in mind that they are a roots style, not a whipple style if that makes any difference.

Hopefully one of the people actually running one of these can fill in the gaps on what they actually did to make it work wet

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The ones that are flipped and moded to draw thru with carb on top; how do you set the oil level in the front snout?

14. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

When I flipped my Eaton I redrilled the case so that the snout went back on the right way up so the fill port for teh oil is in the usual orientation.

Tim likes this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Can that be done with an M90 3rd generation from a Ford 3.8 V6 [I think] ? If I do that then the air flow will be in the wrong direction? Snout is on the right stock [in from back bottom/out at top] so flipping the blower the snout has to be on the left for in at top/out at bottom..I think...

16. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

I flipped the blower to get the base of the blower body to be the top as this was the right size for the 4 barrel carb to twin 2 barrel converter I wanted to use. The blower is running the right direction , just with the main case assembled 180 degrees around. I reworked what was the top of the blower case to make the narrowest foot print I could to easily bolt up to the flat head motor.
    Hope that is a little clearer.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      197.3 KB
      Views:
    revkev6 likes this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I understand what you did but in my M90 it can be flipped but the snout must stay with the case, up side down too..Keeping the snout in left hand side only works of it originally was on left side, mine is on right side..

18. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Not a problem. Unbolt the snout, remove the rotors, On mine I had to then redrill and ream the holes for the locating dowels . Flip the case, install the rotors the right way up for the new orientation and then refit the snout. As you redrilled the locating dowels the snout will be back on the same side it came off even though you flipped the case.

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Got lucky and found this old sharp 2x2 intake that already had the carb flanges milled flat today. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim_with_a_T and XXL__ like this.
  21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Added a couple updates to the supercharger. Nothing too recent. I have to make a decision on pulleys then have the top ribs milled flat so I can bolt on the carb plate! 20180623_150050.jpeg 20180623_150315.jpeg 20180623_150501.jpeg 20190209_113202.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

FlatJan and fauj like this.
  22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

23. Not mine 51223797_1094365484079421_2751139626415554560_n.jpg

Lil'Alb, FlatJan and fauj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.