Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I bought a coupe - in Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cederholm, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Dropped axle and reversed eye spring up front. One of the new 2.250" wide Model T profile springs for Model As and wham o, instant hot rod. Chopped Model As are rarely comfortable and if you are a tall gent driving one any distance a neck cramp is almost certain.

2. cederholm

cederholm

Now that's some useful direction right there! Thanks!!

As stated before, my first corse of action is to give the car a little attitude. I absolutely LOVE the stance of Rats28's coupe (and I hope he doesn't mind my sharing his photo).
    [​IMG]

I need to do my homework to figure out how to achieve something similar. That would include wheels/tires, front and rear suspension and the conversion to juice brakes. All of this with the forethought that coupe will get a flathead at some point.

That said the banger runs like a Swiss watch, doesn't leak anything and is pretty f'n neat! I think I'll keep it on there a little longer than originally thought.

Any thoughts or advice you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Links, picts and photoshoped visions equally so.

Thanks for all the kinds words guys - they are inspiring.

~ Carl

waxhead likes this.
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]

I wonder why I think that coupe is the perfect color Carl.......... Great find and so close to home. Looks like you have a great car to start your build!

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

ok, i'll be the first. i cant imagine buying a restored car just to rip it apart for a hotrod. half your money will be on the floor or in the garbage can, then you will be shocked at how little money you get back when you sell the leftovers.

5. cederholm

cederholm

Very fair point Rusty, but I got the car for the same price that I was seeing rusty, non-runners. As far as ripping it apart, I've modified my plan to leave leave much of the car alone.

The parts I anticipate removing will be the motor/trans plan to save them for a future project. The wheels and tires, which are so clean and perfect any restorer would love them. The brakes and front suspension will be replaced, and the rear will be modified.

Unless I've overlooked something, not a lot will be trashed/sold.

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds goods so far; fenders, running boards, no chop, and maybe dropped headlight bar with 7" headlights. I'd also be okay with painting over the yellow;).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    cederholm likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2018-4-3_13-55-27.png
    There, that is more appropriate. Nice ride, have fun making it yours.

52 ford coe and cederholm like this.
  8. Toner283

Toner283

I am of the opposite opinion. Imagine all of the time and money you will save not having to hunt down all of the fiddly little bits that are always missing. Garnish moldings, trim screws, knobs, latches, switches, handles Etc. Plus if the car has been decently restored, there is no body work or rust repair to do. Plus the interior is already done. And like cederholm said, anyone building a traditional rod is not liable to remove and sell/throw that much away. The stock mechanical brakes, front axle, stock wheels and tires and maybe the fenders and the banger depending on the build style. All stuff that would get removed/replaced if a complete rusty car is used as a starting point anyway.
    You will be in a running driving hot rod far faster and with far less frustration then by buying a rusty body and building it up from there.

cederholm and 1934coupe like this.
  9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I AGREE! Start with a better car and wind up with a better car. He never spoke about "cutting it up" (a favorite term for anti-rodders) a flattie in a model A is almost what Henry had in mind when he thought about the 32.

Pat

cederholm likes this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

i am not an "anti hotrodder", i just have always had the theory that if you start with a pile of parts, then do what ever you want with it. but if you start with a restored car and make a thing that looks like it belongs on the salt flats, thats a sin in my book. there are lots of good bodys and other peoples half done projects around that would save a lot of money for hotrod parts. in this case if he wants the old interior, then thats a plus that wont end up in the garbage. good fenders will bring good money, the rest not so much. have fun with your car, but thats not how i would have gone about it. at least its gonna be a flathead!!