Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cooling battle flex vs ridgid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ponchoguy65, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Well things are starting to warm up here in Texas and my car likes to get up around 225 at the most in traffic but it hasn't been 108 outside yet either its a little hot for my liking it has no shroud at the moment but an opgi one is going on pretty soon and I'm wanting a new fan I have a used one a dear old friend gave me from his 428 Pontiac its an old flex fan but its a sturdy one however some fins are bent backwards so its time for a new one I'm wondering if a new flex fan or a rigid 6 blade fan would flow more air at low rpm? Anyone know if a thermoclutch style would be better? but. all and all my goal is more cooling power no matter the cost in hp

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

A clutch fan is what I'd use, if it will fit.

3. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Might have some clearance issues because I've got the long pump set up its a little limited on space.

4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Shroud is needed. If no clutch fan (best), use a regular hd fan. Do not use a flex fan. Flex fans are crap. As they flex towards flatness, that also = a flat spinning disc, = no air flow through rad.
    Marcus...

Ponchoguy65 likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

there are different kinds of flex fans, some are pretty good, some are not so good. Look for large, curved, stainless blades, they work well.

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  6. The clutch fan from a Jaguar is the shortest one made.
    It's a bit of a PITA getting the nuts on because it so short.
    Hayden 2765

7. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Okay thanks for the tip I'm looking at either a flex a lite flex fan or their rigid race fans....but is a race fan that's rigid better than a flex for the slow driving conditions? I want the optimum flow to go with the shroud. Ill look into the jag clutch fan and see if I have a way to squeeze it in also on a race fan what's the benefits of aluminum vs steel?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of car, motor. Radiator, etc more than fan/shroud to be considered

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Morrisman likes this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I tried running flex fans on a couple of my pontiacs and hated them, never cooled worth crap. Went to a factory fan clutch and factory a/c fans ( a/c fans are bigger than non a/c ) and never had another problem. Every motor I've built from the early 90`s on have had factory fans.

10. squirrel

squirrel

something like this should be fine. I've used them on a few cars over the years, they work well.

flx-2016_xl.jpg

There are other types that have small, "bent" rather than "curved" blades, that are crap.

11. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Just asking, How much over Bore you running, or have you considered speeding up the Pulley?

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't even want one of those fans with the tapered bent rather than curved blades as they don't pull any air. That is what is on my truck as it was the only thing I could find at the time that fit and cleared the lower hose.
    If I could I would go with the biggest OEM style fan or one like Jim showed so it will pull some air.

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  13. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

One of these fans with a good shroud and your overheating problems will go away.

Assuming your radiator is actually man enough for the job, that is.

If it isn’t then no amount of fan or shroud will sort it out. I spent two years battling with a rad that simply wasn’t up to the job.....

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  14. mohead1

mohead1

I use a curved flex just like that on a hot rod small block inna 30 Coupe, 3 row alum rad, no stat but a large washer to restrict flow slightly. Never gets above 200 even on hot 90+ days. I do have alum heads that prob helps too

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  15. I have this one in my car. I took out an old Mopar steel fan that I had used in a stock car. The new flex fan made an immediate difference in traffic and shaved a few degrees off my normal running temp.

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  16. BJR

BJR

FLEX VS RIDGED
    If you ask a woman they will take ridged over flex every time.

bobss396 and Ponchoguy65 like this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

No one else as mentioned it but often time spent sealing any areas where air bypasses the radiator is
    time well spent. Look at all the little holes that allow air to go around the radiator, if they are all sealed
    the air will have to go where it does you some good.

Ponchoguy65 and Texas Webb like this.
  18. What he said

Ben

19. Yep. One simply cannot skimp on the radiator. Bigger and CLEANER is better.

Ben

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  20. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Thanks for all the replies all great info and I'm still cracking up over the rigid vs flex comment hahaha I'm going with the tips y'all have recommended here and I defiantly want to seal some of the areas around the shroud I have and maybe invest in a new shroud the one I have on hand is plastic from opgi for the gto it fits well but it's kind of flimsy. As for my radiator its up to the task I think. Have y'all ever heard of wizard cooling out of new York? That's the one I went with its aluminum 3 row with 1.25 inch tubes 4 pass for a standard car so I think with the shroud and the new fan we should be a okay. Also the one on there now is 17 inches I'm going to get the 18 inch for that little extra help.

21. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Its a goodwrench crate so no bore at least I hope lol and what do you mean speed up the pulley? By reducing the pulley size on the driven belt? Oh and on a side note does anyone have recommendation on a thermostat for here in Texas? I've got a 180 in there now I figured it was a good compromise between 195 and 160 degree stat but I have read a lot of different things on the topic also drill a hole in the stat or no??straight distilled water with water wetter for summer cruising?? Thanks again everyone love the forum!!

22. I was going to say the same thing. ^^^^^

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

On the thermostat...180 is a good compromise. 160 will let the engine run a little cooler when it's cool out, and this does increase wear a little bit. Not really an issue if you don't plan to put a whole bunch of miles on the car. If you have trouble with it not opening as it should, then consider drilling a hole in it. Usually not a problem, but some engines seem to have problems.

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  24. I use fast acting Stats on all my cars, Mr Gasket markets a good one or Moroso. There is little difference between a good performance Stat and off the self price wise. I run a 185 most of the time in my small block never have a problem even in 100+ weather and humid here. it is harder to cool a car in humid weather than in dry weather.

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I am a fan of the stainless flex fans. put one on my old 49 sedan and it was like a tornado in the engine compartment.

if you are not getting air flow through the radiator at speed you have much larger problems than the fan. it means you built a car without an opening in the front for a grill/airflow.... the flat fan uses less power than the rigid fan

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  26. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Awesome I don't think mine is having a problem opening so ill just leave the 180 stat right where its at and start with the new fan putting the shroud on and I'm going ahead and ordering a electric fan for my tranny cooler to go with it....I've decided on a flex type so I called up flex a lite and they recommended a 7 blade steel flex fan to move more air through my radiator and according to them its perfect for thick cores its part number 4817 its like the one squirrel recommended except with an extra blade...never owned a 7 blade before kinda fancy for a fan. What do you guys think? Will a 7 out flow a 6 blade on principal?

27. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

I get airflow at speed it only heats up in traffic and stop lights what kind of flex did you run?

28. In theory, but to actually make a real difference it will also need to be larger in diameter. You reach a point of decreasing returns when adding blades to a fan, if the blades are too close together they begin to block the air as much as they move it.

Now we are getting into theory, and sometimes practice trumps theory. You should be fine with the extra blade. ;)

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  29. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

cool well that makes pretty good sense now thinking about it! Ill give it a shot as long as its not a draw back because the 6 blade is 30 bucks cheaper haha

30. They make cooling fans for a living they are not going to sell you something that doesn't work. ;)

Ponchoguy65 likes this.