Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Bluto (Jim P)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superleggera, Apr 2, 2018.

1. pitman

pitman

Have to agree! A grand Elder of our sport.

2. Sorry to hear this news, RIP Bluto.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Rest in Peace Bluto.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

This was from the oldest email I have from Jim , when he had his shop in Long Beach. He really liked that MERCER. user4985_pic160960_1266575968.jpg

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bluto Amazing knowledge will be missed RIP

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  6. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

"and we shall not have his like pass our way again''.
    Jim, my good friend, I will miss you, and our long phone conversations. You helped and inspired many, including myself.
    Thank you, ---and goodbye.

H

7. belair

belair

A loss for many. One of the significant members for a long time.

8. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rest in Peace.

Very sad and condolences to family and friends.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

What a great loss for Zofia my heart goes out to her. All who knew Jim will miss him.

10. Can’t add much to what’s already been said. I always tried to pay attention to his thoughts and stories on the Old Farts social group and will miss his commentary and observations. Godspeed...

11. noboD

noboD

A bunch of years ago Bluto was telling a story on the HAMB about the Mercedes they built. He said if anyone didn't believe him to contact Bill Jackson. It just happens Bill lives a few miles from me so I walked into his office and mentioned if he knew a guy named Bluto. Bill told me the exact same story like it was rehearsed. SO I asked him why anyone would call themself Bluto. Bill laughed and said I had obviously not seen a picture of him. Bib overhauls, full beard, and a big smile described Bluto to a T. He will be missed. My best thoughts for Z in her sad time.

12. Condolences to his Family

13. superleggera

superleggera

The Bluto username? It was not from the Animal House character. Jim chose it as he physically emulated the rather large, bearded, muscle bound fellow who serves as Popeye's nemesis and arch rival at times -- and who was very fond of hamburgers.

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Wow what sad news! Condolences to family and friends. Can some one set up an archive of his contributions?? His encyclopedic knowledge of all things mechanical will be missed nearly as much as his insight, sense of humor and humble humanity!

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sad news indeed. Got to know Jimski after I joined the Old Farts social group. We had some spirited discussions at times, but never left the forum angry or feeling upset. Jim was one of the most knowledgeable men I have ever known about such a broad range of automobilia and motorsports. He drove races in places and on tracks I only read about.
    Yes, he was very proud of Zofia, both in her storied accomplishments and her poise and beauty.
    His health had been declining lately and he struggled to type a post.
    I received a PM or "comversation" sent to me on Sun. 3/25/18 to which I replied a few of days later on the 29th, as for whatever reason the HAMB notification system had failed to email me that I had a message. I only hope that he saw my reply and didn't pass away thinking I hadn't replied to his PM.

16. DAMN! He used to be one of my favorite guys to read here on the HAMB. I think he knew as much about early Olds engines and 4 speed hydros as Paul does and that's saying something. I'll miss Bluto...

17. This is so sad, Jim's knowledge spanned all aspects of the automotive world, from hot rods, sports cars, land speed racing and exotics. I will miss reading his wonderful posts.

RIP

Mick

18. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gods speed Bluto . Your Knowledge will be missed along with the stories about Bird.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A sad day for the HAMB indeed. I'm another who truly enjoyed reading what he had to say.

20. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Proffit lasted a lot longer than he thought he would as he has had heart problems for decades . . . I remember him showing me his 39 GMC and running through his photos of the 39 BMW he restored and raced in the Mille Miglia. A gifted man on many counts.

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Rest in peace Jim.

I will miss our phonecalls.

22. 53chevy

53chevy

Bummer, one of the originators on here. His knowledge was vast and deep, all things automotive. Safe Travels Sir..............

23. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

He always intrigued me. Never knew him or spoke with him. His knowledge and experience was a real surprise. Enough there for a pretty interesting biography I’m sure

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He was such a pain in my ass... I'm gonna miss him.

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

RIP Bluto, your postings always brightened my days.

26. I had a few phone calls from Jim - he liked my O/T car. Amazing knowledge and experience. We discussed meeting at Retromobile Paris several years but never managed to be there on the same days, I should have altered my plans.

RIP Jim

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm so sorry to hear it. I didn't have nearly as much contact with him as I'd have liked. He was an extremely interesting man.

Rest eternal grant unto Jim, O Lord,
    And let light perpetual shine upon him.
    May he rest in peace, and rise in glory.

28. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

images-54.jpg
    RIP. We should bump one of his old threads to keep his memory alive.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  29. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Man I hate to hear this. I had many conversations with him over the years and his collection was mindboggling. He was truly a class act. I'm still sporting the rear view mirror from a P-51 Mustang, that I go from him, in my '33 sedan. RIP Jim.

30. Never2low

Never2low