Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser? pv554 Volvo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIMETZ MARTINEZ, Apr 1, 2018.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

There was a black one back east in my hometown, that had 14" chrome reverse wheels, and 60 series tires on it. I think it had a later motor also, but the bottom line is it was a good looking ride.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do what you believe you can pull off and be happy about it.

scotty t likes this.
  3. DosCoupe

DosCoupe

Back in the late 60s I saw one with a hipo 289, it went like crazy. The 1.8 liter with twin carbs is a strong motor. I had one but the Volvo parts were very expensive. The wiring looked pretty challenging.

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

johnspics 012.JPG johnspics 011.JPG johnspics 011.JPG Here is a 1955 Volvo I sold a while back. For inspiration. johnspics 010.JPG johnspics 010.JPG johnspics 016.JPG

61cad and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  5. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Do what you want brother we don't pay your bills.

Come back and tell us how it went.

6. ...no reason not to build it gasser style, it'll look cool....here ya go...
    art 2018 127.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  7. oj

oj

Whats the wheelbase on one?

8. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

gasser no, vintage road racer yes. DSCN3610.JPG

Nailhead Jason and G-son like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now you're talk'n.
    I'm imagining the late 50's/early 60's Australian Holden circuit racers.
    Google it, some cool videos too.

G-son likes this.
  10. New fad...Street Junior Stockers [​IMG]

misigis likes this.
  11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If you were to get a donor 740/ 760 turbo car for a source, it should almost be a 'bolt-in', would appear 'stock', & would definitely be a 'gas' to drive(as well as get 20+/- mpg), without affecting the handling the way a V-8 would.

12. J D Coop

J D Coop

These were great little cars. I've owned a couple of them. The twin SU's had to be re-tuned every time the weather changed. This was my first one and daily driver for several years.
    upload_2018-4-3_10-59-14.png

There was a local wrecking yard with a bunch of them so I went in to see if they had a working speedometer. He said he had six of them but none of his Volvo parts were for sale. Guy loved his 544s. His personal 544 had a rodded up 289 that he claimed would pull wheelies.

13. I was going to say for the era that we shoot for it may not have been legal in the gas ranks. I don't remember the year but eventually most sanctioning bodies accepted import bodies with small displacement motors in them. ( maybe it was around '65).

In the later '60s there was a wheel base rule change that put most of the imports into the altered ranks. The Volvo may be long enough to get past that rule.

I like the baby Fords they are a perfect candidate for a small block powered 3/4 size '46 Ford. :D

BTW EM that is a slick Volvo my friend. :cool:

14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

15. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks Beaner. I just wish I had some pictures of it. Never thought about taking pictures too much back then. I always loved the look of the Ford Thunderbolt teardrop (reverse) hood scoops so my Volvo had to have one. It looked and fit great!

- EM