Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Cadillac, Smithy's vs Porter mufflers

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bridgemillroaddevil, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Hello!

I want to replace the muffflers on my 1956 Cadillac.
    20170520_210635.jpg
    It got 2” dual exhaust.
    I am considering 22" Smithy's or 22" Porters but I can't decide which sound I like the most. I've found a couple of videos with good sound on YouTube of the Porters but can't find a video with good sound of the Smithy's.

I hope you guys can help me compare the sound of these two mufflers, by uploading videos or sound clips.

Or just write your own opinion of the Smithy'sand the Porter's and try to describe the differences in sound between the Smithy's and Porter mufflers.

Best regards
    David

2. Hey, i am no authority on the matter, but ended up getting a set of the shortest Porter mufflers available ( back when i was building my flathead ) but will use them on my 390 when the time comes. The Smithy's v Porter discussion is a personal preference like Coke V Pepsi, sort of....I did a thread showing video clips on different Flathead's running mufflers/no mufflers, pipe diameter, length etc But they were all Flatheads, and they have a sound of their own.

Im going to get some lake headers made up for the 390 too, that should be pretty wild.

3. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

You can always try one of each ;).
    Then ya buy a third of your choice & still have a spare for the next ride.

4. egads

egads

I have had both on an fe ford and a y block and a 283, they all sounded great. I'm no help am I.:)

5. Do you have any videos of your rides with the Smithy's or Porters?

6. egads

egads

Sorry, but I don't have any way to do that,I'll ask a buddy if he can and let you know.

7. Please can you describe the difference of the sound of smithy's vs Porter's?

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you say each word 10 times out loud real fast I find that I prefer the mellow sound that the word "porter" makes, compared to the tinny "smithy" even though the "th" is pronounced as "tt".

That experiment being done I put smithys behind my flathead and they sounded wild during break in. I should have it up and running again in a week or so. Ill post up a video of the grand occasion.

9. 49toad

49toad

Check out Brockman Mellow tones. Have then on my 49 olds and 56 Ford Y-block. Sound great.

Dan Hay likes this.
  10. southerncad

southerncad

OK, call me prejudice, but its a Caddy, keep it mellow, and use some Turbos....I love em' on mine...

11. I’m running a SBC Chevy, a tad radical, with a pair of Porters about 2’ long.
    A beautiful sound. A little loud but tolerable. Has a sweet snap when you bang the throttle.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is a video of my caddy powered 40 with 14" porters

13. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

I was looking for a certain sound. I found Smitty made mufflers 2-1/2 in and out. I have sbc. Can’t get the sound to play

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Maybe you can e-mail me the sound clip?

15. I finally bought 26” smithy's. How should they be installed, the louvers towards the engine or opposite direction?

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was always told that the louver openings are supposed to face the engine. They say if you run them the other way that the vacuum created by the exhaust going over the openings will drag the fiberglass out of the mufflers.