Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a car that is not for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 15, 2017.

1. IMG_4261.JPG IMG_2190.JPG IMG_4257.JPG

I’ll never sell my 31 Ford. It’s been in the family since 1969 when my dad bought it from behind a gas station in Miami, Florida. He saved up money mowing lawns and borrowed a few bucks from his dad and bought her home...him and my grandpa restored it and put a hot V8-60 that was out of an old midget racer in to hop her up without cutting the car up at all. My dad restored it again with me when I was a little kid and he gave it to me on my 19th birthday. I plan on doing the same one day. I’m always torn between leaving it the way it is, or taking off the fenders and putting in a dropped axle...for now I will leave here like she is though!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. junkman8888

junkman8888

I don't have cars that are not for sale, I have cars nobody in their right mind would buy!

lothiandon1940, Ron Brown and enloe like this.
  3. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I used to say that none of my cars are for sale. Several years ago, I had 13 very nice collector cars. I loved them all. I get emotionally attached to all my cars. I would not buy them otherwise. I also bought the Finkosel which brought me great joy Then something wonderful happened. My grandbabies were born. All of the sudden the cars didn't seem so important. I sold 8 of the cars and the Finkosel. I used the money to set up my grandbabies so they will not have to struggle like i did growing up. I do miss the cars but would do it over again in a heart beat. The 5 cars i was left with are my most prized, and they are not currently for sale. But that experience has taught me to never say never.

Hyfire, Thor1, wbrw32 and 4 others like this.
  4. philo426

philo426

What is a finkosel?

5. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

FINKOSEL = April Fools ?

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Finkosel was made by master woodworker @Chaz
    0807sr_58_z-56th_detroit_autorama-finkosel.jpg

7. exterminator

exterminator

I have to change what i originally said early in this post that both my cars (40 ford pickup and 41 ply conv) were not for sale but that would just apply to my 40 only since it now has a blower.:)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0791.JPG IMG_1136.JPG I've got two cars that are not for sale, the Studebaker and the Chevy, I wish the Stude was as driveable as the 38.....but old people need projects.

chryslerfan55, dana barlow and Gammz like this.
  9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I would never sell my '40 or my '59 Tbird. Or the '64 Chevy van and '65 mustang fastback I got from my uncle. And if I get it someday, I'd never sell my dad's '56 Ford F100... It means more to me than he knows, it's the truck that's y block gave me the old car itch, the truck I learned to drive a manual transmission in, the truck that just smells right. 20170612_093439.jpg

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  10. philo426

philo426

Cragar S/S rims too!

11. A family member is not for sale ! Wheels Umeå.jpg

12. wsdad

wsdad

Speaking of regular people owning extraordinary cars, I was in the Kroger (a grocery store) parking lot, when a very elderly white-hair couple pulled up in a spotless antique Rolls Royce that looked brand new, complete with wide white wall tires. They were dressed in a suit and a dress and they both had hats. They looked like they just got out of church in 1958.

They took a long time to make it to the door and a long time to come back out. (I was parked near, eating lunch in my service truck.)

The grocery bagger loaded thier groceries into the car. It was just another day at the grocery store for them and thier daily driver.

This was about the fourth time I've seen them at this same couple Kroger in about 3 years. Every time, thier Rolls Royce and they are immaculate.

'Kinda makes me want to butt into thier shopping trip, just to talk with them.

I wonder how many offers they've turned down on their car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  13. I hope I'm like most on this site, I only have 3 cars & 2 don't run.
    My cars are not rare high dollar cars, but I bought them cuz' I like them.
    At this time none of my cars are for sale.
    Just shoot me an offer & see.

14. Way to go.Doc in Shreveport//must be a lot of guys posing that are childless...NO DAMN CAR In the world worth a childs life..especially your own,

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I have kept my high school rod that I built in 1959 for high school,not for sale. I built a number of other cars, an had one stolen also would of kept if I could of,my full custom Henry J. At lest I'd like too think,I would of kept my "J" also.

MHSfrontage.jpg MHShistorySign.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Moriarity, Hank37, enloe and 4 others like this.
  16. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

I thought so but I need more headroom Bettie has to go the 32 is up for new home

17. verde742

verde742

I have had lots of cars, some I thought I would NEVER sell.

Howard Hughes was quoted: There may be a lot of stuff not for sale, but EVERYTHING can be bought ! because every person has an unknown price at which they will sell.

If you have one you will not part with: Opportunity AND Need has never converged. IMO

HAPPY is the man who leaves a car show with the key that fits the car he likes best, in HIS pocket.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  18. My 33 Chevy Cabriolet. Goes to my daughter when I'm gone and then my grandson who loves to cruise in it! DSC04698a.jpg

19. philo426

philo426

How much wood structure is in that conv?

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'll sell any car I own. I've been pretty attached to a lot of em, but ultimately they're just vehicles that go from point A to point B.. I'm a builder and am always looking ahead to the next one.

21. None, all converted to steel.

22. philo426

philo426

23. philo426

philo426

The Saint would have a coronary if he saw what you did to that Volvo!

enloe likes this.
  24. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Been in the family since '73. No plans for it to leave. 01 march75org.jpg DSCF1050.JPG

25. Owned it since 59 may get buried in it ! IMG_3694.JPG

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. philo426

philo426

Dig that Packard Grille not from a LaSalle!