Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Aero-Engined Vintage Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteveLines, Nov 11, 2007.

1. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

=====================================
    Hello Rolf,
    He had a dream and realized it! The same shall you!
    I am patient and waiting for a joy ride, similar that you enabled me with your magnificent Salmson! I am not sure how fast we cruised around your town, but it was wonderful! (couldn't have time to look at speedometer)... Twisting, narrow roads through fields and woods multiplied enjoyment and feeling of speed... Forgot to take any picture, but memory is still fresh.
    --- ---
    From attached photo, it seems to me that brave, lucky and happy guy was testing aircraft engine on the unusual platform. The engine is big, a propeller too - and by looks to me as from the late twenties or early thirties: propeller had a system for changing a pitch, adjusted on the ground or in flight?
    The platform looks quite strong, rude and primitive, like some big kart from a railway station, for transporting heavy freights, pulled by electric carette? That heavy and big wooden beams could be for braking?
    Dardevil vehicle, for sure and need dardevil driver/flyer!
    Keep building, with a joy and fun, and inform us from time to time!

Ciao,
    Zoran

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just found out Alfa built Aero Engines. Bob DSCF9587.JPG

Herb Kephart likes this.
  3. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Some pictures about the progress of the car image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Rolf!
    Nice presentation of your excellent progress on magnificent project of aero-monster: your creation of Curtiss-GN-FN alsmost flying automobile!
    Keep building and informing us, please.

Regards,
    Zoran

Rolfzoller likes this.
  5. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

cfn 27.3.18 003.JPG cfn 27.3.18 010.JPG cfn 27.3.18 018.JPG cfn 27.3.18 021.JPG cfn 27.3.18 022.JPG
    Made some Body Panels from 0.3mm Aluminium to get an Idee about the final look

Outback, brEad, Clark and 5 others like this.
  6. uncle buck

uncle buck

Sorry, it was long gone when we picked up the chassis

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Outback likes this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been watching this thread with moderate interest, because I have no dog in this fight. However, something piqued my interest. In post #598, there is an image showing a notice from the "War Department" (love that title) offering surplus OX-5 engines for sale to the general public. In that publication, it states that the engines weigh 390 lbs. Is that correct? Even with extensive use of aluminum and magnesium, it seems an impossible weight for an engine so large. The crankshaft alone had to be over 100 lbs.

Outback likes this.
  8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Spindly crankshafts are characteristic of early engines, compared with modern ones. That's often a major limit to performance potential. Metal fatigue strength is something that has only relatively recently really come to be understood, though many engine designers developed a sense for that from around the middle of the 20th century, which is why a '60s crank might already look more like a log with bits cut a way than like a bent piece of wire. Modern bearing overlaps are seriouser still: one of only a handful of real recent advances in automotive engineering.

Herb Kephart likes this.
  9. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Rolfzoller, the car is looking great. What brakes are you using? Is that a drum of Blaser Swisslube I see in the background? Our local distributor brings all their scrap metals to the scrapyard I work at.
    Ned, good to see you here. Not surprising with aero engined cars being a somewhat unusual topic.

Tubman, as Ned said spindly crankshafts and don't forget with aircraft weight is a major consideration, and these aircraft weren't expected to last very long in battle.

Outback likes this.
  10. kursplat

kursplat

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/journal-c.htm a start for anyone else like me that needs a lesson or reminder of what that is.

Outback likes this.
  11. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Rolf!
    Great development of your project!

I thought that your (and any other GN or Fraser-Nash with aero-engine) couldn't be more beautiful than with naked chassis and exposed engine and mechanics... But, your new carrosserie gave it new charm!

Of course, I would have the patience to wait for a joy ride as a passenger, braveness too!
    (your Salmson was fast but safe in your hands, over twisty roads across fields and woods, so I have experience)

All the best to the end of projects and then a lot of joy and fun in driving it!

Regards, Zoran

12. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Hello Joe,the brakes are Frazer Nash and the drum in the back is from Blaser.I use Blaser cutting emulsion in my mechanical workshop.

13. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

0987DBA3-1DDF-4780-A882-3D3E649CC31E.jpeg 48120D82-F9C4-4FFD-902B-9272A1B8C1A0.jpeg BD274277-8BCF-499D-B42A-5833051270E2.jpeg
    Hello tubman,the weight without oil and water is approximately 390 lbs.

14. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Hello Zoran,
    looking forward to make ride with you.

motoklas likes this.
  15. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

...goooooooooooood, niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    Wunderbar!
    Zoran

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had seen that figure earlier, and it was what prompted my question in the first place. I was quite surprised at how light it was. I would think that the vehicle would have a favorable power to weight ratio and quite sprightly performance . I have checked a few more places, and the 390 lb figure is correct,which is amazing to me. I can see why you used one. It goes without saying that you are doing a beautiful job.

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

While the OX-5 was plentiful after WWI, the Ranger was plentiful after WWII. At 440 cubic inches, air cooled it produced up to 200 HP vs the OX-5 at about 100 from 500 cubic inches and weighed only 370 lbs. with all accessories. The SOHC eliminated pushrods and magnesium castings carried the cam, the cam cover and the rear engine housing.

Most of the sprint cars Mac mentions were uprights. Here is a photo of a laydown roadster. A similar car was built by Marv Faw and ran with IMCA.

I am currently rebuilding one of these engines.

[​IMG]

This is the engine in it's normal inverted position.
    [​IMG]

banjeaux bob and Herb Kephart like this.
  18. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

]
    The winners car of this race (Duncan Pitaway) is also powered by a Curtiss OX5 engine.

19. SNS FAB

SNS FAB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seen this a couple of years ago sitting behind a guys shop. Don't know any history of it. I believe he said it was a Ranger engine. 153.jpg 154.jpg 155.jpg 156.jpg

Outback, Clark, morac41 and 3 others like this.
  20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when I vintage raced ('60's dirt modified, not this high class stuff), there were a couple of guys running Ranger powered "Big Cars". One had his running great, while the other guy seemed to spend all of his time "poppin' and jerkin'" around the track. Even the good running one wasn't very fast. I suppose this was to be expected, because the Rangers were at a low state of tune. That "laydown" a couple of posts back looks like it would win races on looks alone!

Outback likes this.
  21. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

TERRIBLE NEWS

Bluto, aka Jimbo-- Jim P, had a heart attack Friday. Z, his wife was home at the time and called an ambulance, but the EMT's had a difficult time getting his heart going again. As of yesterday, his heart was beating and he was breathing with a ventilator. He was still in a coma, and his pupils do not respond to light. It remains to be seen how much of his brain is gone from lack of oxygen, while his heart was stopped.
    Z sent an Email yesterday with the news.

If you are the praying sort, you know what to do--but please don't forget his wife. She sees everything that she loved -gone.

Both of them need God's help

Herb

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Outback likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Herb, This is terrible news, had a chat with Jim just last weekend, and he seamed in good spirits. Praying for the best.

Bob

Outback likes this.
  23. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree praying that it has a somewhat better outcome. Jim is one of the good guys.

Outback likes this.
  24. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Very Sorry to hear that, hoping for a good recovery!

25. noboD

noboD

Thanks Herb. I have lost touch with Jim other then on these threads. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thanks for the update Herb. Keeping them both in our prayers.

27. rgdavid

rgdavid

Thinking better thoughts for Bluto and his wife,

28. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

In Gedanken bin ich bei ihnen und wünsche ihnen alles gute und viel Kraft.(In certain situations I can’t find the right words in English)

Outback likes this.
  29. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

Best wishes to Bluto and his family.

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Best wishes and prayers to Bluto and Family.
    Leo