Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Travel tools for road trips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am planning a trip in May to the Hot Rod Hundred in Wisconsin and I am trying to put together the ultimate tool kit. I have limited space in the 35 pickup, so trying to maximize space. I don't wanna hafta haul tools into the hotel every night. I have a small box in the bed I plan on loading up.

I am looking at one of the aluminum HF jacks, some of the bag jumper cables, foldable 4 way etc.

Anyone know of a good tool kit in a case? I am searching Amazon, but it's hard to tell sometimes til you have it in your hands. What other invaluable tools do you carry? This trip will be close to 2,000 miles.

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I got one at Lowe’s self contained in a plastic box, saved my but many of times, take it every where with me. Bones

Tri-power37, 49ratfink and Roothawg like this.
  3. Terrible80

Terrible80

I have one from Eastwood, like a small briefcase with end wrenches, ratchets, Allens and a multi tip screwdriver. Also Sears has them, different piece counts.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  4. canning

canning

Duct tape, electrical tape and baling wire.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's how I built it....

Clay Belt, TagMan, bubba55 and 4 others like this.
  6. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

×2 on duct tape.
    Zip ties, every possible fluid like oil, coolant. A stop leak additive. A big hammer, a big flat head screw driver. Flash light, fuses. And a light that can be used like on a trailer if your head/tail lights fail.

bobwop likes this.
  7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I will add a length of electrical wire, some fuel hose and filter, headlamp, and a breaker bar with correct socket to fit the wheel nuts.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

all you really need is a AAA card, cell phone & your Fellow Pages

trollst, Elcohaulic and Marcia like this.
  9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

AAA card,cell phone!!! I carry a head gasket, a spare set up distributor, plugs, and fan belt. Small tool kit, fluids. Battery jumper pack basically to run my GPS.

Clay Belt and Knghtcadi like this.
  10. cracker head

cracker head

I carry all the same basic wrenches, sockets,pliers I built the car with. Long hauls I carry one of those small piece of shit jacks that comes in a plastic case. Zip ties, bailing wire and duck tape for the rest of the shit that won’t tighten back up.

Roothawg likes this.
  11. Or go over the whole car beforehand to help eliminate any travel issues.

squirrel, Jalopy Joker and Montana1 like this.
  12. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Vicegrips, Big f’n Hammer, pry bar and zip ties

Also think about any unusual or specialty tools you’d need for your car. I need a funny shaped wrench to change the condenser on my Y block so I carry it on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chop job and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  13. I always say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." That being said just crawl around the truck and look at everything before you go.

Make sure you have some extra fuses, a flashlight, a jug of water, some extra oil, a bottle of brake fluid, and take along any special tools you might need.

For instance, I have allen head bolts on my shorty headers. I had to cut off an allen wrench to get in next to the outside pipes. It's in my tool box under the seat. Take some extra exhaust gaskets too and some RTV.

They don't always break down next to NAPA, or O'reilly's!

Enjoy the trip! :)

Knghtcadi likes this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

All the above ;)

15. Side cutters,there's wire everywhere,test light and a length of electrical wire with alligator clips already fitted.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

There are a few other, older threads on this. Gary

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

18. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I carry this socket set in each of my cars, bought on sale 70% off.
    Takes up very little room and is probably more sockets than I would need on the side of the road

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

don't forget a fire extinguisher.

I hope we can meet. I am not sure about participating in the event, but it is on the calendar.

I am very close to the starting point, so don't be bashful if I can be of any assistance.

chop job and Roothawg like this.
  20. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

A bottle Jack and a bottle of Jack.

Actually if you run a thermostat I like to drill three 3/8" holes in it so even if it sticks coolant still flows. Stupid to mention but when checking tire pressure check the spare. A Delco one wire alternator is good, easy to connect one wire to battery +. Try it at home garage first, you may need to fabricate a bracket. V belt (s).
    Like mentioned I like those big plastic boxes and some things like 4 way lug wrench I drilled holes in top and zip tied to lid. Saves space. Get one of those cheap Swiss Army knives that has everything even pliers.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

21. squirrel

squirrel

do you have 4 different size lug nuts on your truck?

If space is at a premium, only bring what you might use.

pat59 and guthriesmith like this.
  22. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I forgot to mention an electric fuel pump, fuel hose and clamps. And buy or make a long clip lead wire with alligator clip ends. If you have space an 8"x8x12"(or so) wood block can be handy.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

patmanta likes this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Roothawg, take it from another “ Okie” head to Lowe’s and get that $100 or so tool kit. It’s anout 3 inches thick and will lay in the floor of your pickup , won’t kill you if someone steals it, readily replaceable. I’ve had mine for two years, won’t leave the house without it. Like I said , saved my butt many times. Bones

Edit : if you get it ,add a 7/16 wrench, I guess it was designed my foreigners, because they omitted that wrench. Bones

Roothawg likes this.
  24. Maybe it's just me but regardless of what I packed in the way of tools I never have exactly what I need at the time.

For years,I never even carried a screwdriver and was fortunate I didn't need it,but I was traveling with friends that obsessed with caring too many tools and parts and had I need anything they had it.

I now care a small box of tools and after last years flat on the all Deuce Run I now carry a tire plugging kit and a small compressor that plugs into a power take off. HRP

Normant93 and Roothawg like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I tend to fly by the seat of my pants. My wife is the planner in the family. I am trying to change my evil ways, but I admit it.

Hi everyone, My name is Root and I am not a planner......

NashRodMan and Normant93 like this.
  26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't matter what tools you take with you - the tool you need, won't be there !

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I'm headed to the middle of no where I always bring my Glock. If I'm taking a stroll in the middle of the night I'm not doing it unarmed. It gets tucked in the ditty bag with the small battery jump box, one of those travel socket kits/screw drivers in a zippered pouch I got from a snap on rep as a present years ago, a couple of LED flashlights, my electrical multi tester, tape, zip ties, duct tape, air gauge, distributor wrench, a Bible, a copy of Crosby, Stills Nash and Young's Deja vu and the number for a good attorney.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What, no "Freebird"!:eek:

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's a tip if you're ever traveling south to CA, pull the magazine out of the gun (and make sure there is no cartridge in chamber), and store both the gun and the mag in the bag, just put a small luggage lock on it, and you'll be legal (should you ever be searched). CA gun laws require the gun to be unloaded and in a locked container, but "container" is not specified, and a zippered pouch with a luggage lock has been accepted as compliant in court. Also, it's OK that both the mag and the gun are together in the same compartment, you just can't have the mag in the guy. It's not likely that you would ever be searched, but you never know, and this way you would be in compliance.

Sorry to the admin's, I don't mean to spin this thread off topic, and I hope it doesn't devolve into a bunch of gun discussion, I just wanted to help out anybody who travels to this state with a firearm to prevent unwanted visits to our jails and our court systems.

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

It doesn't matter where I go, I'm armed.

Fordor Ron and Clay Belt like this.