Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I bought a coupe - in Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cederholm, Apr 1, 2018.

1. cederholm

cederholm

...sorry for the long read.

I've always wanted to build a hot rod and over the years I've been trying to build up my skills to do just that. Rebuild a few motors, restored a few cars, practiced my welding, wiring, painting, upholstery and anything else that could be helpful. About 10 years ago I even bought a 1952 flathead in hopes of building a car around it. The motor was a mess and I spent time stripping it and discovering a scored crank and spent rod. The block seemed okay, but without the immediate need for a running motor is got bagged and shelved for a decade.

During that time I did up a few old cars including the Chev in my avatar but always dreaming of building a model A coupe but that costs money.

From 1967 (the year I was born) to 1978 my father worked at Hasbro designing toys. He was a sculptor and sculpted many of the GI Joe figures. When he passed I was left with his collection of GI Joe stuff, including many hand made items. Although I always cherished the collection, in truth it just sat in the attic in many plastic tubs. It's sat there untouched for 15 years until I got an email. The head of Hasbro's marketing department and avid collect and author of GI Joe history tracked me down to discuss my memories of my father and his work. When we met this collector was blown away with what I had and we stuck a deal. I felt his price was more than fair and knowing that my father's work would be on display and written about made me very happy. ...and now I had a little Hot Rod money.

That 8BA went to one of the best know builders in the north east and got excellent bill of health and the machining started. He did the machine work and help me ensemble a "kit" for me to rebuild. A 4" Eagle crank, Scat rods, Ross pistons, isky cam and Offy heads were all on the list as well as valves, springs gaskets etc.

Next was to find a car, searching all usual places I expected to be hauling something from far away. I mean good luck finding old iron in NYC. ...then I spotted a suspect lest then 5 miles away from my house. A complete, rust-free, running/driving fully registered and insured 1930 Model A coupe that was within my budget.

The rest is history and I'm more than excited to start my journey.

Here are some pics,
    Carl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks good.

cederholm likes this.
  3. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

nice start ...go get em and keep us posted

cederholm likes this.
  4. Congratulations!!

cederholm likes this.

5. Buying an older restored car like that is the best way to get a good solid car to build a hot rod. So what are your plans for it besides the V8 swap?

cederholm likes this.
  6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Kool story, Great plan...

cederholm likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hope that you kept some of your Dad's GI Joe collection. Great that he was able to help finance your new project - have fun

cederholm likes this.
  8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Nice score Sir.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

cederholm likes this.
  9. Great story. And great car.
    It's like your dad is still there to help..........
    My dad never got to ride in our roadster but I know he would have liked it. As a P-38 pilot in WWII he liked machines.
    Keep us posted.

Clay Belt and cederholm like this.
  10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

make your late dad smile !

cederholm and ring gap like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great story attic treasure just got shifted to the garage, and you have something you can drive around while remembering your dad.

Bob

cederholm likes this.
  12. cederholm

cederholm

That's a great question 38, my original vision before getting this car was chopped, slightly channeled fenderless car, but I'm loving the shape of this thing with the full hight roof and fenders so I have some thinking to do.

Since the car is running/driving I'll go slow. I'll enjoy it as is this summer as I take my time building that flathead. Then I'll start making modifications like converting it to juice brakes, modifying the suspension and ride hight, change the wheels and tires and collect the parts needed for the engine swap. But this will be over time. And I'll most likely have to let the Chevy go to make some room. That kinda sucks.
    ~ Carl

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like a great plan, enjoy the car for what it is now. If you do things step by step you will always have a car that is functional and not scattered all over the garage, not that there is anything wrong with that. Bob

cederholm likes this.
  14. dan31

dan31

Carl, I was born in 68' and grow up playing with the G.I. Joes that your dad designed. Spent many hours with neighborhood kids creating epic battle scenes ,fun stuff, glad to hear that they will be seen . Car looks awesome-great find.

cederholm likes this.
  15. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, good luck !

cederholm likes this.
  16. Wow great story and history! The car looks great. Looking forward to seeing the progress

cederholm likes this.
  17. 0nedon

0nedon

Great story and nice car-good luck

cederholm likes this.
  18. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Very cool . Enjoy the ride .

cederholm likes this.
  19. brady1929

brady1929

Cool. Congrats.

cederholm likes this.
  20. cool on you...good luck and have fun

cederholm likes this.
  21. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Cool story, love the coupe.

cederholm likes this.
  22. cederholm

cederholm

Okay, it could be that my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I can't find a full fendered, unchopped Model A picture thread. I've found the T's and '32s but not an A thread. ...and there must be one.

Any help out there?

23. I cant believe no one has quipped at you about cutting up such a nice model A .
    I am sure it will come !!!
    Nice project and way to start with the best you can !!!!

cederholm likes this.
  24. Looks like a great start. They make killer hotrods even with stock bodies.

nunattax and cederholm like this.
  25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Cederholm nice find, I was just down at my son's for Easter he's in Prospect Heights but that's not the story, I lived on LI and had a few Willys at the time and while looking through the Buy Lines paper spotted an ad for a 36 Willys 4dr. sed. body in Bensonhurst and went and bought it. It was a complete stocker completely apart in this garage behind the house. The body was on a shelf at the front of the garage so he could get his regular car in there. My family had a 3 story house right on Meeker ave.
    That was until the late 60's. Picture is if finished car.

Pat

Attached Files:

cederholm likes this.
  26. Toner283

Toner283

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...enders-and-running-boards-lets-see-em.484618/

There is the link for the full fendered thread. Both chopped and non in it. Bad news is that it is an old enough thread that it is a victim of the Photobucket debacle. Unfortunately lots of pictures missing.

cederholm likes this.
  27. Buy Vern Tardels Book and follow along..hot rod in no time

28. cederholm

cederholm

First thing I did! Thx!

29. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Find a pin striper near-by and have them letter " Thanks Dad " on the trunk.

cederholm likes this.
  30. congrats , good luck on the build.. looks like a great start there !

cederholm likes this.