Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Doing a valve job the old way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 31, 2018.

1. You're right Jim, but no one wants to admit that. LOL

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Caddy flatheads are great engines! Even better with a 4 speed hydro behind them.
    47caddyandscotty.jpg

3. squirrel

squirrel

I need to get the barracuda done, too....too many distractions! should get my front axle this coming week, but I'll be out of town again for another robotics competition.

the car, as David is cleaning it up....lots of pack rat infestation, which makes it all the more fun. The doggie is having fun.

open.jpg

I got the valves out of the "good" side of the engine, they look much better, all those exhaust valves were newly replaced, and none of it is rusty, so I'm just going to wire wheel them and lap them and see how they look.

Also got the two broke head bolts out of the "bad" side, the first one was a bit more of a challenge than it should have been, but now that we have the drill bushing centering system figured out, the three on the other side should go easier.

Looking at the head that was off the engine already, it had got water in cylinder 6, which is why David took it apart in the first place. That's the cylinder that has a rust pit where the top of the piston was (down in the hole pretty far), and those valves were the rustiest, and the only one that was stuck. Not sure why it got water, but doesn't look like there was any sealer on the head gaskets? maybe there's a crack in there, who knows. will have to check it out carefully. The heads appear to have been surfaced, and they still cleaned up ok with a large whetstone and solvent (my poor man's surfacing machine).

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D More fun with the Forbes boys.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. Slopok

Slopok

Where at in Joliet does it begin? I would like to witness the start of this.

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I tell my significant other I am not cheap, I'm fiscally responsible!

8. Good luck. Look forward to your adventure.

9. pat59 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

#6 valve might have been open while the engine was parked and mice using it for a nest?
    My buddy got a 283 for free that was stored at a farm without the distributor hole covered.
    When the intake was pulled there was a huge nest in the lifter valley :eek:, it was ugly some of the bottoms of the push rods were rusted through. He did rebuild it to use in his hot rod.
    Should be a blast, David and Jim's Excellent Adventure:D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  11. plan9

plan9

That Hearse is rad, cant beat the vintage either.... and you and your bro can crash in the back. Good luck!

12. Yep, I wrap the chuck with aluminium foil, and have a retired shower curtain to cover the ways.
    Bob

Willy_P likes this.
  13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Watching to condemn if failure and to claim accolades for being along in the case of success ! ;) ............Well, maybe just watching. :D

Nostrebor and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

The engine is from a 1942 Cadillac, apparently someone put a rebuilt engine in it some time ago. probably in the 1970s. The original LaSalle engine was a 322 and had a 3-3/8" bore, this engine is a 346 and has a 3-1/2" (plus .030 over) bore. The top ring is 3/32, second ring is 1/8, the oil rings are (yes two of them) 5/32. Fun stuff. I spent a while looking through the Hastings ring catalog to find some engines that used the same rings, the top ring from a 239 Y block is the only thing I found that was slightly available.

nothing that fancy. If there's a nice even gray ring entirely around the valve face, and the entire seat has a nice gray ring all the way around it, then it's done.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    bulletpruf, OahuEli, Willy_P and 3 others like this.
  15. midroad

midroad

I did a rebuild on a Ford flathead about 45 years ago. I did the same as you are doing here, cleaned the parts up and reused them if they looked OK. It was the first engine I built and I did it this way for 2 reasons. 1/ I didn't know any better and 2/ I had no money to spend on it. The end result was great. I sold it not long after and the guy who bought it ran it for a few years with no problems. I've done a lot of engines since and I believe these old designs were built with poor maintenance in mind. Even an SBC or a Windsor will run if nearly worn out but modern ones stop at the first sign of trouble.

16. Hey that thing looks like it gave a lot of slow , one way rides to room temperature customers....

(You do know the Neil Young song "Long may you run" was about his '53 Buick Hearse. Now you got a new 8 track to look for! ) Thanks for the additional info. I'm doing a set of (off topic) valves myself...

King ford and bct like this.
  17. i think you got a theme song.........

18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks for this thread. Subscribed

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

After some pondering, the last time I lapped in valves and seats I did it before refacing the valves. I then refaced the valves and did another quick lap to match the seats to the valve faces. That way, if you have to grind a lot on the seat, you won't grind a groove into the freshly finished valve faces.

If the rubber cup on the valve lapping tool doesn't hold the valve well, you can cut little squares of double sided tape and turn the valve with another valve as the lapping tool.

An finally (or firstly), as the booklet says, don't forget to check and straighten the valves first, as needed.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  20. squirrel

squirrel

thanks for the double sticky tape suggestion...hmmm...that might be worth a try. I used to have a lapping tool, but don't seem to any more, so I've been faking it.

21. I never thought of the double sided tape, but I did use a sucker on a piece of drill rod, with a little oil to help hold the sucker to the valve. I turn the whole thing with a drill, and it works great.
    Bob

czuch and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Jim, do your valves have a slot on the top of the valves? Bones

GuyW likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Late to the party. Why not!? A die grinder easily is held in place in the tool holder via a hose clamp on the LeBlond at work.

24. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

A few years back I bought a 38 Lasalle that sat a long time , I got a manual and read it. They said if the motor sat the lifters went dry ,so expect clatter when first starting. Well I got it fired up and I swore the pistons were swapping holes! I shut it down , then decided to hell with it I got a motor at home> So I started it again and let it run. Within one minute it was pure quiet.

25. carryallman

carryallman

jim it looks like a fun winter project !! what about the chevy bus in the back ground ? i got a 39 int wayne bus ! got a chassis started & mounted ! just cant seem to get back on it ! anyway i always enjoy your projects !! take care !

26. Some guys have all the fun!

Ben

27. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I always enjoy Jim’s adventures! Like many others, I’m along for the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Watching for the whole trip. Have fun!

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Plenty of room in that hearse to bring along a reliable backup power plant, like your 427.

30. squirrel

squirrel

7 of the exhaust valves have a slot, and I've been using that to help lap them...using a screwdriver.

fortynut and Bowtie Coupe like this.