Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Texas Antique Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MacTexas, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

Received the renewal last Friday and went to the tax office today. They informed me there is an additional form that had to be filled out. The form states that falsifying information is a third degree felony. In the signing statement box it states "frame, body and motor are at least 25 years old" I have had 3 antique plates on my 34 but now I wonder if the law has changed? Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

2. Raunchy

Raunchy

I got mine to renew. All my cars are Antique tagged. So I will see what happens in a small town tag office. I know everything is harder in the office in Tyler. Big town close to us. I know I have never had a problem with titles or anything like a lot of people in Texas have had. All my cars fit that criteria anyway.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that is to keep the freshly built kit cars like Cobras and freshly built street rods on aftermarket frames from registering as "antique".
    It also means that engine, frame and body have to be built pre 1993 which isn't an issue for most guys on here. Looks like the custom frame, fiberglass body LS powered billet wheeled street rods might have to buy regular plates and get inspected in Texas now. Somehow that makes me smile.
    I keep seeing mid 80's sedans running around here with antique plates on them being used as daily drivers and that abuse screws everyone else. When I was driving the 48 all the time I was always having someone tell me that their work beater would be a "classic" next year because it would be 25 years old then.

warhorseracing and XXL__ like this.
  4. CHANGE FEB 2017

5. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

No problems with my 55 Buick with a 66 401 or stock 66 T bird, if your engine is a 1993 or before you are good to go. It's always been a 3rd degree felony to sign a false state document, I agree with Mr48chev

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    72yenkonova likes this.
  6. I went to the nearest Tax Office last Thursday to re-register. I payed & was given a temporary paper plate & a 3/23 sticker. I have to wait for USPS on the new plate.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. XXL__

XXL__

I spent 2 hours yesterday waiting in my local leprosy pit for this issue. Apparently, TX has changed their antique plate process (not the rules, just how they are managing the plates and "kit cars"), so it appears EVERYONE with antique plates has to get new ones. This requires filling out a new VTR-54 application form, as if you were applying for the first time. They'll issue you a paper "plate" with a ridiculously long 7-digit number... to replace all our old 4 and 5 digit plate numbers. Once new plate is stamped, it will be mailed to you (maybe 2-3 weeks). Fees have not changed.

8. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I guess you just have to register it as an antique before you put the LS in it now Haha

9. Raunchy

Raunchy

https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/special-license-plates.php

I think it as said above to keep the fiberglass and kit cars from using antique tags. I knew they came out with the street rod tags, guess that is why. I didn't have to fill out any additional paperwork just name address and signature. They gave me my YOM across the counter. The other tags will be mailed to me to replace the paper ones the tag office gave me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. KKrod

KKrod

Sounds like newer frame repop frame may disqualify from antique plates in tx. Also repo bodies including Brookville. Quite a change.

72yenkonova likes this.
  11. Got about 30 or so running the five year plates expiring this month....so guess I better get started....they did say they were doing away with the five year the last time I transferred/registered one....sooo some good news there.

72yenkonova likes this.
  12. XXL__

XXL__

It's not being done away with. Antique will still be a 5 year registration, as befote. Still $50 (or $40 for 1921 and older vehicles) as before... plus county-level fees as before (ex. Bexar tacks on another $26.50 "road and bridge" fee).

13. Same thing happened to me. They said instead of having all plates expire in March they were now using stickers so your 5 years starts in whatever month you register for the plates.

72yenkonova likes this.
  14. XXL__

XXL__

Received my new plates in the mail,yesterday. MC plates are 5 digit. Car plates are a whopping 7 digit. It looks like a VIN, it's so long ... makes them kind of ugly. I'm going to be looking into YOM plates.

15. I received the new plate last week and it looks way better than the old one! I never liked the old horseless carriage image in the middle of the old plates. The red & black lettering on the white plate looks better, but was hoping for a black plate with white lettering.

16. Me too, just that simple, don't read the directions, just do it, you'll be fine.

72yenkonova likes this.
  17. Same here. THEN it is good for five years.

Ben

72yenkonova likes this.
  18. Yep....did the first of mine...one of my 1964 Honda's and one of my convertible's....was handed them damn paper tags...but good fer five years !

19. Thing is though it also hurts people that scratch build from parts as well. For instance after I finish my projects I currently have I thought of buying reproduction frame and body from this place I found to build a hotrod out of new parts in a old 40`s/50`s style. How ever it wouldn't have a vin and I wouldn't be able to do it as I would have to have emission systems on it. How ever it shouldn't be a problem after I move cause emission testing is only done here in the three big cities and outside of the big three cities it is safety only.

But it hurts more than just the kit car people. But I could always get a work around by hunting down a old vin tag on ebay for my build and affix it and work around it. Same in theory could be done with some of the kit cars out there.

20. XXL__

XXL__

You've got bigger problems than that. In TX, since 2013, you can't even title home built cars--

https://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info...l_book_451.pdf

See pg 376, at 'Eligibility for Title' -- "Homemade vehicles are not eligible for title or registration. Homemade vehicles are described as vehicles that were not previously manufactured by a NHTSA approved manufacturer..."

21. Same as most said above here in Amarillo, but nothing said about the major components to be older than 25 years(my engine is '95). Paid my 67.50, got the 47 digit paper temp. and the sticker to put on the plate when they arrive.
    I was surprised to get the renewal in the first place, cause I was thought I was told when I registered it 2 years ago it was a 5 year thing. I was told last week the 5 year period was from March '13 thru Mar '18, anyone registering their antique car in that time frame was good to 3/18. That has changed to an individual 5 year thing, so whenever you register now, it's good for 5 years from that date.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  22. Oh I know. We are fighting to get that done so home built vehicles can be titled and registered. That's why there is such a huge market for vin tags. I can find all kinds of vin tags on ebay for sale for people that are building their own vehicle to make titling easier.

23. Larry T

Larry T

^^^ And more than a little shady.

But Texas seems to have gone out of their way to make it close to impossible to get a title any type of home built, street driven race car, barn find or field vehicle in the last year.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  24. It is hard. Its hard for me to get a title for my '56 Ford which was my grandfathers. Car has been sitting here since he passed in '86 and couldn't find the title and no one here in Tx that Ive talked with as far as the DMV goes could give me a clear cut answer on how I can do a title transfer with a lost title with the owner being deceased.

So I know it is nearly impossible to get a title for just about anything. Its just like my motorized bicycle I built last year, if they want me to title it as a motorcycle or a moped I cant because there is no vin, there is no year, and for it to be a moped the state says it has to have a deck which this doesn't have. So if they want to be anal with me they could make it very hard on me.

Its the only thing I don't like about the state is how much fat that should be cut to make things more sane for your average person.

25. Larry T

Larry T

There is a form you can fill out for an inherited vehicle. It's still kind of a pain, but might be the easiest way for you to go on your grandfather's car.

Form VTR-262