Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2018 Banger Meet - Equinox Time***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. As a wise once man said: "Different Strokes for Different Folks"! Mine is a mania to show owner/drivers of exotic "PreWar" European race cars the noisy end of my exhaust system. To that end I've spent hours of time and unknown bundles of money. Plus a lot of disappointment and heartache. A mechanic friend of mine came over to my pit area last year to whisper in my ear that his customer/patron (who races a multi-million dollar 1930's "Italian Stallion") was chagrined that he couldn't keep up with my car.

John: The flathead that put out 147 h.p. was put together by Jay Steel to the direction of an old guy (who's name escapes me). The guy was a good friend of Jim Brierley. You'd probably know him. Miller_Scofield_1932_Monterey_Motorsports_Reunion_2016_George_McClure_Z6Q2668.jpg

2. The car seems to like 50. I'm deffinety looking for a little faster and with my questions I'm getting to my answer. I already have a hot rod that pulls at 100 harder than any road car should. So I don't need another. (Or do i... ) anyway, my questions are geared for my best direction.( in my opinion of course) fb is right... this stuff makes you think. I'm one of those guys that lose sleep at night thinking of cars and next project. I enjoy it. It's a great and rewarding sickness to see something from start to finish. My only problem on this build is the motor and its limits. But I think I get the idea now.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , you did good . today they are generic , so no one cares . as you know , to keep it fun you have to respect its age .
    and our age also . ........... cya

Herb Kephart likes this.
  4. Michael_e

Michael_e

Back around page 8-9 there was lots of talk about 5 main cranks and new 5 main blocks, Then there is mention of 5 main girdles. Then apparently they can be had in different thickness. Do these 'girdles' require different length rods? Or does the girdle use the block half of the original 3 mains and the other 2 bearings are on the girdle? Is Babbitt used or insert bearings? Does anyone have any pictures of a bare girdle sitting out on a table and maybe a pic of one installed? I'm having a little trouble understanding how this works and how does it go together.

5. Michael,

The girdle is about 3-4 inches thick depending on who makes it.
    It basically replaced the main caps for 1,3 and rear with two additional caps facing up for 2 and 4.
    It is a way around the rules in vintage racing where a original production block is required.
    I think even on the first page there might be a link to a discussion about them.
    Oh, and inserts only, IMHO.
    The pic below shows a girdle mounted on a block, front view

J
    IMG_0404.JPG

Outback, Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  6. Jiminy

Jiminy

7. blgitn

blgitn

Dang! do you have any more pics of the girdle from the sides or bottom?

PhredH likes this.
  8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

blgitn, if you check out Team Vesco's site they have some pics of a Ford 4 banger with 5 main girdle.

9. blgitn

blgitn

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

winters gears 6 spline

11. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks for all the Girdle information.

12. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Steve,
    I'll check with winters, thanks !

Happy Easter to all....except me !
    Bastards at UPS have struck again. Delivered me a destroyed OHV Head for birthday present...bummer ! This company and these gorillas don't give a shit. Kinda brings out the dark thoughts in a guy. Not the first time , but this time....they...packaged the smashed goods !!

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

has anyone heard more about jimski (Bluto) ? prayers to jim & Z

Outback likes this.
  14. Jiminy

Jiminy

15. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

16. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am doing some work on the site but it will be back up soon. PM me if interested in the covers.
    Dave

17. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Has anyone used a carter YF single barrel carb on their banger? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.