Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ Arlington Drag Strip ^^^^^, at the Arlington Municipal Air Port. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This car is undergoing restoby a Jeff Wooden last I heard 2016. Put in Yellow Fever in search on the Dover site for more info.

Pat

Attached Files:

31hotrodguy, quick85, enloe and 2 others like this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

For the longest time I heard of a yellow 59 Chevy with a Jenkins motor in the area and my friends from different pasts would talk about them. What are the chances there would be 2 of them, here finally on the same page. Mystery solved. Georges car is no longer.

Pat[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  4. cjshh

cjshh

I don't know for sure that it has been "recycled" ... the person that it was "last" sold to had it in and behind his garage for years... I have my "detective" attempting to find out. Those things take time but there is a good chance it is NO more... If I find out for sure I will update. Part of its undoing, undoubtedly. is the sandblasting and scraping that removed everything that would insure it would not rust to death.

George

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. 6sally6

6sally6

I remember watching the Good Old Charlie Brown 57 wagon race!!! Kind of a "plain-Jane" looking wagon but Boy would it run! Been a while back fer sure.
    I'm so old I remember watching Gene Cromer race his 427 side-oiler powered 41 Willys the first time around! (He now runs the same car in the Southern Gassers Group.) In fact the old Starlite Dragstrip Restaurant use to have a picture of his Willy on the back bumper (when they still had flagman starters) Wheelie bars where caster wheels welded to the bottom of the rear bumper and the Willies was on them!

hendelec, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Tinsley & Culley Mammy Whammy vs Overtaker

tinsley & culley  mammys whammy check vs overtaker.JPG

Tinsley & Culley

tinsley & culley  mammys whammy check.JPG

Tokyo Rose

tokyo rose a.JPG

again

tokyo rose and trophy.JPG

again

tokyo rose b.JPG

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Lamar Vaubel's 56 is Beautiful! And it's a race car.

Pat

8. cjshh

cjshh

1968TulsaWorldFinals-1968-TokyoRosebrt.jpg From 1968 World Finals........

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

For those who are too young to remember and for those of us who do remember, here is an ad photo showing a new Atlas Bucron tire. They did not last long as a passenger tire but they did hook at the dragstrip.

[​IMG]

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

^^^^^^^^^^ Remember them well, my friends 62 409/409 ran S/S with them and slicks ran SS/S.

Pat

11. cjshh

cjshh

A couple more from York US 30 .... 1967

1967YorkPA-020crop.jpg

1967YorkPA-024.jpg

1967YorkPA-TerribleTangerine-021crop.jpg

1947knuck, 1934coupe, brut4s and 11 others like this.
  12. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Sounds like the " street tires " an autocrosser friend of mine ran. They made pencil erasers look like they would durometer about 100 by comparison and were only good for only four or five thousand miles if he actually ran them on the street.

I like your tag line. From Lewis Grizzard I believe.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and enloe like this.
  13. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems to be a lot of '55-'57 Chevy guy's here. A guy I know has a rough but some what complete '56 sedan delivery he is going to sell. At least I think it is. In talking to another buddy today, he is convinced it started life as a handy man's wagon. I might have a chance to look at this thing Friday. What are some things to look for? Thanks, Gene.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Hello........................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Seriously, what I would first do is look at the VIN tag on the drivers side A-pillar. IF it's a true Sedan Delivery, the tag will have "D" in the VIN, an "A" would be a Model 150 Handyman Wagon, a "B " would be a Model 210 Handyman Wagon, and a "C" would make it a Nomad (since that's the only Bel Air 2 Wagon made). NO VIN? A Sedan Delivery will have a single, lift up, rear hatch; a Handyman Wagon will have a 2 piece rear-clam shell door, that half lifts up, and half drops down. A Sedan Delivery will have a "smugglers box" behind the seat (s); Sedan Deliveries were baselined with a single, drivers side adjustable,"bucket" seat, the passenger side, "bucket" seat was an option and was't adjustable, it only tilted forward. A bench seat was an option in a Sedan Delivery. A Handyman Wagon would only come with a bench seat. Sedan Deliveries had no rear seat (only the smugglers box), a Wagon had a rear seat. There were Windowed Sedan Deliveries, that were basically the same as the more usual Sedan Delivery that had metal panels on the sides. True Sedan Deliveries only had Model 150 side trim, but without a paint divider, and had the Model 150 interiors and interior paint. There are many minor differences to tell when a Wagon is made into a Delivery or vise versa, but my head's starting to hurt. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr.56...thanks for the info. Did not know S.D.'s had a one piece rear door ( hatch). Seems that would be a dead give-a-way. Will report back. Gene.

17. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

If by chance its way to far gone let me know. (If it's an SD complete and rusty JUNK). Get some pics!

18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. loudbang

loudbang

"Factory Stock class" around the time of NHRA pure stock class

1.JPG

factory stock.JPG

factory stock1.JPG

factory stock2.JPG

Jim Lamatrice

jim lamatrice.JPG

20. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Can someone explain the X on the windows of the Bill Trudy photos? Example...D/X, E/X, Y/X

21. loudbang

loudbang

I'm not sure which sanctioning body it was but they were in a section called "factory Stock" and it had the same rules like NHRA pure stock. Only photos I have seen with those markings.

1947knuck, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  22. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

[​IMG]

Wonder what happened with this one. It was on another site for sale a few years ago.
    It was in pretty bad shape but still untouched body wise.

23. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

At PID they had a class called "Experimental Stock", and those are cars running it. I'm not exactly sure what all the rules were but they were basically street machines for the most part with minor mods.

24. rudestude

rudestude

Some info from a old book I have..Stock Cars for the Drags by Hot Rod Magazine tech. library[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. rudestude

rudestude

26. loudbang

loudbang

Joe Allread

joe allread.JPG

Ken Shawer

ken shawer.JPG

Kenny Koonce

kenny koonce check.JPG

Little Terror

little terror.JPG

Marv Ripes vs Magic Bus

marv ripes vs Magic bus.JPG

Marv Ripes

marv ripes.JPG

27. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

A set of Atlas Bucrons would last a weekend on my 327/340 57 Corvette but the good news is they only cost $10 each. Casler recaps were a good upgrade when they came out

28. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

What engine combo would have been in this D/SA? 29570863_1533448533420983_7736731717182064468_n.jpg

29. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Lyn, could that have been a Valiant version of the 275 horsepower, stick-only, "D/Dart" combination that included a Holley, solid lifters, .500+" lift, Offenhauser 360° intake? If so, that's not in the Class Guide for Valiant but then, lots of unusual things were happening in that era between NHRA, AHRA, and IHRA.

loudbang likes this.
  30. cjshh

cjshh

A couple more from Tulsa 68'

1968Tulsa-096.jpg

1968Tulsa-098.jpg

1968Tulsa-100.jpg

1968Tulsa-101.jpg

1968Tulsa-104.jpg