Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 ranch wagon 2dr

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Benjamin Honeycutt, Mar 30, 2018.

1. hey there new to the HAMB. Name is ben.

Last year I bought a 1958 ranch wagon and I am doing a complete restoration. I sandblasted the frame and painted it with the Eastwood paint. Looks amazing. Then I have finished the rebuild of the front and rear suspension. I’m ready to jump into the drivetrain. So the reason I am posting... I have searched and have came up empty handed. I want to put a 90’s 5.0 fuel injected engine with an AOD transmission. Looking to see if any one has any input or has done this mod. Let me know what you think

Thanks all

Ben

dana barlow likes this.
  2. dana barlow likes this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

I agree with above poster(maybe its a "southern thang")! Carbs look more "natural" on older iron.
    I might also suggest a 351W for the full size wagon. Sure the 302 would pull it but......the 351 would do it EZ'er and faster. Size of both are about the same and the motor mounts are the same.
    6sally6

4. I think you may have to join first.

5. evintho

evintho

Started a conversation with you..............

6. Got a real soft spot for these... my first 'I built it' car was a '58 Ranch Wagon that I got with a calico paint job and no engine/trans. A high-school auto shop project, did all the bodywork, refurbished the interior with bucket seats, and rebuilt a '59 352 PI with budget hop-up goodies (used 427 hi-riser solid cam, boneyard 428 aluminum PI intake, and mileage-killing dual-point distributor) for power. Had a $200 paint job blown on (bright red). Had a ton of fun with that car, it was a ticket magnet (although I never got a speeding ticket, but I got every other kind you could imagine... LOL), broke axles/rear ends on a regular basis, and all my girlfriends parents uniformly hated it... :rolleyes:

I'd also recommend a larger motor than a 302. These aren't particularly light cars, and the extra torque of the 351W will be a welcome addition. But a FE would be 'traditional'.... ;)

low budget likes this.
  7. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

Let's see some pictures....

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I hate to say it but FE is the hot ticket for power . Next would be 351M or 400, change cam and add 4 barrel great crusin engine . Do as you want just remember there is no mod that equals cubic inches in power

9. aren't all ranch wagons 2 doors?

10. No, some were 4-doors.

11. Thanks Bob. :)

12. My bad,you do have to join to view this social group. HRP

HERE

13. I believe they started making 4 door Ranch wagons in the mid 60's. HRP

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky