Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical With Big & Little Tires On Car, What Size For Spare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So, you could go with something close to the front tire size, and that would be great if you have a flat in the front, but if you need to put it on the back it could be troublesome for the diff. So you could instead go with a size to match the rears, but if you needed to use it on the front it may have clearance issues with the front fender, and it would cause some strange handling issues. Which is worse, little tire on the rear, or big tire on the front?

Dino 64 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Since , mostly be a temporary situation I would think the best option would be a smaller tire for a spare. Additional positive would be taking up less room for storage in your vehicle.

oldsjoe, upspirate and Blues4U like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The only thing certain is whichever you choose to match, front or rear, it's the other that will go flat.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I would rather have the same size spare as the rear tires, to make life easier for the differential.

5. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a rear tire spare. It will reduce my turning radius till I get to a place to fix the flat

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Neither, AAA membership.

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha, I just used that last Sunday. HEnce the reason for my question, I'm now considering adding a spare to the trunk.

jnaki likes this.
  8. Narrow up front, wider in back for the "big" factor and average the height to within a few inches circumference of each other. Then a front spare and maybe a can of slime type tire sealant.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Open diff or limited slip? With open diff, you can run a smaller spare on the back. LSD, not a good idea to mismatch the sizes from side to side.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Spare? What’s a spare ? :D
    With my RPU the only way I could have a spare would be if it would fit in my pocket :D

Auto club membership it will be :)

robracer1 likes this.
  11. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Hot rods don’t have spare tires!

fnjunk and Alaska Jim like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

medium size spare. I haven't had to use one on a car with big n littles, for some reason.

13. I'm in the AAA camp too.

jnaki and Bam.inc like this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

A can of FixaFlat and cell phone works for me.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I carry a plug repair and a 12 volt compressor along with AAA.

16. Terrible80

Terrible80

Just don't cut any tight u turns with the mismatched tires on the rear.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I matched the front tire size with a dual bolt pattern for wheel interchange. I have Chevy front BC, Ford Rear. Never had to change one yet. Knock on wood!

18. 2935ford

2935ford

The only spare tire I carry is around my waist! :)

19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Bingo^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Petejoe likes this.
  20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

On my 36willys I had a cragar super trick 4-1/2" wide rim with a tall 6-7"
    Wide tire it was a multi patern and fit under the original spare tire cover.Never had to use it though and I carried a jack also That was 40 years ago now I carry AAA 100 mile towing plan

Pat

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm with Jim. I have a tire that falls in between the two. For me I see it this way. I have an open diff and it'll only think I'm turning left or right all the time. Drive according to the situation.

oldsjoe and Blues4U like this.
  22. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I'd go for one about halfway between, doesn't really matter as long as you have a spare you will never need it. Then five years from now when you get a flat the spare will also be flat or you will have loaned it to a friend the week before.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Big & littles on my F100. (radials, cuz it's my daily) Carried an in-between size for a spare, (how far are you gonna drive on a spare???) Sound logic...But one day the spare was flat (been in my pickup bed for years, never checked it. The mfr. date was 9 years old...
    But better judgement overcame me, and the AAA deal was too good to pass up.
    My previous ins. co. had towing, but a Cali-loophole allowed them to raise everybody's insurance rate.
    So, I took the spare out, inflated it to 30 PSI, and put it inside the side gate.
    Couple days later, I was working in the garage, heard a loud explosion. (BOOM! It echoed, neighbors came out, didn't know what caused it...no smoke, nothing.
    I opened the side gate sometime later, and the spare was opened up at the tread, right down the middle, 14". Tread had blown off completely, violently!
    If it would have blown when inflating it, I'd be deaf.
    Wait...I think my wife's calling me...maybe not...What?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    oldsjoe and Blues4U like this.
  24. nha

nha

No beuno with a traction device.

In a straight line the tires are spinning at different speeds. With a limited slip your clutches would always be slipping. Not so good for them. With a locker it will likely be doing some funky huck and jive engaging and disengaging.

Now you could drive in a slow circle the whole time...

25. I've traveled thousands of miles without a spare and never had a problem until last years,fortunately I was traveling with a friend that had a tire plug kit with him and we were back on the road within a hour.

I carry a kit now with small compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. HRP

Dave Mc and Blues4U like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

even with a spare, the biggest challenge is having a jack that will fit under the car. then be able to raise the car high enough to remove flat & install spare - have correct lug nuts & jack stand. if you have to do this stuff close to road you were on think about you being visible enough so that someone does not hit you. AAA or a service truck may be well worth the money in the long run

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks for all the responses. Good stuff!

The reason for my question, which I mentioned above, was we picked up a nail in the right rear tire on the 47 coupe on our way to church last Sunday. As I got out of the car and walked around the back to the passenger side I saw the tire was half way flat. No spare, no jack, no tools, but I do have AAA and a cel phone. They sent a flat bed and we loaded it up and he hauled me to a tire store. They plugged it for me, and then the other day I took it to another store closer to me and had them patch it from the inside, as I don't really trust plugs too much.

Now I'm thinking of adding a spare, but I'm liking the idea of carrying a plug kit and a compressor, that would sure be easier to pack inside the trunk.

28. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

20+ years/30,000 miles carrying a spacesaver spare in my coupe. Never needed it yet!
    I'd put it on long enough to get home, or get to a tire shop if needed.
    After reading Atwater Mike's story, I'm kind of afraid to check the air in it though!!