Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have to ask about the duel dimmer switches or is one the starter?

loudbang likes this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

It had a pad on the clutch pedal to activate, I'm guessing starter. Wasn't running when I got it so I never used that. Clutch pedal was one of the first things out ! Now it's back in !

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  3. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Hope you got the pre-registration email!! If not, contact Quain. Get on the list even if your not 100% sure your going to be there!!

loudbang likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

About that other "dimmer switch" Studebaker offered a device called a "hillholder" that I'm unsure was standard or an option, and I can't remember if one was on the one now a rusty hull in Johnny's stable when I installed an SBC in it.
    But the "hillholder"operated much like today's line locks as it kept the brakes applied as long as the clutch pedal was depressed. Release the clutch pedal and the brakes were released as you pulled off up the hill from your stop at a stop sign or light.
    If that extra "dimmer switch" was a momentary contact, normally open switch, it could function as the actuator for a normally open, solenoid closed valve in the brake line hydraulics elswhere.

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D The top switch is the starter and the bottom is the dimmer.The little tab pointing down on the clutch pedal is usually pointing to the 9:00 o`clock position to activate the starter switch.Hi DOM.The hill holder was an option.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

enloe and loudbang like this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx Leo. What actuated the hill holder if so equipped?

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D You`re welcome Sir.Hill holder.Have no idea.Sorry.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

enloe likes this.
  8. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

The hill holder was gravity activated, if you stopped on a hill and were heading up the hill it would allow a ball valve to block the return line for the rear brakes which would keep it from rolling back. it didn't apply if you were headed down hill as it was designed to allow the driver to engage the clutch when starting out up hill.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

It was a momentary switch. I now think it activated the over-drive if the handle was pulled and another press of the clutch after you were in top gear. Dunno !

loudbang likes this.
  10. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got it. On the list, still hustling !! So far, I have changed or modified everything on the old car except the gas pedal. Well, today it got removed and repositioned !

Higgy's Henry and saltflats like this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

No rest for the weary!:D

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Hard work never hurt anybody. Keep thrashing, see you Saturday.
    I completed my motor yesterday ,starting on the headers.

Higgy's Henry and Fiddle Picker like this.
  13. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Steady gittin' it. Re-plumbing today, start it tomorrow. Have fun with the headers ! See you Saturday !

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

I hope you make it and get that Stude done. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you on Saturday.

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  15. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Working hard as I can. Thanks Mike.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Well, I won't make Shady Side with the car. Took it for the first test last night,, puttzin down the road making sure it would go in all 4 gears and third gear broke. Took side cover off and saw missing teeth. No clue what went wrong, going slow and shifting slow but firm and clutch was releasing plenty. No shifter mal-function. Pull it out next week, go from there.

loudbang likes this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Damn, I hate to hear that.

18. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Guess that's better than towing for hours and have it happen first thing off the trailer. Good luck getting her fixed up. Next race will be here in no time!

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

So sorry to hear that was looking forward to seeing you make some passes. Back in the day we would have Muncie building contests to see who could tear one down and put it back together the fastest.
    I got decent at it, but could not hold candle to a friend who could tear one down to the bare case and reassemble it in less than an hour.
    You may be a victim of the infamous Muncie case spread. Where the case flexes and the gear and the cluster spread apart enough to cause the teeth not to be fully engaged and it knocks the teeth off the gear that you are in. Happened many time's to me and that's why I quit using a Muncie. Time to step up to a real transmission. You are more than welcome to borrow my Liberty prepped top loader if it will fit in the car. You would have to use a Ford disc in the car. Of course your drive shaft would be wrong too.
    You are still coming to watch aren't you ?

Floater03 and enloe like this.
  20. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Still planning on coming. Don't think it was case spread, was only turning 2500 rpm and not speed shifting. Something very strange happened, more like something failed miserably !

loudbang likes this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Sorry we missed each other at the race. After watching the other Morris run , it makes me want to work harder to get mine done.

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

Impressive. Take me all day just to make sure I have all the needle bearings.

Fiddle Picker and dirty old man like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's back in the day when you could go to just about any junkyard and find a few Muncies. Either in the trunk of a car or laying on the ground and we would buy them and go through them with left over parts from other ones.
    Got pretty good at locating them for a hundred bucks or less. Those days are long gone.

24. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

My phone doesn't play well up there. I stood right behind burn-out box for all of round 2 qualifying. Dang ! Watching sure does light fires ! Even though I was severely pissed, we still enjoyed the show ! Broke trans comes out today or tomorrow, finally felt like getting it back on jack stands yesterday. After months of hard work, failures like that can knock the wind out of your sails ! Ready to see your Morris hit the track !

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

It comes with the territory with a race car, build, break ,repair. Repeat as needed or give up and go fishing.
    At least you are to the point you can break stuff. I haven't even got that far yet.

26. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Right around the corner Mike !

loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Johnny, you speak of being pissed, at least you've kept it under control.:cool:
    I'm sure you remember the days when I had the old shop at Riegel's curve behind Dalton Parrish's old Standard Oil station.We had worked all Winter building a new car, don't remember if it was the first or 2nd ChevyII, and had already missed the first race of the year at Senoia.
    Last thing to do was assemble, install and fire up the engine, which I had torn down to freshen up with new rings, bearings, and a valve touch up. Plan was to work all night, fire it up Sat. morning and then go home and get a few hours sleep before time to go to track that evening.
    Fired it off about 9am and it blew a head gasket right off the bat, and inspection showed a cracked "ear" under one of the lower, short head bolts.
    I had been up and working all night long and Man!! I was pissed:mad: Turned around and kicked a metal folding chair and although I didn't then know it, I broke my big toe on my right foot!:eek::oops: I just knew it was sore!o_O
    To this day, almost 50 years later, that toe nail turns black and peels off about twice a year:confused:

28. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hard to keep your cool sometimes ain't it Dave ? I could have gotten really mad, but all I would have done is pissed everybody else off ! Gotta keep everybody happy !

Floater03, loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Did you get your transmission out yet ?

30. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got the replacement transmission in and road test went great ! Got to add a little more base pressure to the clutch (started out very conservative). Looks like worn shifter forks in the transmission may have been the culprit when the first one failed.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.