Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects TOTAL Number of HAMB Build Projects

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, May 17, 2017.

1. Excuses, excuses. ;)
    All these disappointed fans, eager to see how that projects going to look when finished, and you all come up with excuses, like surgery, divorce , and other life altering issues. :eek::D;)

The best part about slow builds, is we get to poke some fun at the builder, all in the name of good clean fun. :p:D

So Bob, you seem to be getting quite a bit done, now that the basements got a floor.:D

Don't stop now buddy. ;)

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can double the floor space if I put the '32 chassis under the body. Bob

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

It took me 7 years to go from parts to driving the first time. Learned things along the way, found things I wanted to fix/change.

Pulled it apart 100% last fall after the Hot Rod Fall Out and the chassis is 100% complete with a new big inch flat head and drive train, working on the body now to fix issues that were "good enough" to drive the first time and now it will get paint too.

Summer is here and the house, yard, grand kids and family will consume time so it will go slow but I would like to drive it again this year.

Cliff Ramsdell
    IMG_5637.JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

don't know if it labels me a hoarder but I went to look at a slant windshield cowl, hood, grill, lights on a very rusty A chassis with no rear suspension... offered $600 .... want's $800 .... was a '30 roadster cowl... I may bump my offer ?
    DSCN0641.JPG
    .looks worse than the pix...
    DSCN0642.JPG

Vic Walter, Stogy and mgtstumpy like this.
  5. don daddyo

don daddyo

Did you say ¨built project¨ ...I bought that 51 Ford Vic... 5 years ago , still in my garage with the body off the frame,not fix ...had time to work on frame , that took 4 years ,now I'm stuck cause my son took the half place in with his motorcycle since 3 years now, maybe just maybe I'll get my place back this fall , he just bought a house with a garage to built this summer. Then I'll get to work on the Ford and then my 29 Ford Roadster,and my son 37 Ford pick-up. I so miss my garage right now...So I'm good for another 20 years if God permit ...

Stogy, williebill and The37Kid like this.
  6. bump for more.

7. badvolvo

badvolvo

Three years, no matter how much I try to work on them at least weekly, it's always about 3 years. My single buddy complete similar projects in a year. I hope to finish this 6 months ahead of schedule. IMG_2303.jpg

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Update....... done (but started on a '32 drag car since).:)

-Brent- and Stogy like this.
  9. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Retired from racing in 02,bought my 46 dodge pickup and was quite busy on it for a couple years,frame done,off topic motor,cab back on etc.then in 09 a car owner called me about going racing again so dropped all the home projects and went racing again(oval track).won back to back championships in 11 and 12 then retired again.got back to work on the truck in 14,raced off and on in 15 then back to work on the truck.This year should be done,running,wired,new glass,interior,box,wheels.Should point out that I had a heart attack in 04 and had 5 stents put in and then again in 07 had 3 more put in so that slowed me down a little.Plus in the same time frame,I was also working on my 71 SS 454 Chevelle which sits n the other stall in the garage.been fun

10. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Wow! Where to start? I'm down to just 5 projects from 7. Cancer a few years back was an eye opener that I wasn't going to live long enough to finish all of them even if I lived to 100. Sold the only car I swore I would never part with, 1965 Corvette two top roadster (project), to pay on doctor bills and a 68 Camaro to my son to try to narrow the field to what I reasonably felt I could complete. This left me with a 69 Blown Camaro, 31 A coupe, 39 Olds coupe gasser, 64 Dodge Polara 500 and a 56 Chevy Belair. The only one that my very understanding wife of 45 years is pushing me to finish is the 56 Chevy. She even comes to the shop to help work on it. I have two years to finish it as we've planned a Route 66 trip in it when we both turn 66. Still a lot to do, but we should be able to make it happen unless there are anymore unforeseen exciting issues popping up. Cancer free 3 1/2 years now. Thank the Good Lord!!!

11. Vanness

Vanness

Theses are good. Like rusty said, where do you start. Here’s my latest. Bought it last year. After having a third child around same time, wife said no more. I think she means it. All my cars have been neglected, but I didn’t have to sell any to build my house, finish my basment, and fill my barn. All my money is going to building my garage this year, even if it means selling a few. The list currently ....
    69 roadrunner
    67 camaro
    72 nova
    64 gto vert
    55 chevy
    29 rpu
    29 sport coupe
    69 c50 chevy
    And this 31 pickup that was next ....
    34026C55-144F-4529-84BD-D37E74D2232A.jpeg

Stogy, mgtstumpy and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  12. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Does she mean no more kids or cars?

Stogy and ebs121781 like this.
  13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

54C7FC40-67F5-46F1-9A86-F635C6BEF58B.png D13883B3-9817-4280-8C29-A0DDD5D40309.png 4409277D-F415-44B7-94BA-CA8A012DD3AD.png

Sounds like my life, save for the kids...
    Some of my projects are working on 22 years...
    They’re all a bunch of work, but when are they ever really done?????
    My current one is the Waske Effect Lakes Roadster.
    It’s still awaiting a coverered seat, bigger gas tank and so much more.
    Did get another project in the meantime, but it won’t start till I put all of the parts in the same general area.
    Sometimes I keep hearing in my head that old drug campaign “Just Say No!!!”

Stogy and mgtstumpy like this.
  14. Joe Rosales

Joe Rosales

Bob , some people would rather have a simple speedway catalog car than to take the time to try something different but still keeping the car correct.

The37Kid likes this.
  15. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I started this project in april of 2014. Between helping my mom take care of my grandma on hospice. Getting mom's 58 rebuilt, floor pans full suspension rebuild, engine/trans build it is running and driving. I worked on it for 5 years and it was 5 hours away. money for parts and only being able to work on it for a weekend or so at a time. Then my father in law almost dying on us(severe allergic reaction with extended stay in the ICU.) I have finally acquired the parts to finish my car. I just need to find the time to do it between work and family. 482.jpg mont ward.jpg 58.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    Stogy, mgtstumpy and The37Kid like this.
  16. Update:
    I sold the one panel, bought another panel and going to sell another panel.........so that still leaves me with 1 panel and other cars still to do (in the same spot as all the posts above) o_O.

Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  17. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I bought this 32 5/w about 6 years ago but didn't start working on it until about 3 years ago.I had one ahead of it that needed finishing and then the project was sidelined by leaving my job,moving halfway across the country and having Cancer.So far i have missed 2 self imposed deadlines but am shooting for may 30th of this year.Not to have it finished,but at least running and driveable.We'll see.

Attached Files:

18. Vanness

Vanness

Both!!!

Stogy likes this.
  19. crossthread

crossthread

Years ago a guy was at my garage looking at my Tudor and stuff in my garage and said ,He couldn't stand , people who didn't finish a project as fast as possible . I said my cars were my hobby ,my family comes first, I had to earn an income and enjoy the real love of my life and our two girls. This is not a rant or anything like that . I think that I enjoy the journey, than the more destination . jimB

Chavezk21, Stogy, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  20. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Used to take a year to build shiny stuff when I was working a full time job but since I'm retired and paired up with a motivated partner, we're kicking three to four projects a year. The building is the fun part.

Stogy and Vanness like this.
  21. 0nedon

0nedon

I'm scared to count mine. I just love look'in at 'em I have always liked original, rust and all tells a story - survivors.

Stogy, Gotgas and The37Kid like this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

hotrods from 1982;
    '30 roadster pick up, '28 tudor, '31 Vicky, '29 tudor tub, '30 coupe, '34 5w, '34, 3w', '33 3w, '33 5w, '30 cpe...now too old... just welding together the bodies and odd dashes.

Stogy likes this.
  23. X-cpe

X-cpe

1980- '30 coupe body (no firewall, subrails, deck lid or inner fender panels). 1992- driving it. 1996-took it apart to make a few small changes and finish it. The "while you're at its" bit me in the ass, then a former student asked if I wanted to go racing and mama wanted a new room and porch on the back of the house. '57 Chevy PU half done, haven't worked on it since late 90's. MGB was going to be my 41 year old daughter's first car. Even if I don't have time or money to work on them I can plan the next step and see them in their final splendor. Good therapy when your world gets unhappy.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Approaching 12 years, nearing completion.

WP_20180320_16_40_26_Pro.jpg

hidez57, Stogy, heavydumper and 2 others like this.
  25. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I'll be 31 on Tuesday, and have a 47 Chevy coupe that is 12 years in the making and I decided to scrap the subframed frame on it a few years ago and now I haven't touched it in 6 years. Have a 28 Model A Tudor I started on 6 years ago still acquiring parts for it. Got a 34 Ford pickup 3 years ago and haven't started it yet. Customer projects that pay the bills take priority, so my and dad's junk just sits.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

I just finished my build that i dreamed up in 1959, started in 1990. have lot of pix of the build i will post when i learn how. a total scratch built car from a drawing i made in 1959, all aluminum body. it came out amazing, i can't believe it's finished....

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am trying to finish my Morris Minor Gasser project I got last summer. finished 4 customer's projects
    was told I needed open heart surgery, but prayer healed me and I don't need it now. Shocked the doctor's. then moved from Fl to tn. Went from a 30x50 shop to a one car garage.
    Trying to finish in time to make some Southeast Gasser races this season. 20180307_155850.jpg

Baron, 48fordnut and The37Kid like this.
  28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Have 1 o/t car, haven't worked on in 3 yrs, 31 roadster about the same ,started it in 10. Working on A v/8 frame and eng now. I try to put at least 1 hr a day. Have yd work and caring for wife ,dementia that takes all my time.
    Plus I'm old.

29. Well I thought I would bring this one up to date. Seems like I got prostrate cancer and had to have 44 treatments to take care of this problem. So the 54 is back on hold while I get through all this crap.
    Good news is it is all done now and I have a clean slate as far as the cancer. So it is back to work on the 54. Wish me luck.....Dam I forgot it is almost summer and time to get the hot rods out and go for a road trip somewhere. So I guess the 54 will have to wait a little longer....
    See ya all on the road somewhere I hope.

48fordnut likes this.
  30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Good luck with the big C. Road trip.