Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. loudbang

loudbang

3. loudbang

loudbang

Fast Eddie & Dyno Don

fast eddie and dyno don.JPG

Dyno don

SS dyno and comet.JPG

4. loudbang

loudbang

comet.JPG

Dyno Don Rosin burnout

and comet rosin.JPG

5. loudbang

loudbang

Stu Evans Chargin Cyclone

suu evans chargin cyclone comet.JPG

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. loudbang

loudbang

Dyno at Carlsbad Raceway

11-carlsbad-raceway-dyno-1965-comet-427-sohc.jpg

Dyno with Sox & Martin sponsor

12-dyno-1964-mercury-comet-ronnie-sox-and-martins-mopar-affiliation.jpg

8. loudbang

loudbang

9. FuelComet

FuelComet

10. Autorama Detroit...says it will run at Detroit Dragway Reunion this Summer!

Attached Files:

Bcometfx, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Nice find. Wish it had sound LOL

1947knuck and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. FuelComet

FuelComet

8MM Home movie from Lana Chrisman.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Not all race cars ..... but man do I dig a mean ass Comet!

Attached Files:

14. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

The Moyer comet is getting closer guys! 9CFEEDFD-0F3B-433D-B96B-7BF4F3347954.jpeg C9512875-5587-4F99-89B9-97FDD425B966.jpeg D5A3BE49-DD08-4BF1-8CFB-06C562137F51.jpeg

15. Ok so ones a little off in years...but it’s a comet! And it’s at the track!

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  16. Because I love this car....

Attached Files:

Bcometfx and loudbang like this.
  17. Man can’t get Comets off the brain today

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, dscomet and loudbang like this.
  18. asawman

asawman

Building a 64 clone. Like the wheels on the Sachs/Chrisman car. Can anyone tell me what they are? Can't ever really see the back ones that well, but I like the looks of the front ones.

Sent from my SM-G930P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. asawman

asawman

Building a 64 clone. Like the wheels on the Sachs/Chrisman car. Can anyone tell me what they are? Can't ever really see the back ones that well, but I like the looks of the front ones.

20. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

They changed the wheels constantly but the front wheels in that photo are Americans, early five spoke. I would bet that are magnesium, note the large diameter of the lug bolt flange.
    A lot of early A/FX cars had a chrome wheel with tri angle shape cut outs, I am not sure what brand they were but I believe I have a photo of Jack’s car with them on it.
    Jim

21. Ok this car has 14” slicks on the rear and 15’s up front. I’ve got something brewing and was wondering what you all were running. I’m thinking 4.5 inch up front and 6” out back. Looking at the M & H muscle car drag tire..

22. Hi jacked these from other threads on here...

Attached Files:

23. asawman

asawman

24. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

You might have to pick a time in history to use as a point to build the car. I had many discussions with Joel Kanios who worked at and owned the Tom Coward ‘64 A/FX Comet after the Coward dealership started to campaign a ‘65 model. He told me that once the cars started to be modified it literally snow balled. If a team made a modification on a car, by the next race everyone had made that same modification, the cars got so cut up in such a short period of time that it was difficult to keep up with what was happening. At that time the rules were very loose and a lot of the cars were doing exhibition match racing anyhow so the rules did not apply. I remember seeing his ‘64 with half of the lettering of “Kanios Enterprises” missing because he had cut the quarter panels to move the rear end forward. I also remember that some of the modifications were done very crude and would never pass tech today.
    Back then these were just race cars and had no collector value no one even thought that some day they would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and be an important part of drag racing history. As in the Shelby Cobra and ‘32 Ford Roadster there are probably more A/FX cars now then the factory (Dearborn Steel Tubing) actually made.

25. asawman

asawman

You are correct. My mistake. I was referring to when they were first built at DST and what they did there to put 15" wheels with a racing slick. I guess I'm trying to see if they (DST) actually took time to move the lip forward a little or just chopped it at an angle as the Dyno Don car appears in a previous photo.

26. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I understand now. Unfortunately the Coward car was already cut drastically before I first saw it so I cannot tell you how it was. The car has been restored but little of the original steel body survived.
    Please post photos of your project as it progresses, I am sure that I am not the only one that gets warm and fuzzy when I see a Comet especially in race trim.

27. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

28. Anyone see these before?? They are on my Dad's 65 Cyclone, thank you to Ken Godsey. [​IMG]

29. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Those were used on the ‘65 A/FX Comets but many of the Cragers were swapped out for different wheels when they changed tires. (Larger size tires during
    competition) The caps in the photos are reproduction that were made in the 90’s (?) very nicely done, have them chromed and use them! (The wheels in the photo are unilug Crager SS that came out in the ‘70’s, the spokes are also different from the original style wheel that were used on the Comets)
    Only a few style wheels look good on a Comet, the Crager SS is definitely in that group. ( Note the wheels on my avitar)

30. The reason I left the caps that color is because it really looks good with the color as the car (pecan frost)[​IMG]