Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest New Ride, 55 chevy 150

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dragrace66, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Thank you chevy57dude. I ordered a new shroud yesterday at Danchuck. A friend of me will put it in his car container next month.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. I had a water pump shaft break on a stock car one night while I was standing on the gas at 6500 RPMs. The fan almost went through the radiator core. A real mess.

3. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

The car is running again. I got a new aluminium radiator, a flexalit fan and of course a new water pump.

I tried to change the main jets from 65 to 63 the car runs better and smoother now. I also tried 62 jets but the size was to small. The only thing I have to tune is the vacuum secondary.

4. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I did the first engine oil change. Everything looks good, I added Zinc to the oil again.
    I still have some problems with the carb at acceleration, it leans out much und the engine is stumbling for two seconds.
    I ordered a set of pump cams und bigger noozles.
    Otherwise the AFR is good at idle, cruise and WOT.
    The car drives super straight at road races and cornering is good. Maybe I install a rear sway bar next year.
    I am happy with my new suspension (Coil springs, Leaf springs, Ridetech RQ Shocks and PU bushings). The Springs are stock height.
    I must find a soultion for my brake performance, I am on it and waiting for parts, hope this will work.

I drove to a vintage dirt track event with a small car show last weekend, I got many thumbs up for the 150. A friend did a test drive and was smiling after it. Normaly he drives a Model A Coupe Hot Rod (Ford Small Block stroked)

http://www.niederlausitz-aktuell.de...und-spass-auf-der-sandbahn-bei-luebbenau.html

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    chevy57dude likes this.
  5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg Hey Markus, somebody you know and thinks you always wear white pants took a photo of your car at the speedway! I won't tell any names. Hahahhahaa
    Was good to meet you and your girl there! Your 55 rocks,too!

6. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Thanks Baumi, hope we meet more often next year.

7. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I got the nozzles and cams for the carb. So did a basic setup to the carb again, primary butterfly opened up so the transfer slot is square, idle mixture 1.5 turns out. I used a M5x20 screw with nut in the secondary throttle stop to adjust it this way.
    After that I set the idle with the secondary throttle stop and let the primaries untouched. It works geat, better than befor. The acceleration was better, but not perfect. So I changed to a blue acceleration pump cam, test it and found out I need a bit more fuel at off idle. I changed the Nozzle to a 0.35 and after that change the Engine reacts perfect.
    No stumbling at off idle, good acceleration.
    My daughter and me made a test drive and she said that the car go faster and reacts better, smooth acceleration. I am happy now with this tuning.

8. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

[​IMG]

I also changed the power valve to a 9.5.

I wrote with AED to hear which carb they recommend. Very fast and good answer. I am still collecting money for a new AED 650 HO carb. I wrote Holley 3 weeks ago, but the answer was with no good info and short. Proform never answered the same question.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I installed new exhaust tips. We had too much exhaust fumes inside the car. The trunk sealing is new but seals not completly.
    It looks ok for me. Too shiny at my opinion, maybe I will paint it black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Sunday work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed 1"

Next step are the ports thru the heads.

Another thing I did.
    Painted it black and sanded the rips out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  11. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Finished the work on the under side of the intake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baumi likes this.
  12. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Before

[​IMG]

After Spacer porting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that a Performer Rpm intake? I have one in my 56 Chevy and it was a huge improvement over the open plenum torker 1 I had in it before. I got both better top and low end power... Although I didnt take out the 1" area of the divider ... Maybe I should:)

14. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Yes it is a Performer RPM. Baumi you can use an open spacer instead of removing the divider if you have enough under hood space.

15. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

The new carb arrived. It looks nice. I'm waiting for two parts before I can bolt it on the engine. I hope I can bolt it on next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I installed a adjustable proportional valve. I hope the car is stopping better now. It is too wet and cold to do a test drive.

[​IMG]

My daughter helped me bleeding the brake system. Know I have 500 psi to the rear brakes, I hope that's enough.

I played a bit with the new carb, tried the substack and installes the fuel feeding line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finn Jensen likes this.
  17. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I'am still waiting for the carb studs and Gaskets, it should be here at wednesday. But I wanted to see how it looks with spacers and I started my "saladbowl air cleaner project". The bowl has an 11" opening where I put an K&N air cleaner top on it. I checked the space between bowl and hood, I have to rise the bowl a bit more than 3". I ordered a pipe to do this job. At the end I will put a piece of rubber on top of the air cleaner to seal it under the hood. The next step is than to cut a bigger hole in the hood and to readjust the correct position for the scoop. The scoop has to go 3.5" back in direction to the windshield to sit right above the opening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

19. Those K&N filter toppers always remind me of old Tupperware lids...

20. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

21. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I cutted a bigger hole in the hood, know it has 9". I marked a the holes for the scoop and filled the old ones with an epoxy clay. I used the clay on the inside of my new air cleaner too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chevy57dude likes this.
  22. A good sign of progress when you must cut a bigger hole in the hood!
    Soon I will have to do the same thing to mine.

23. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I plan to use a electric fuel pressure gauge inside the car in the near future, that is coming in the 4 gauge panel underneath the dash. I also use a vacuum gauge inside the car.

For the gauges. I build a prototype of an gauge cup. Thats for water temp, oil pressure und the tach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the 4 gauge panel, the AFR/O2 gauge is in, next to it comes the vacuum gauge, the fuel pressure gauge and the voltmeter

[​IMG]

24. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I had a brake problem and solved it with an new master cylinder with 1" bore. The brakes never worked so good before.

I worked on the carburetor, I pulled the pressed in high speed air bleeds and cutted a thread in to use screw in air bleeds.

Now the carb is doing a great job. We did a 800 miles trip last weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also changed to a new quick ratio steering box.

[​IMG]

chevy57dude likes this.
  25. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Smal progress.
    A short foreword.
    In the last two years I was thinking about a 17" Schroeder Racing steering wheel to install it in my 55. The 230$ + shipping + import tax etc. was one of a few points why it was not happened until today. So last November I had the money to give it to myself as a christmas present. I looked at the website of Schroeder Racing and was a little shocked. They closed the business a few month before. No way to get the steering wheel.
    So I looked at Ebay and other sites with no result. I found some 15" and 15.5" steering wheels, but they are too small for my non power steering. A few weeks later I found a 16" from a racing series, it was bare metal. The price was 38$ + 24$ shipping, great price for me. I bought it.

When it arrived it looked good and was solid. The paint was faded away on some spots, but that was no problem. In Germany it is not alowed to have a bare metal steering wheel in a street car. So I searched for a solution to get it wrapped. I found something interesting and cheap to try it out. It is a DIY leather steering wheel cover.
    So I started with the small project. I removed some rust and painted it flat black. After that I wrapped a fabric tape around it, to get a little bigger diameter and my thought was that the leather would not slip around so easy.
    Know I wrapped the leather cover around, 1.5 hours later I had a good looking steering wheel. I cost me around 90$ total.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered a new Grant adaptor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chevy57dude and Finn Jensen like this.
  26. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I also bought a rear sway bar last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sancho likes this.
  27. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Got all parts to install the new oil pressure sender and the oil pressure safety switch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Is the oil pressure safety switch to interrupt the ignition? Did something similar on my '57. "T" fitting for the gauge and original sender so the oil warning light still works.
    Looks like you already have a shock mount bar. Good modification, Chevrolet bolted them through the trunk floor.