Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The red fuel line thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thunder Road, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

As promised, Let's see if I can post a pic:
    Braided.3.JPG

Whattya think?

2. looks like a mustache on the mona lisa.......

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

No offence, not very "traditional".
    KK

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Probably look right at home on a hot rodded Honda Civic :D

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

6. Rich S.

Rich S.

7. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

AN dates back to WWII but that is not it. That looks like parts store bling aisle 'Spectre' brand, using hose clamps rather than proper AN fittings. As for red fuel line, didn't Girling have that stuff?

8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

When I was a young feller red fuel line and red plug wires were considered cool. I remember the local speed shop sold both by the foot. Didnt look anything like that.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please don't tell me you put fake braided covers over the red plastic fuel line.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

And a Fram filter, too. C'mon man...

11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

let's see you forgot to bitch about the glass fuel filter... fire hazard....and yellow plug wires very 70's
    and you probably have a worn lobe in your cam too....that should cover it...carry on

12. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

You know, I’m almost speechless at these reactions…but not quite. I’m not sure what I expected, maybe that some of the crew that cussed at me and called me stupid would actually retract their words and pat me on the back for using rubber fuel line inside the braided sheaths.

I honestly did not expect the negativity and crap that has showed up.

I guess Ricky Nelson had it right, “ya can’t please everyone, so ya got to please yourself.”

And lastly, my former impression of HAMB being a place for good information and likeable folk has been severely damaged. There may be some good info in here, but if one has to put up with wading through crappy people to find it…well, nevermind.

Y’all have fun.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Hey bud, the most traditional fuel lines would have been plain black rubber hose with a regular hose clamp on the end. Since you asked for peoples' thoughts on the subject, don't get so bent when we tell you that you did it wrong. We can't help that you didn't take the advice previously given. See ya!

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

YOU came to the HAMB to ask what the members think of your hose clamped fake AN fuel lines. You got your answer. Don't run off! A flathead deserves better than an OReillys' Mr Gasket section makeover and we'd rather help than discourage. Read the guidelines, stick around, and maybe get some ideas on making that flathead look its best.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    egads and Blue One like this.
  15. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

My opinion is that this thread needs to be closed before it gets uglier than it is.

56don and flatheadpete like this.
  16. Accoutrements aside, no stones here. It's a flathead, more traditional than what's powering my rides.

17. opinions asked for and gotten, this is not T-ball, not everybody gets a trophy.
    i stand behind my opinion, it just doesn't belong on a vintage build. PLUS that covering does not let you know the condition of the hose. i have had those fail. looked perfect but the inner rubber was cracked and leaking. i thought you were going with the green vinyl? be careful of those glass fuel filter also, unless they have improved them . will loosen and leak.

brad2v and Blue One like this.
  18. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Yea, about that fuel filter, let me tell you a story.
    A year or so ago I fired up the A-Bone in the garage as I do quite often, it had not been started for a month or so. I puttered around the garage doing little stuff as it ran, after ten minutes or so I walked around the front and smelled a LOT of gas, I raised that side of the hood to find gas spraying everywhere even on the hot headers. I quickly shut it down and pushed it outside to cool and dry out. The glass on one of those cheap ass filters was broken, what a near miss. It could have burned my new house and garage including cars to the ground. Lessen learned, only high quality fuel line and steel filters for me. I still can't believe the car didn't catch fire that day.

19. Nobody was rude. It just doesn’t fit here. If you like it, good for you. That’s really all that matters. But it doesn’t fit here.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v likes this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Boredom. When folks start getting bored with their ride, this is what happens. We've all been there. You're in the garage, with nothing to do, then you start eyeballin' yer ride. "Gee.... maybe it needs "this" or what if I did "this". Next thing ya know, yer cars a late entrant in an Art car parade.

Luckily, there's a place like the HAMB to set you straight. At least these folks were honest. The guys at the cruise-in would have said it looked great and talked shit after you left. In fact.... you kinda owe these HAMBers a thank you.

blowby and INVISIBLEKID like this.

21. ^^^Laughing aloud right now........

gimpyshotrods likes this.