Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Trying to Identify an old NY racer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NHRANUT, Mar 27, 2018.

1. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

I recently scanned some old slides that were given to Don Moyer, who has been given the posession of the GasserMadness.us website. The slides came from a guy in NC, who got them from some guy who walked into his business and said "you might like these since you are into Gassers". No idea who that guy was or where the slides came from.

All the slides are from the years 1961 through 1964 and were taken at 3 tracks: Dover, South Glens Falls, and I believe the 3rd is Lebanon Valley. One common car in the photos is a 37 Chevy that was running F & G/G, and I'm sure the photos originated with the owner of the car. I have no idea if he was the one that gave the slides to the guy in NC though.

The more I look at the photos, the more I want to know who the owner of the 37 was and the photos give some pretty good clues. He quite obviously was from the Albany NY vicinity since all 3 tracks are in that area. I'm hoping someone who raced in that area in the early 60's will recognize him and have a name. Looks as though he may have been in his mid-20's back then, and would be around 80 if he is still alive now.

I've really got my hopes up that someone here might recognize the car or the owner and be able to identify them.
    The engine in 1961.
    [​IMG]
    Racing at Dover in 1962
    [​IMG]
    South Glens Falls in 1962
    [​IMG]
    South Glens Falls 1962 again and the guy with his wife/girlfriend
    [​IMG]
    At Lebanon Valley in 1963 or maybe 1964. I also need confirmation that this is Lebanon Valley.
    [​IMG]
    And at South Glens Falls I believe, in 1964 for sure, and the car has a name
    [​IMG]

2. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I think that might be Pat Smith, he ran a coupe with a big Chev/GMC and a 4-speed back in the day. At one time in the early years the crew chief for Dyson Racing and a shop teacher like my self. I could be wrong, memory like paint fades with time.

3. Thanks for the quick response!

4. catdad49

catdad49

Ceasar's Chariot, I like it! Hope you find out more info, great post. Thanks

Don Moyer likes this.

5. Neat car! I love ‘37-‘38 Chevys!

Don Moyer likes this.
  6. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I would post over at Doverdragstrip.com

NHRANUT likes this.
  7. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

I've thought about that, and there's also a South Glens Falls Facebook group. But I started here because it's the ultimate source for the good old days.
    I'm hoping to get a lot more views here and possibly a confirmation of a name.

8. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

We have a possible ID as Pat Smith, and I surely won't dispute that, but here's a few more pictures I held back on.
    The first photo is from 1961 at Dover, and it's a 37/38 with the same front wheels as in most of the other photos, and same slicks as in a couple other photos. Other than the wheels it's quite differently modified. But, by the second photo a year later it appears that he has a 37/38 tow car. Maybe the car in the first photo became a tow car after the 37 was ready to race. (????)
    Just speculation but could well be what happened. So, Maybe the guy's name was Bill. (???)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Actually I just opened my eyes and see the first car is not a 37/38, but the wheels do match. :(

10. Irascible

Irascible

Sorry, Not me, nor my car. I had a '38 not a '37. At first with a 235, then 261, then a 230 (fastest @ 13.34) and finally and still a 321 cube GMC 6. I still have the car. It was last run in 1989 at Englishtown, NJ. Pat Smith aka Irascible

Don Moyer, NHRANUT and The37Kid like this.
  11. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Any idea who it might be Pat?

Don Moyer likes this.
  12. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Hey Pat, Sorry for the mistaken identification. I think the last and maybe only time I saw the car it had the GMC. Cool that you still have it, not many of us keep anything that long. Ron

NHRANUT likes this.