Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can a slave cylinder suck in air but not leak fluid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Mar 24, 2018.

1. greaser64

greaser64
    from Australia

You may need to block some ports off and bench bleed it at 90° if it's mounted in the truck with the m/cylinder facing down hill, you may never get it. Easier said than done. But maybe pull it out and bench bleed it. At least when you put it back in you can inspect all all the lines and fittings while you're at it. Hope you sort it out. Please keep us posted when you find the problem.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

What I have had to do in the past is make up a tool that pushes the fliud up from the bleeder in the slave to the master using compresed air. The fluid goes in at the bottom. Air comes out at the top.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Thanks guys I haven't really had a chance to do much more with it I really need to get another vehicle out of my garage so I can work on it easier as right now it is pushed up against a wall but it keeps snowing here so may be a while. I did bench bleed the master so we will see if that helped.

4. The length of the stroke will not have any effect on the air problem. Whether it moves a 1/2 or a full 1", it should be solid. Your swivel on the end concerns me. I would much rather see an equal force on both sides of the piston rod. WHen you take the slave off and disassemble it, you may find wear on the opposite side of the throwout arm. If you do, I wouldn't be surprised if the piston was allowed to be the source of air entering the slave as the pedal creats the vacuum upon release. I want to add some info just in case you don't know it. Most pressure plate arms operate at a 3 to 1 ratio. If you have a 3000 lb pressure plate, it will take 1000lbs on the throwout bearing to depress it. When you calculate pedal ratios and eventually how much force on the pedal is acceptable for your leg, all of this becomes math calculations to get the desired result. Most street standard clutches are around 1800 to 2000 lb pressure plates. Many oem plates are in the 1200 lb. range. I hope you find the problem on your next effort. :)

RICH B likes this.
  5. Hey guys sorry for the lack of follow up with this. I got frustrated with it and left it for a while but decided after looking it over for a long time to rethink the whole set up and went with a push style cylinder so I had to wait for parts, build a new bracket, got busy at work, took holidays with the family but I got it put together today and seems to be working much better this way. I still need to fine tune it I think but I think I am on a better path with this set up. Thanks for all you help! I will be back if I run into any further issues:oops:.
    20180511_163023.jpg

egads likes this.
  6. BJR

BJR

Thanks for getting back with a follow up. Too many threads die without knowing what the solution to the problem was.