Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be looking for you too. I'm planning on being there as a spectator, no more sacrificing trucks/trailers to the salt gods for me. I seem to find a way of getting cancelled rooms and get my rental cars here in So Cal and pray for rain on the way home. For now ill concentrate on getting to El Mirage as long as the BLM doesn't cancel us for good.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. Thank you to Dudly 32 and Stogy hear on the H.A.M.B. for there generous support for the XO/PP Bonneville Project
    I also want to Thank Daniel Muramoto and Joanne Baik from Denso Products for the supply of spark plugs.
    I pulled the engine from the truck today and finished the area I cut out of the cross member to clear the header. I also began filling all the holes in the firewall I'll do a final spray coat of bead liner on the firewall and under the inner fender wells for protection from the salt. Photos to follow ..

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. some of todays work. welding the cross member and a start on some polishing work IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

4. got most of the fire wall holes filled in and finished most of the welding to the floor.. photos to follow tomorrow
    scuff up tomorrow, tape everything off and shoot the bed liner on the firewall I should have the engine back in Friday or Saturday.
    I also ordered all the paint today. cant wait to see this truck painted.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Fire wall sprayed with bed liner for protection from the salt. Done ...Fitting gauges. engine goes back in tomorrow IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0584.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0589.JPG

6. A big Thank You out to RMR+C our H.A.M.B. buddy for his T Shirt purchase and generous donation for the XO/PP Bonneville Project. Thank you Scott, I appreciate your support.
    IS TILL HAVE 5 M, 3 L, 2XL, 8 XXL, 3 XXL shirts left. you may call me and reserve yours at 757-645-7828.
    thank you everyone that has purchased a shirt and donated to the project. I appreciate you all greatly. John

7. Progress Report,
    I installed all the Radiator support, Radiator, welded in a bung in the Radiator for a temp gauge, Radiator hoses, Inline water pump, Installed the twin oil filter system, Radiator overflow catch can.
    All three paint colors arrived today thanks to sidevalve8ba aka My good friend Ted who donated the funds for the paint way back last summer.
    Thank You Ted, I appreciate everything you have done for the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special from its beginning

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I can ask what inline water pump did you get....they are not all equal and advertising is very questionable.... JD

loudbang likes this.
  9. water pump is Meziere Enterprises 55GPM inline Ill post some photos of the final install later today.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  10. FYI for those who have supported the Bonneville Project the engine start up party is now set for Saturday April 21st . If you wish to attend please message me your rsvp so I will know how much food to have on hand. Thank you everyone for your generous support.

11. John, please consider this my RSVP. I'll be there on the 21st. (And probably a few Saturdays before to block.)

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, that's the right one... I didn't want to bad mouth others but Meziere by far the best I've ever found. Not knowing much about the Ford 6 and your water set up and a lot about the GMC I've found that removing water from the back of the head saved countless problems. You can see that line in my avatar is off the rear top of the cylinder head going back to the tank. It's a dash 8. The front return is a -12 and the feed from the pump is a -20. I've also built systems off the block freeze plugs but still used returns from both ends... Once again good luck.

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Another great idea jimmy six, Look like that is a good way to help cool the rear cylinders better.

Photos as promised, Thank you Glen Wright for your help the last two days IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0593.JPG IMG_0594.JPG IMG_0595.JPG

14. Shirt sizes left ... 3 medium 3 XXL and 4 XXXL. as I said these were limited edition shirts and will not be repeated.
    I want to say how much I appreciate everyone who has purchased shirts in support of the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special .
    Thank You everyone,

15. Progress report
    I got the hood and front bumper sand blasted just in time today. the owner came and got the compressor and the blasting pot this afternoon. The poor thing is on its last leg and needs a tune up. I had a hard time getting it started but it finally came around.
    On another Note. I finished the engine vent/ evac canister that Glen Wright was helping me with. Just need to make up one more Braded line for that. I polished it and made the mount as well. I also have the fuel system almost plumbed up just need to make a fuel Distribution Block. Headers and Intake are installed for the final time carbs go on tomorrow and I can begin to make up the linkage. Photos coming tomorrow

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John...got my shirt...looks awesome can't wait to get it on...;)...you and the team are humming along...thank you...

RMR&C and loudbang like this.
  17. 28rpu

28rpu

Great project John. You will want to figure more psi in the rear tires for Bonneville. Like 70 psi. That's what the inspectors recommended to us. Good luck!

18. Glad to hear you finally got it . you are my first international supporter that I shipped to. wasn't sure how long it would take to get there. Thank You ...

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. Photos as promised thank you 57 Heap and D-Russ for the help sanding body parts today IMG_0597.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

saltflats, RMR&C, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

John , Would love to see more of this build, how can i join the Virginia HAMB XO/PP truck forum ???

21. OK, here's step by step instructions to join the Virginia HAMB social group:
    1. Navigate to the HAMB home page
    2. Select the MEMBERS drop down menu (it's the second gray tab from the left near the top of the window)
    3. Select SOCIAL FORUMS from the MEMBERS drop down menu
    4. On the SOCIAL FORUMS page, scroll down and select Geographical
    5. On the Geographical page, scroll down and select Virginia HAMB(ers)
    6. On the top right of the Virginia HAMB(ers) page click the Social Forum Tools drop down
    7. Click JOIN SOCIAL FORUM and you're officially a member!
    8. The thread on the Virginia HAMB social group is titled: "The new VIRGINIA H.A.M.B. CALLOUT FOR HELP"

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Head support fabricated today, off to the upholstery shop tomorrow.
    getting lots of little things done so far this week. more body work, finished the fuel tank all bolted in.. IMG_0602.JPG IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0609.JPG

23. I got most of the wiring done today just need to connect to each component. Got the battery's final fit into place and ran the main battery cable to the starter. I did some more bodywork on the drivers inner fender and have it ready to paint. I plan to spray the under sides of the front fenders and inner fender wells with bed Liner first then trim then in and mount them for the last time next week

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, I rethink bedliner in the fenders until you have finished at Bonneville. The salt will stick to it because it is not smooth. I'd paint them and polish/wax them. Nothing sticks to my inner fenders because I did that. I even spray them with WD before heading to the starting line. Just a thought.

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Late to this party.
    Long time lover of Ford inline sixes.

SUBSCRIBED

Aren't virtually all inline sixes the same firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4?

15 - too young
    36 - too old
    24 - just right

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. I fabricated a rear shock mounting bar today along with mounting the L & R inner fenders up front, I brought the hauler to the shop today so I can begin to plan where to mount the generator, Tool Box, fuel cabinet Small Vice and some cabinet's for storing other stuff Photos tomorrow

saltflats, loudbang, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  27. Photos as promised, wiring up the MSD Ignition, rear Shock bar and the new trailer and a oil pan I painted for the flathead I just sold IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0615.JPG IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0618.JPG IMG_0619.JPG

28. Shot the first coats of color, ( thank you Ted Tallent) IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0622.JPG IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0624.JPG trimming in the front fenders, also finished wiring up the MSD Ignition and coil, Made up the battery Grounds and hooked up the master cut off safety switch

29. Progress report, I finished pluming the fuel system today.. Carbs are hooked up, I worked on the carb linkage as well, Made brackets and installed the two front air shocks, Shot some clear on the front fenders ( cut in paint area ). Mounted the L & R front fenders
    Photos tomorrow.. Then I am loading up for the Auto Fair in Charlotte Wednesday through Sunday

30. Progress report photos including the F350 tow rig.... IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0635.JPG