Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Finally got a chance to take stance and profile pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks great, Fred, you must have a big smile at present.:cool::cool::D JW

tfeverfred and AndersF like this.
  3. nobux

nobux

Looks good Fred.

4. nobux

nobux

Now that spring is slowly coming to MN, I pushed mine outside to do some garage re-organizing. Without a heated shop, my winter progress always slows to a crawl.

[​IMG]

I built my frame for coilover shocks. 3/4 of the way through, I decided that a buggy spring better fit my end vision. Rather than redo the rear frame, I added a 2" spacer to keep the ride height the same. With no bed, it worked out OK. When I added the bed, things got cramped. My bed would be 6" deep, leaving no room for a fuel tank of any decent size.

The rear frame kick-up had to be changed. The trick was to do it without stripping down the car to bare frame. I welded together a jig to mark the frame and to support the new frame section. I also needed to pick up the existing shock mounts and spring mount in the same place on the new section. I drew out the frame full size, marking my shock and spring mount centerlines. I then sketched in the new, lower kick-up, measuring where those centerlines would be. I welded the new rear section on my table and dug out my sawzall.

[​IMG]

I cut on the lines, yanked out the old chunk, dropped the new one on the jig, clamped it, and welded it in. Done.

[​IMG]

Now I have a 9" deep bed and plenty of room. My shock mounts dropped right on and my spring popped right in.

[​IMG]

I had also built the car around a pair of 235/75R15 Hurst cheater slicks. I couldn't get them balanced, no matter how many times I tried. So I swapped them for a pair of 265/75R15 Mastercrafts that were 2" taller. Balance problem solved. But the added height put my caster angle into the sometimes iffy range.

[​IMG]

After awhile, the width of the new tires started annoying me. I loved the side profile, but from the rear they were just too FAT! So this winter I bought a pair of 235/75R15 Starfires.

[​IMG]

Much better!

When it warms up, I'll glass in the bed floor. Then I'll pull the body to prime it one color. While the body is off, I'll finish weld the frame and add some fish plates.
    Until the temperature rises, my next goal is to cut the 18 gauge steel bed cover in half and hinge it so I can start coming up with a pattern for the upholstery.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  5. Great work and so good to see these two coming along together. :cool::D JW

loudbang likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's some great work and cool problem solving. Nice!

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I really do. Since I'm building my car in my land lords shop, it can get crowded. He's not charging me to use tools and space, so I'd be a dick to complain. So, when a couple cars got moved yesterday, I finally got a chance to see what the hell she looked like from the side.

The body still has 3/4" to meet the frame, but even after lowering, my cowl will still be slightly higher than the grill shell. My rear shocks are at their highest mounting point, so even at the final loaded height, I'll have a nice subtle rake. I'm working towards that engine, now. One step at a time.

I think Gary is pleased.;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    pitman, brEad, Dick Stevens and 4 others like this.
  8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Gary would approve! :cool:

Blue One and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  9. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

....considering your avitar, I can’t imagine you liking a nice subtle rack. Just sayin.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Needing a little motivation, I applied my Clay Smith "angry bird" logos. I've admired Clay's logo ever since I first saw it. It's just seems iconic to me. That may explain why you see them on so many cars. It's not much, but it made me feel good and that's what counts. Things are going slow, but should pick up shortly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  11. Seeing your updates makes me feel good !!Looks good on black, progress is progress. :D:cool: JW

loudbang likes this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If it makes you feel good it was worthwhile!

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gets the gears in my head turning in a positive direction.

14. Took the RPU for a 4 hour trailer ride to attend a great Hot Rod show hosted by Graham's (k1w1rodder) club and we finally got to park them together. Great to catch up.:cool::cool::D JW
    [​IMG]

brEad, chryslerfan55, DaPeach and 5 others like this.
  15. loudbang, AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

17. That's really taking shape, Fred. Totally COOL!! :cool::cool::D JW

18. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Looking killer, Fred!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Nice progress Fred, great stance! I cannot believe the life of this thread, glad it's still going though.

Picked up my motor last week after the rebuild/dyno, still waiting on the transmission. Spring weather is finally here in Ohio and I have hope that I'll be back on the road to enjoy some of it soon. o_O

These valve covers won't be used, I didn't have the new ones yet when he buttoned it up. I should be able to leave it alone for a good long while now. Yeah sure.
    32077185_10210894568271685_1495152483096330240_n.jpg

23559807_10209782005498311_4020600826997399516_n.jpg

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's looking great, man!

chryslerfan55 and DaPeach like this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, progress has slowed. My position at work got sourced out, so I'm laid off. Down, but no where near out! The price of oil has been going up and welding jobs are looking good. So, to celebrate and keep my motivation going, I ordered and received my steering wheel.

It's not the 4 spoke Bell I had my eyes on, but it's a 4 spoke and the "holes" theme, to match my front axle and shock brackets, swayed me over. 13.5" in diameter with a nice grip. Now, when I play "ZOOM ZOOM", I'll have something to hold onto.;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    patmanta, DaPeach, brEad and 6 others like this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well Fred that just sucks however there’s usually pretty good money in welding jobs especially if you can get some more training and get certified for Tig and stick high pressure piping etc.
    Those are usually the highest paying jobs.

I have to say I’m glad I never spent my career as a welder in Texas, I probably would have died from a heat stroke :D

Good luck and keep plugging away.

23. Nice wheel, please don't try and see if your fingers fit in the holes.
    Hope you are not down for long. JW

loudbang, Blue One and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

What ever happened to the guy who started this thread, need louvers? Haven't seen him around in a while....

loudbang likes this.
  25. Jesse Bailey

Jesse Bailey

He's been playing with a falcon for his wife and post often on a falcon facebook group.

loudbang likes this.
  26. RodStRace

RodStRace

Sorry to hear about the job, Fred.
    Don't they know you need to live and build a T?
    Just had to have a well pump and motor replaced. Eating light for a while...

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Progress, but no pics yet. I called the guy building my engine and explained my being laid off. I still owed him quite a bit and he's helping to get me on the road. So, instead of getting a stroker motor, I'm getting a milder 350 that he had sitting in his shop. I supplied some cash and ordered all the top end stuff, which makes me paid in full. Carb, dizzy, intake, etc. The parts will be here Friday and I'll drop them off this weekend.

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That's the name of the game, adapt to the circumstances and you can always do the 383 at a later date when the finances are in order! Get it done and on the road where you can enjoy it! :D:D:D

chryslerfan55 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  29. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Wow, awesome Fred. Sorry to hear about the lay-off though. Your bucket will be just as fun and attention grabbing with or without the stroker.

chryslerfan55 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.