Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Elza Coupe - 26 T Gow Job build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rail job, Sep 28, 2014.

1. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Wow, it's hard to believe it's been two years almost to the day I started this thread. In honor I thought I would polish her up and take some milestone photos. I am also working on a video of the exhaust, more on that later. I'm a bit rusty with my good camera but I think these represent the car a bit better than all the cellphone pics I've shared throughout the build.

From the side I really like the stance I achieved using staggered 21 inch wheels however it won't stay this way. Unfortunately I need to raise it for ride quality and Michigan roads. Cruising around slow isn't bad but it gets quite jumpy and the front bottoms out pretty easy. A dropped axle is a possibility but will depend on what I do with the back. My goal is to make it a bit more stable at higher speeds, hopefully with new springs it won't ride like a brick but right now it's honestly not that fun on main roads.

Elza-1.jpg

In retrospect perhaps I should I have gone 19 inch wheels but I feel the larger wheel helps keep the proportions of the tall top pleasing. In the end I may need to go smaller for stability, and still maintain the opinion 16 inch wheels would be too small.

Elza-2.jpg

Elza-3.jpg

The interior is really as simple as it gets. One gauge and I used the original T switch to power the A distributor. The choke rod uses the factory T hole in the dash also.

int-1.jpg

Although presentable for a survivor look I think it would be nice to install a new interior. I'm still undecided on a resto kit or rolling my own out of something... This would be in once I sort out all the mechanical stuff but for now, I don't mind it.

int-2.jpg

This is still work in progress but when I'm bored I whittle away at the shift knob. For some reason I wanted to put the name on the car. This felt pretty good so I started it. I still have to do a bit of detail work and may fill it with a tinted epoxy but it may look too finished. Going against my typically anal ways I am trying to retain a level of crudeness / function over form feel.
    knob.jpg

Right now I have a pair of Zenith carbs on it. I warped the rear Tilly from exhaust heat and decided to give these a try. It runs ok but I have a few issues to sort out. I hate to take it apart because it revs nice, and sounds great running but, it's pushing some oil and cylinder 2 is a bit worse than the others so a re-ring might be in order. Early this summer a vacuum leak from the Tilly was dumping quite a bit of fuel causing oil contamination. Since the Zenith change I've changed the oil and have been driving to hopefully get the rings to seal better. As of today it's about 75% percent better so the jury is still out on a ring change...

eng.jpg

As I proof read I hate to make my anniversary post sound so negative. Although a bit frustrated with the car I really do love it and I have had a lot of fun. It's not my first build and have been part of bug chasing and redoing things when the original concept doesn't quite turn out as envisioned in our minds. In the end I just need to change things enough to be more comfortable at normal traffic pace on Michigan roads. The charm of the creaks, and squeaks, the smell of an old Hot Rod can stay. I just need it to drive a bit better.

elza-4.jpg

So.... Video pretty damn soon of the exhaust as promised and I'm still going through all the pics I took to show some more details. Thanks for reading.

Baron, LBCD, Jet96 and 15 others like this.
  2. pumpman

pumpman

I've been following from the start which my opinion on the build was changed by what you were doing and this confirms it! You gave it a second life and added lots of "cool". Great job man, and yes these Michigan roads basically suck.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    volvobrynk and Felipe Toltecatl like this.
  3. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thank you and get cracking. We need more early builds.
    Lol. Thanks, Rocky. I'm sure it will be more fun once I get it sorted out.
    And how, on our roads!

Once again thank you, pumpman. I've ran into a few purists around here including a local A club member who followed me home showing the car some respect. I think it being an early build has a bit to do with it.

I also found out the original chassis wasn't numbers matching and the frame appeared to have some accident repair if it makes anyone feel better.

Video coming soon guys. I think I found my misfire. Ran it today and it has the 1243 cadence. Need to fiddle with the carbs and test drive.

4. pumpman

pumpman

Thank you for your response and thank you for showing an old fart that you can respect heritage and take it to a new place where it will be appreciated. Keep those bangers keep banging! Outstanding!

Dannerr and volvobrynk like this.
  5. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Lol. You're welcome. You "old farts" are precisely where my respect for tradition came from. They have always been my best customers over the years in the business and have learned so much passed down wisdom.

Quick story... one time working the counter Ramchargers a short Mexican guy came to counter. Being a new employee he asked me for valve cover gaskets for a flat head v8.

I gave a quick smirk and playfully asked what year, had a laugh then took care of what he actually needed. As I said goodbye and shook his hand he introduced himself as Poncho Rendon. I knew his name and knew he had a lot of history but that was the first time I met him.

From there he became a great customer and friend. I still remember hanging out at his shop dropping off parts, shooting the breeze, talking cars, and history. It's a shame he passed. He was one of my favorite "old farts"

[​IMG]

robert4005, Stogy, Baron and 4 others like this.
  6. olskool34

olskool34

The engine in my '36 pickup that is now in Japan had a built '46 flathead that Poncho built. It was one hell of a power plant, it took the " real mill " award at Billetproof in 2008.

rail job likes this.
  7. panthershaun

panthershaun
    from Kent UK

damn I love your coupe!! I was almost at the point of moving my own 26 coupe on and looking for a 4 seater for the whole family but your car is spot on!! though I must say Id probably drop the french flattie V8 i've got in the shed into mine if I do it...

rail job and Dannerr like this.
  8. 58custom223

58custom223

Looks GREAT! Need to read it all again!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

9. sololobo

sololobo

love this T, so great to see a period very few have the nads to go with. Thanx!!

10. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Hey guys. Long time no talk and thanks for the kind words!

The car has been idle for a bit as life got in the way last year, as well as getting married.

As much as I regret it I'm thinking about selling it minus the engine and trans to get something more driver friendly.

I originally built it not only for myself but also to take my wheel chair bound father out for some cruising. Unfortunately it's too tall and I can't physically lift him to get him in the seat. I'm quite sad about it, really. He was really excited and even cried when he saw it for the first time.

Given my budget is tight and I still love prewar I'm thinking I may be able to get a decent driver and be able to build a nice little roadster out of my parts collection in my spare time. Or at least that might be the plan. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, Dannerr, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  11. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

Never too late to say something, - I followed this build since the beginning, instantly knew this was gonna be great, and boy, the outcome is amazing. Would be awesome to see it besides a couple of other, similar jalopy builds, like Clayton's. IMHO one of the best unchopped T coupes ever.
    I might be biased though, as it shares it's name with my 2 y/o daugher :D

Whatever you end up doing with it, it sure is a neat addition to the variety of hot rod T's!

12. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks for digging the build. I have a lot of pride in it and must say that is very high praise. I'm glad people have seen the car the way I envisioned it and agree it would be cool to hit an event with other cars such as trog although I'm not equipped to travel..

You don't hear the name Elza too often. I think it's a great name for a daughter!

Dannerr, Felipe Toltecatl and N.Ozols like this.
  13. Love your tall T. Keep it if y'can and make it ride better. Mine's on 19's at the moment - swapping in a B axle to bring the front down a smidgen this year.

26904088_10156064712472329_1765062866772473712_n.jpg

14. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Good looking car! Glad you kept the fenders too.

We'll see what happens. I've been weighing out options this week and how much it would cost to do what I want to it. Money is a bit tight and getting my dad in something is high on the list. I'll be a bit sad if I get rid of it but I need to be logical instead of it collecting dust for a couple years....

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  15. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Off she goes to her new home. I'm going to miss her... But I did make a good deal on a 31 coupe with a fresh B motor and juice brakes. Time to get cracking on this one.[​IMG][​IMG]

Chalkie, Shadow Creek, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  16. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Sweet! You gonna do a new thread in the Model A? Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

For sure! Once I start making some progress.

slv63 likes this.
  18. Tsk - late model. Hahahaha!

They 18's on there? That's what I run on the Fordor.

Dannerr likes this.
  19. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Lol. Right?

17's although a bigger rear tire will be in its future.

Dannerr likes this.
  20. The Elza Coupe was such a great car, build and thread.
    Looking forward to your treatment on the A

brad2v likes this.
  21. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks so much. I'm glad you dug it!

I have a few ideas for it. Spent today getting to know it a bit while I wait for it to start talking to me. I actually want to drive it through the process so it's not down too much.... Unless I can heat my garage for the winter!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Dannerr and spurgeonforge like this.
  22. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Looking forward to this.