Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Cadillac Sedan Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HermanMunster, Mar 9, 2017.

1. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great..Great pics

2. Looks like you are really doing a nice job on her!Bruce.

3. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Looking great

4. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

I've finally finished the patch in the trunk area and put the rear channel support back on. Once I cover this all with undercoating I think it'll look pretty good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Looks great.That will be perfect to haul your little blue (green) and white trailer with.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

Thanks! You know what the cool thing is? After we bought that 1956 Shasta trailer while I was dissasembling the dash I found this [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's an old trailer brake controller! And as it turns out, the Shasta we bought came optioned with trailer brakes! Not sure if I'll reuse it since the thing only weighs about 1200lbs, but still cool to know this Caddy used to tow something, back in the day

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

That car is talking to you!
    Between the size of the Caddy, and having a trailer, you can plan some serious trips!
    Watching.

8. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

I wanted to replace the body to frame rubber mounts but places like caddy daddy wants $620 for a set! So I just bought a strip of similar dimension rubber from McMaster and drilled the holes my self.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now I've finally got the body mounted and centered (which was pretty hard to do on the ground with two floor jacks) and I've established my ride height using a strap on the leaf springs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My universal triangulated 4 link kit came in from Welder series. They're an alliance member, extremely personal and easy to work with, and the parts look great. Comes with everything you need, but requires welding (hence the company name). It keeps the price super affordable though and lets me do all the fun stuff. I'll be cutting an access hole in the trunk soon to start installing this.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. philo426

philo426

Four link attaches to the rear diff,right?No leaf springs?

10. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

Correct. Im using the leaf springs to locate my differntial, then I'll be welding on a bracket to hold the differntial relative to the frame and removing the leaf springs to make room for the 4 link bracketry

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. philo426

philo426

12. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

Starting to mock up the upper and lower links. I made a box on top of the frame to support the upper link. Everything is just tacked for now until I get it all assembled
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  13. chstitans42

chstitans42

14. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. philo426

philo426

Looks good!How do you make sure that the welds will not crack or break upon rapid acceleration?

16. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

Thanks! Well I guess there are a few factors that play into it, but I would say the two main ones are equipment capability and weld experience. I feel comfortable enough in my ability to tackle a project like this, and my welder is capable of working with this thickness material. I also test welded a few pieces to ensure I had adequate penetration

17. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

For the front, I’m using Ridetech shockwaves. I liked the idea of not having to mount a shock somewhere else. They only sell one advertised for a 1956, but a 55 and 56 shared the same front suspension components involved so it worked for me. It requires opening up the coil pocket and installing a new lower control arm bracket that comes With the kit. It was very straight forward and looks great!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This is how much I had to notch out
    [​IMG]
    I cut a vacuum hose in half and glued it to the edge, just in case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here she is laid out. Still have about 5” of ground clearance which is perfect for me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. philo426

philo426

Yep!Looks like you hit it right!

19. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Wow what a great thread my Grandpa had a 55 Cadillac coupe and I'm subscribing to this!

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

Keep it up!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

I had a pair of Packard tail lights I felt would fit the car very well. The bottom shape of the light is almost perfect, and the height is perfectly level with the body across the car. I love the arc shape that the bumper end and light make!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. BJR

BJR

Save the parts you cut off as someone building a custom on another make body will want them with the original tail lights.

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

You might want to remove the stuff on the bags

24. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

I took this idea from someone else here on the H.A.M.B. used 3/16” steel rod and framed the tail light around the groove originally meant for the o-ring seal, then I’ll build the body around it. You can see how close to perfect this light fits on this car, but it’s slightly wider at the base, I’ll have to figure out a smooth transition or possibly massage it into place[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. japchris

japchris
    from England

Those lights were meant to be there. - Really enjoying this thread!

26. philo426

philo426

Very smart building an armature.Gives you a solid base when you graft in the new sheet metal.

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

Thanks to all for the input! I was able to hammer/dolly the bottom metal closer to true, and I used a clamp with a reversed arm to spread the body open a bit. This allowed me to get the outer edge pretty much flush with the wire frame, and will only require a small flare out on the inside edge. I’m learning a lot from this first one to hopefully help with the second one [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

29. philo426

philo426

Real skill welding that armature without warpage.Really cool headlight treatment!

30. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

Well I got put on a project at work for 2 months so I hadn't been working on the caddy, but finally got some time this weekend to continue. I don't really have a lot of metal shaping tools, so i used my shrinker stretcher with small 2.5" sections to try and match the body contour. There's probably an easier way to do this, but its working pretty well so far. IMG_6739.JPG IMG_6740.JPG IMG_6741.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.