Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New engine has oil in the exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devmar07, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Devmar07

Devmar07

Great advise thanks for all the help from everyone I will update when I get it back together.

2. Thicker head gaskets are for decked blocks. Not lowering compression ratio.
    The thicker gasket will lower the compression ratio, at the cost of an increased quench distance. That increased quench distance will be more problematical and lead to more detonation than the increased compression. You can go round and round with that if you choose but vizard, duntov, yunick, and Jenkins have said that not me. I've just seen it happen.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Left out rocker ratio issue's as well.

4. Devmar07

Devmar07

Not sure of the ratio

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There is designed ratio in a rocker arm it's self as in 1.5 as shown here. But when one moves the fulcrum point up or down from it's designed height location this will affect the ratio in terms of how each end of the rocker arm distributes the lift to the valve.
    [​IMG]
    A perfect sweep
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  6. Devmar07

Devmar07

I checked the block for warpage and it appears perfect. I also turned the engine over a few times by hand and with each stroke more oil drops would be left on the cylinder wall which gathered on the pistons. I would say about the same footprint a pencil eraser.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  7. Pic the worst cylinder and pop the piston out of there and look at the rings.
    You need to drop the pan, mark the cap, remove the nuts and cap, push the piston up.

If nothing is wrong,,,
    To put it back in, you'll need a ring compressor, couple pieces of rubber hose, torque wrench, maybe a oil pan gasket.

Post plenty of pictures.
    If there's something wrong with the rings you'll be doing the rest of them.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  8. Rocker geometry was the other thread lol

Johnny Gee likes this.
  9. Read every word on here 2 times.
    Then Go read your post 216 then come back here and read this again.

image.png

10. greybeard360

greybeard360

Not true with all engines. Wouldn't cause that on a hemi. Ford used to double stack head gaskets on engines heading to certain export markets to lower compression because of lower octane fuels.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Engine man likes this.
  11. Not hemi or ford in this thread.
    True fro SBC, Pontiac and a few others.

Btw, how did the double head gaskets work out? And when did they do that?
    When did they start with the dished Pistons ?

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

I would have to dig out an old parts book but I know the 430-462 and I think some FE's. Early to mid 60's. Stacked steel gaskets couldn't have dropped it all that much, but must have been enough.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I did jump to the next level didn't I. I'll back up a notch. Thicker head gasket of the amount OP is suggesting will require a longer push rod for rocker arms because the head/heads will most likely be raised further than what the head has been surfaced. But that's still ahead of the issue at hand. Can't build a two story house from the top floor down.

14. Devmar07

Devmar07

I 100% agree that pulling the engine is the right thing to do, I really want to and probably will eventually when I have the truck closer to finishing the state of my project is a bit overwhelming when I add pulling the engine to the equation. I'm going to drain the oil and try a heavier weight and if the rings don't seat after some miles I will pull it all apart and start over with a new block. Will most of the parts transfer.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There are no easy way's out. Take it apart and inspect it.

16. Devmar07

Devmar07

I don't mind hard. I mind cost I'm going to be 15,000 into this project and the wife is looking like she's about to take the kids and go (just kidding)

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ok, you need answers before the next question comes up over should you stay or go. Buddy, that's something none of us can help you with (just kidding). Be honest about the whole thing and most importantly, fix whats not really working.

18. Devmar. I just read the whole thread and you are right in starting over with a new or good block. Properly done, machined and assembly, your parts that are deemed GOOD will work. The SBC is a tough little kid, and done right will take alot and ask for more. Keep us posted. I hate to say it but, that engine looks to be hacked together.

19. That's the wrong approach and will cost you more time and more money. That's not so bad but mix in a wife who's edgie about things already, well that's not what you want to do. Easy for me to say I know, but it's the truth.

Nobody can regain the good money that been spent and turned bad. but anyone can stop the flow of good money after bad. Contractor right?? So your hypothetical new potential customer has a brand new roof installed incorrectly by a 2 man crew. One of those guys knew how to roof and the other was his first job. Parts of the roof are fine and other parts have 2 -3 nails per shingle and those Nails are too high. What do you do??? Send guys out there to flip up and inspect each and every shingle and Re-nail if needed then resell each and every shingle and put your name and warranty on it? HELL no! That roof gets torn off and done right or you walk away from it.

With the heads off you're literally less than 30 mins away from having a piston out, all 8 in less than 1 hour. Then you will be in a better place to make the wisest and most economically sound decision on a path forward.

Post up some good pics of the cylinder bores. The ones here don't show a good enough detail of the hone pattern.

Johnny Gee and Baumi like this.
  20. Devmar07

Devmar07

You know what your right I think I will just bit the bullet and pull it. It might be awhile before another update as I have to pull the truck apart to do it. I have a little more fabrication work to fit my running boards then I will dismantle everything. If you guys don't mind keeping watch for my update in the next couple weeks that would be great, 31 Vicky you are very persuasive and knowledge thanks for yours and every else's wisdom and knowledge.

21. Truth needs no defense or support

Johnny Gee likes this.
  22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

He is considering thicker gaskets to counter the heads being machined too far which is the same as the block being decked. Some people shave the heads to lower combustion chamber volume as it's cheaper and easier than decking the block. I've also seen them used when one head has been surfaced more than the other. It can allow stock push rods to be used.

23. Not my point at all.

decked blocks are not the same as shaved heads.
    You can not simply deck a block to raise compression and keep all the parts the same. Not going to happen, ever!! With a handle like engine man you should know better