Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How many guys out there have used a Vega steering with a cowl steering setup?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Txkahuna, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Txkahuna

Txkahuna
    from Texas

2. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Dang....no comments....looks like that is an uncommon setup....if you don't already have a Vega box, you might look into reversed Corvair...there is a nice kit available for that install. Lemme know if you want info, source, pics. Good Luck.

3. Try and find a better idea.

dana barlow, X38 and KustomKreeps like this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The Vega box is commonly used with cross steering, not cowl steering. May be why you haven't gotten any responses.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

There's another thread on poor cowl [side] steer set up and inherent bump steer issues due to poor geometry. Things work better when parallel and equal length to achieve the correct movement arcs.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cowl-steering-just-stop.1101046/
    A Vega box is OK with a light weight vehicle however in heavier vehicles it's not one I would recommend or use. If you decide to go down that road you require something more substantial and robust as you'd be pushing the boundaries with a Vega which is limited to a vehicle less than 2500lbs. The larger 525 box is more robust and better suited to heavier vehicles over 2,500lbs [Cross steer].
    http://classicperform.com/Dealer_Online/Html/CatalogPart3.pdf

6. I can't think of one.
    The cheap vega box will haunt you.

RICH B likes this.
  7. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

modified. It works well but is a lot of effort. I had to reverse direction and changed the ratio with a gear setup. The bracket holding the box is complex and required much bracing. I did this because I had like new Vega box and the shape of the steering arm is on of the best looking items the general has ever produced. Have fun,

Attached Files:

barrnone50 likes this.
  8. dan r brooks

dan r brooks

[​IMG][​IMG]62-72 MOPAR STEERING GEAR
    NO REVERSING JUST TURN IT SO PITMAN SHAFT POINTS TO THE COWL I HAVE USED THIS
    AND IT WORKED GREAT AS LONG AS YOUR GEOMETRY IS CORRECT

9. kursplat

kursplat

not going to comment on the cowl steering, (read that thread ;)), but if some one decides to use the mopar box http://www.firmfeel.com/a_body_mopar_manual_steering_box_rebuild.html Firm Feel does a great job on these in 3 different ratios. also has the kits to roll your own.
    p.s. i am not affiliated with FF at all

10. Xman

Xman

I used a Schroeder unit on my 34 3W and am very happy with it.

11. trey32

trey32

Schroeder or a modified f-100 box

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Or early Toyota Land Cruiser. Look of an f100 box but flat four bolt mount and recirculating ball type.

13. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I make pitman arm assemblies and cast aluminum blisters for the mopar box design. :)
    IMG_1312.JPG IMG_2414.JPG IMG_2826.JPG

Brandon McCall likes this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Some readers may wonder about the F100 box. I am using one on my replica champ car. I shortened the column shaft, lengthened the pitman shaft, and converted it to grease.
    sr_029_17.JPG sr_035_12.jpg SteeringMount01.jpg SteeringMount07.jpg sr_067.jpg

fourspd2quad, bct and Texas Webb like this.
  15. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

Can you provide the link to this conversion kit?

16. 34Phil

34Phil

Was Gas Alley but owner passed away last year