Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 200 inline 6 w/ tomco carb question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Bought my wife a 63 fairlane with the 200 in-line 6 but it needed a carb. All I could find quickly was a tomco tmc 1-64. I need to put a PerTronix in this car badly, I was reading that you can only run a PerTronix with specific carbs. Is the tomco one of them? And which PerTronix do I need, I see two part numbers on summit for the same engine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Tomco tmc 1-64. is a manual choke carb for 170-200 engine.
    Why do you NEED to put in a Pertronix unit in the distributor???????
    The 1266 is for pre-65, 200 engines

3. not sure how the carb effects the ignition choice

i see two Petronix kits on Summit......1266 that fits Ford distributors with a D shape shaft, 1261 that fits Motorcraft distributors with a round shaft

6inarow likes this.
  4. town sedan

town sedan

In '63 your wife's Ford would have come with a "Load-O-Matic" distributor that has no mechanical advance, operating completely on vacuum from the matched carburetor. If your parts house rebuild is correct for the application then it should work. That is if the rest of the ignition/carb system is functioning as designed. If not then you'll be chasing your tail.

I'm not up on these later Ford sixes, but there should be a way to swap in a newer distributor to eliminate the LOM system. If you've got running problems an electronic conversion inside the original distributor won't help much if the load-o-matic isn't playing right.
    -Dave

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Learn something every day. I thought Ford dumped the Loadmatic in 57... Guess not. I've never had a Ford 6 144-200.

6. So I’m probably better off just getting a new distributor. I am trying to finish my 47 ford and working 60 plus hours a week so I want her to be able to fire up this old fairlane and cruise to the grocery store or wherever

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Dump the Load a matic and put a Mallory distributor in. With no mechanical advance and wonky vacuum mechanism you'll be WAY ahead in driveability by replacing the whole unit. You'll just need to pull the distributor and see if you have the early 1/4" shaft or later 5/16".

gimpyshotrods and mr. h like this.
  8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

And if you are lucky enough to have the 5/16" shaft you can go this route https://www.skipwhiteperformance.co...-170-200-250-hei-distributor-6527-blue_86189/ Then instead of a Pertronix that you can't find parts for locally you can always find them from Chevrolet 6 cyl HEI's which are common.

Cosmo50 and mr. h like this.
  9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Wish I would have known of this years ago. It's hard to get people to understand just how quickly they need to get rid of the loadamatic. This is a killer deal.

gimpyshotrods and mr. h like this.
  10. what do I do if I have the smaller shaft? I swear I measured that it was 5/16 and bought one of those however it will not fit.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take out the Load-O-Matic, put it in a chop saw, and cut it in half, so nobody else will be subject to its misery.

If you have a 1/4" drive oil pump, then it is likely a very early 200, that does not have 7-mains (yes, they exist, '63-'64 ones had 4-mains). Count the number of freeze plugs on the passenger side of the block. If it is 3, you have an early block.

The early blocks have a smaller distributor bore, and a 1/4" oil pump driveshaft. I am not sure that 4-main 200's had a 1/4" distributor drive.

If you really have an early block, and 1/4" shaft, you would need to contact Davis Unified Ignition. They can make you an HEI for that application.

Putting a real distributor in there will make it feel like you gained 40hp.

This is a first-generation, 7-main engine. Note the number of freeze plugs on the passenger side of the block.
    IMG_20161209_134208_01.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  12. I have more than three plugs on the side for sure. Mine looks just like the one pictured. And I got a new dizzy for a 5/16 and it will not fit.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have more than three freeze plugs, then it is not the original engine.

You have a late-style, 7-main 200, if your freeze plug count is correct.

The distributor has an o-ring to seal it. These can sometimes make it hard to put them in, if that o-ring is not squishy enough. Try temporarily removing the o-ring, and see if it will go in.

Also, the hex for the shaft has to be lined up with the distributor gear. That will stop it from dropping in.

If you did have a 1/4" pump drive, it would not stop a distributor designed for a 5/16" pump drive from dropping in. Small shaft goes in a big hole just fine. Just don't run it that way.

If the body of the distributor does not fit in the block, even without the o-ring, you either have an early block (count the freeze plugs again), or you have the wrong distributor.

14. I just felt all along the side of the block and I can feel 4 plugs and I think I see one behind the generator. The distributor won’t fit because the shaft won’t fit in the hole that holds the shaft. See pics of what I have below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, the 5/16" pump shaft does not fit in the hole in the block?

Does your new distributor fit in the hole in the block, without the pump drive shaft in there?

16. Well now the original one won’t fit back it, what in the hell have I done?

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RUINED!

Seriously unsure. Do you have a proper set of calipers to measure with?

18. I just posted another pic below

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those do not look like the same pump shaft sizes. The new one looks bigger, both on the inside, and the outside. Gear teeth look different, too.

20. Also I just put a 1/4 Allen wrench in my original dizzy and it fit like a glove.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have calipers, measure the diameter of the distributor body, where it goes into the block.

Blocks with a 1/4" drive have a smaller bore for the distributor.

It is also possible that you have mismatched parts.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That 200 should not have a pump with a 1/4" drive, unless someone put one in there, on a rebuild.

If the bore of the block matches the new distributor, you may either need to swap drive gears, or have a hybrid shaft made.

To make a hybrid pump shaft, you would to get need a 5/16" shaft, and have it milled to 1/4" everywhere it is not inside the distributor gear.

If it were me, I would just swap gears.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    mr. h likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a bit concerned about the possibility that you have a 1/4" shaft, in a 5/16" pump.

It will fit, but it will be loose, causing the fit to deteriorate over time.

25. I’ve been told that the engine is all original and has never been touched. Im the second owner. Odometer reads 57k miles. So I’m doubtful that it’s ever been changed since it was new.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then it must be a traditional Ford "transition" car. There are a whole lot of those.

As long as the new distributor body fits in the hole, swap gears, and go.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And connect the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Put in a pertronix with a flame thrower coil and did the generator to alternator swap today and it runs like a top.