Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures It's been posted in the past but it's worth seeing again.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 23, 2018.

1. This is from 1959. HRP

2. 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. alumslot

alumslot

Thanks that was cool.

Jim

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the end that's Karol Miller with Rod Singer. He's the Y-block powered 1956 Ford of Bonneville and Daytona Beach speed trials fame. I visit with him often. He still wears his NHRA ring with pride.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Anybody see that those guys parked their dragsters and haulers at the cafe in a no parking spot! Lol They must have been in Tulsa, Oklahoma as they were going through the Turner Turnpike toll booth? Bones

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Cool , “the kiss”:eek::eek::eek:

3W JOHN, MMM1693 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Great! Renewed a lot of memories. Thanks HRP.

8. Fantastic!

9. Rodders

Rodders

Very cool

10. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Excellent!!! what a great film

Thanks for that
    Bobby

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff...it was interesting seeing those fellas hanging onto the rails at launch...one off grip might have had some serious consequences. Times were different thats for sure...The Good Ole Days...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  12. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Great old flim I see the Ohio boys did well Otie Smith Ohio George and Art Arfons I remember watching these guys run at dragway 42 when I was a little kid brings back some good memories my older brothers would take me there.

13. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Very interesting. "Nick was very helpful, he ate a lot as usual". LOL. Thanks for posting.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was 6 months old back then.:rolleyes:
    Good to see actual film { in color, too!} of some of the cars like the High and mighty {later Ramchargers} that I've read about and seen pics of in recent years. Some of those cars, were, looking back now, well, kinda weird in their thinking "out of the box".:eek: Like the sedan with enclosed rear wheelwells.....

My Pa in law has a CD that he had made from a lot of old 8MM film he had done over the years. Most of it is family, but part of it is when he was in the USAF in the early 60's, there is a couple of minutes of a drag race held somewhere that he attended, he doesn't remember where or when it was. I wish I could figure out how to load that section onto my computer so I could upload it here, but I've failed every time I've tried it.:(

15. As far as making a video and uploading it all you have to do is find a teenager,heck maybe even a kid in elementary school knows how,we are old farts and as the old adage goes it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks! :D HRP

3W JOHN, Texas Webb and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hey BM,
    It is great that your family had the idea of putting your old films on a CD. There are computer programs to get them off of the CD and placing them on your computer files. It is a long process and not always fun. Most communities have a store or two that converts old VHS tapes, CD/DVDs, and other assorted movies to a digital format. That is the only way to go to preserve old films. Once it is a digital file, you can transfer it anywhere, even on a flash drive for your bank safe deposit box.

We originally transferred our old drag racing movies from 16mm color to VHS. That was the top method of transferring back then...no computers, no digital formats. It was fun watching the films on VHS. But, as we all know from our own VHS horror stories, it was hard to continually stop, rewind, and view something over again, without doing something to that thin tape.

We also made the mistake of making CD and early DVDs when they came out. It was nice to plop those discs into the player and watch, but that was all anyone could do back then. Now, comes the computer age and digital formats. We made a DVD of all movies taken of our newborn son years ago. We gave it to him and he was happy, but asked us to re-do the DVD to digital format on a flash drive. He wanted to store the digital files on his computer, phone, and elsewhere for his own history storage. But, with the DVD, it was hard to edit the disc to get those files off.

Jnaki
    Finally, a couple of years ago, I got the idea to digitize all of our old 16mm color films for computer use and editing. A local company did all of our VHS files, CD/DVD gifts, and other formats into strictly digital files on an external hard drive. Those were the basis for my drag racing film collection and old family films. Now, they are stored in their original form, can be edited for super clarity, and edited to different methods to fit the current needs. You have probably seen some on the HAMB.

So, find your local store that can create digital files from your CD/DVD for your computer. Our local giant Costco has movie services, but they do not go back and make sure the copies are legible and adjust for super clarity, as much as possible. They just run your CD to a copy machine and you have another version. Those files need to be digitized onto a flash drive or external hard drive.

The quality from Costco was not as good as our local video transfer service company. That store was small, but did quality work. I have made many copies for friends and still have my original version for safe keeping. Old family history needs to be preserved for our future generations.

17. I have watched this movie many times, always good,anytime. The cars , racing and road scenes are great. The world was a better place back then IMO.

18. Something to be said for the simpler times,I believe that is one reason so many of us enjoy the hamb,Ryan was somewhat a visionary when he developed a web site that focused on a long dead era of our hot rod & custom car past and it drew many of us in like a moth to the flame. HRP

19. And great that era is preserved and alive by old farts and young ones.Viva HAMB.

3W JOHN, mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Well said guys.^^^^^^^:)

21. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I almost never watch posted video. Watched this one and while lots of things may be better today, I damn sure wish that I was there then!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. mbailey99gt

mbailey99gt

Great video!
    Reminded me of good times in the 60s when I got to see my Dad run his 61 Starliner along the Texas Gulf Coast.

Thanks for sharing...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. The first drag race I ever attended I saw our neighbor that lived a few blocks away run his car in 1963,the neighbor was Gene Cromer and the car was the Moonlighter ,I have been a big fan my entire life but most of all I can call Gene my friend. HRP

24. Cool never seen it before. I was shocked that the gassers were not the real gassers. :rolleyes: :D :D

Special Ed and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks for posting this great video HRP. It was a great way to start my morning!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. I watched it again this morning. HRP

27. Rod Singer sure knows how to finish a day!:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. He sure put a lip lock on the trophy gal. :D HRP

ct1932ford likes this.
  29. Special Ed

Special Ed

I'll share a story about this video that Dode Martin shared with a few of us, while hanging out in his shop one day. By the way... Dode is the narrator, but that's NOT actually his voice on the video... ;)

The caravan stopped at a roadside restaurant one day, someplace between here and there, and one of the crew thought it would be a great idea to take a quick nap seated in the trailered dragster instead of the wagon (too crowded), while everyone else ate inside the restaurant.
    They finished eating their meal, climbed back into the wagon to continue their journey, and didn't bother checking to see if everyone was accounted for ... After several minutes and getting back up to highway speed, Dode (who was driving at the time) felt a strong THUMP and a sudden drop in acceleration. He looked in the rearview mirror, and saw the dragster's parachute fully deployed! He pulled over quickly, and the previously napping crew member explained that he had tried everything to get their attention, but had ran out of options, and wasn't going to travel hundreds of miles seated in that dragster, parked on that damn trailer ... :eek: true story ...

Hamtown Al, raven and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. That's hilarious Ed,thank you for posting the true story,I can almost visualize that parachute being opened and slowing the wagon down. :D HRP