Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spraying POR15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FNG, Mar 18, 2018.

1. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

I owned restoration shop for 20 years, used gallons of POR 15, mostly inside panels like doors and quarter panels, and almost always sprayed. Great product, follow the directions! These aren't suggestions, they are DIRECTIONS...
    NOW PLEASE, READ THE REST OF THIS POST!

Every now & then this question comes up, and I always post this, so without taking the time to read all the responses, I'll put my usual post on the perils of painting, from a while ago...Please take the time to read this, it's worth a minute.

"...Something that needs to stressed here, and I only say this from 30+ years of painting cars in everything from driveways, to garages, to downdraft booths...safety first...this is something that gets a once over, "wear a respirator with new filters..."...good advice, but if you're doing this in an environment that does not have enough CFM of fresh clean air introduced into it, a respirator will only work so well for so long, then you are in an atmosphere FULL of evaporating solvents, and air-born paint solids, and catalyzed nasty chemicals that can KILL YOU GRAVEYARD DEAD!... not to mention the risk of explosion from a room full of solvent vapors...that being said, my suggestion is to rent a spray booth if possible, but you MUST at least wear a respirator, preferably a full face, forced air unit that covers the eyes, with pristine clean air coming from a protected source that will not be contaminated with paint fumes (found this out the hard way, stupid me...) Catalyzed paint, isocyanates and other nasty chemicals enter your body through your lungs, yes, but THROUGH THE EYES AND SKIN, ALSO! Aside from fresh air, you need to wear a paint suit, taped at the wrists and maybe ankles, and gloves, and a head sock,...TREAT SPRAYING PAINT AS YOU WOULD SPRAYING ANY POISON, because that's what it is, damage caused by misuse of automotive refinishing chemicals cannot be "fixed" with a trip to the doctor! Once the damage is done, well...Want to be alive 10 years down the road to enjoy your ride you worked so hard on? Be smart, don't take ANY chances spraying deadly chemicals...

Just my 2 cents worth...good luck with your paint job..."

Eric
    Hoof22

2. I had bad luck on my frame.
    I'll never use it again.
    I applied por-15 on clean dry frame rails on my 61 Chevy.
    Other projects kept me from it for many years. It was always stored inside. Once I returned to it, the por-15 came off in sheets.
    I'm in a position to run cyclic corrosion testing on paint film in my job. We tested several paint over rust products. Por-15 did not pass, in fact was one of the poorest performers. Only one passed.
    Por-15 appears to be better at hardening up like glass that biting into metal. That explains all the prep the company wants you to do. I'm not a fan...

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. As for the guy who gave all the great advice on safety and fresh air respirator use, he is right on!
    Think about it folks, look how paint products soak and stay on your skin... DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT HAPPENING IN YOUR LUNGS?
    Don't make an appearance on the "stupid is as stupid does" list...
    As for me, I would never spray por-15 even if it actually did work like they say it does.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  4. millersgarage

millersgarage

I use it without issues, have for years. Always brushed it on.

I witnessed someone spraying it, and yes, it coats EVERYTHING in sight. Even in a booth it coats the walls, ceiling, and floor. If you can do it outdoors, then give it a go with all the safety items mentioned above.

mikhett and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad to see the safety measures stressed. If you're in a garage and brushing it, YOU STILL NEED FRESH AIR. ventilation is critical to safety. I said above, take a break and get some air yourself, and I stand by that, always.

Hey dustyol, put up a link to Kryptonite and related products. Wish it was easier to get, I only have 2qts of POR to use up and I'll switch for life...;)

6. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

57 I don't know for sure, the first time I sprayed it it was outside on a different line than inside, then after the rebuild it did it again on the inside line, after that problem is when I got the NAPA paint and no problem with it, on both paints my regulater/filter is 10 ft from the gun and so is the TP filter, then a ball filter at the gun. Just recently I rigged filters and regulaters up so a painter could paint and clear some trim on some doors and no problems, so I either had a piss poor batch of paint or my not washing stuff with the magic soap was the problem.

7. It says in the instructions that it is not UV stable and needs to be top coated for UV protection.

As for the safety aspect it is a MOISTURE cure urethane. It uses water as it's catalyst that it pulls out of the air. Considering the human body is about 90% moisture you do not want it getting to any part of your body especially mucus membranes like your nose, lungs and eyes.