Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hot rodding an original 1930 roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 52 ford coe, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Hey everyone, can someone brake it down from 1 to whatever on how to get more speed from a stock model a? From basic to extream. I see so many different ideas and I guess I would like to see what people have done. Just a high compression head? Transmission? Gears? All of the above?Best parts by brand? stuff like that. Also just bolt on. No major redo add on stuff. Trying to keep my build simple but make it a little faster. Maybe real fast(as a 4 banger can go) but thats down the road. THANKS!

Vanness and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    52 ford coe likes this.
  3. All great info from stogy^^^^^.

Stogy likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Buy the new Vern Tardel book.

52 ford coe and Stogy like this.

5. xix32

xix32

If you get it to go faster, how will you get it to stop quicker?
    I restored a `31 roadster once. It seemed to top out at about 50 mph. But when it came to stoping it, I sure wouldn't have wanted it to be going any faster.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Thanks guys for your help. Yes faster means being able to stop. That is also part of the plan. Really looking for what is being done for bolt on applications to make it go faster. What works best... people's setups.. stuff like that. Thank you again

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    52 ford coe likes this.
  8. Fast and Banger in the same sentence kind of makes me Chuckle a bit. I have one of those and have been part of a Land Speed record setting 4 Banger. It was Fun for sure but Fast in the context of Hot Rod fast on the street they are not. I do get the whole Banger thing people are doing but knowing what kind of $$$ it takes to get compression to effectively burn the extra fuel you need to stuff in there and Not take out the Babbitt bearings, good luck there. Yes you can do the insert bearing change over, again not cheep by any measure. At best from my point of View they are a fun Novelty and I know some do drive them long distance but not without staying on top of them. Just because it only has 4 holes don't mean you can build it for 1/2 the cost of a V-8. A little dress up on the outside is way Kool but past that will cost ya about the same as any other motor.
    The Wizzard

52 ford coe likes this.
  9. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Go here and look at the dyno sheets
    http://www.modelaparts.net/
    This will give you an idea of what you can get for different mods. As mentioned, its only fast if you're comparing it to a similar car. Any minivan on the road will outrun it in low gear.
    Still fun to tool around in, you have a nice looking car, if that's it your avatar. Good Luck

52 ford coe likes this.
  10. I hear you on cost of build. I already have a built motor in my 64 galaxie. So i guess you are right.. 4 bangers are not fast. I want the something different. Everyone has the hopped up roadster with the 350 or some other motor. Not many maintain the 4 cylinder. Plus the 4 banger sounds and looks cool done up. IMO. I'm not looking for land speed record. (Although that must have been awesome) I just want to run with traffic and have the get up to get there.

waxhead likes this.
  11. Thanks! Yes that's my roadster

12. I understand for sure. The Fun factor comes in many shapes and sizes. My advice is to make sure you have a large rear view mirror. I have my Banger project headed for the Spring swap meet. Other than body it's probably close to where your headed. Model A chassis, hyd brakes, Dropped A axle, Motor built by Archie Sommers and Peat Richerdson. A few years back it went to B-Ville as a pit car with a 30 Sedan body on it so 4 of us could travel in one car. I had my 30 Roadster slated to live on it after we came back home. That changed and it now is Full Fendered 27 Roadster Pick-up running driving but not street ready and for sale. I've gone back to a V-8 flathead for the Roadster. Almost the same $$$ but different.
    The Wizzard

13. I do have a flathead 8 and trans that came out of a 49 f3. I was going to put that in it but really would like to keep the 4 running. Really I'm sure I will go back and forth for months till I make up my mind haha

14. I like your Avitar as is and if it runs and drives now I say stay the course. They come apart so easy and getting back to the Fun Factor seems to go on forever.
    The Wizzard

52 ford coe likes this.
  15. First I would buy Jim Brierly's book " 4 bangers and me" lots of info there. My roadster is a basic prewar dry lakes style with the 4 cylinder. My motor is a stock rebuild that has a Winfield 6-1 head, downdraft Winfield carb, model B cam, Mallory Ya dist. and a 42 pound flywheel. I can do 65 easy but the car is more comfortable at 55. I still run mechanical brakes and I have changed to a model B trans with 40 gears. Is it fast NO is it fun YES.

16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Look at Secrets of Speed Society and F.A.S.T. (Ford A Speed and Technology), they are both banger sites and will give you some ideas on hopping up the banger. Another good upgrade is a 3:54 rear gear.

52 ford coe likes this.
  17. This is what I was looking for thank you! I guess what I should have clarified is "fast for a banger". You guys are making me think and I appreciate that just as much.

18. Yes not much to them for sure. I'm enjoying this car a lot. My other old rides are fun too but, the simplicity of the "a" is great.

19. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

First I would buy Jim Brierly's book " 4 bangers and me" lots of info there.

x2. Good informative book.

52 ford coe likes this.
  20. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I put a Snyder's 5.o head and a new carb on my 30 coupe I had, oh and replaced the distributor too. I got on youtube and found a place called "Flathead Ted's" for a mechanical brake upgrade. I'm thinking it was all under 750 bucks and it took that 40MPH (tops) up to a 50-55 mph car that would stop on a dime. Still slow for interstate driving, and it had a little more, but I did not want to over rev it not knowing the internals. It was fun to drive and the guy I sold it too still has it after 6 years, and has driven it 15xxx miles since. He and his club made the Alaska trek and he proudly drove that car. I don't think I have anything on the place that I would take off to Alaska in.:)

52 ford coe likes this.