Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Don't Be Afraid to Stop and Ask

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Feb 28, 2018.

1. ClOckwOrk444

ClOckwOrk444

I went to a shop in jordan MN to look at an old galaxie once. The owner of the shop immediately talked me out of the car and said it wasnt old enough for me, and brought me upstairs in his shop (at this point i was VERY nervous HA) and showed me his nostalgia/rail dragster (not exactly sure what class it would have run in, or the name off the top of my head) it was powered by a blown hemi . At this point in my life, i hadnt realized what it took to run a car like this. Looked it over for hours and learned why he transported the car with the valvetrain disassembled etc. Very cool. I have seen that he has parts for sale quite often and i always say i want to get down there someday. It's difficult in MN to find anything just "sitting around" in the back 40.... most of that stuff turns into a brown unrecognizable pile of rust fairly quick.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've never hesitated to talk to people about their old cars or anything else. It never occurred to me to be nervous about it. Open a conversation with a smile, a brief introduction (remember to remember their name!), explain why you're there, and then let THEM talk. They always will. You can usually get a good story out of someone, sometimes they'll offer to sell or even give something away because you took a genuine interest in it - and them.

My friends do call me The Mayor because I'm always gladhanding the populace. I guess it comes natural.

3. I was driving my 57 Pontiac tudor up to my cousin's place in northern Oregon when I spied a familiar shape out of the corner of my eye.....turned around and saw a blue and white 55 Pontiac hardtop through the bushes, sitting beside the house...no sign but I thought "What the hell? nothin to loose by asking" Knocked on the door and a 30s ish guy said the car had "a blowed up motor". It was his mom's car and on her way back from California it made nasty noises and quit running...had it towed to the house and it sat ever since.
    I sympathized with the poor bastard and asked what he was gonna do with it. He said I could have it [he loved my 57] if I would leave him the brand new tires on it with him.
    WELL! I hustled back to town, got my step brother, 4 wheels and tires and drove back with the tires and a hot battery. Thanked the guy, collected the title and used a chain to drag the car off his property....started the engine and he was right...it sounded bad but I immediately recognized the sound as clattery valve gear.....yanked the rocker covers off to see 3 broken rocker arms. There was a junk yard about a mile up the road with several old 55 Pontiacs in it....got 3 rockers for 9 bucks and replaced the broken ones...lit it off and that little 287 ran like a top!
    Drove that car many miles....my dad drove it also and it ended up with my step brother.
    Always stop and ask!

4. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Ive been after a certain 32 Chevy coupe body for so long that when I see the owner the first thing he has to say is NO,and then smiles. I just want to be the first one he thinks of when the time comes....I hope

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Last year I was test driving my latest ride around my neighborhood. Several trips up and down the old highway near my house. I noticed that one house had some interesting old cars in the driveway. On one trip I saw the garage doors were open and there was a hot rod in the garage. I pulled in the driveway and went to the front door of the house, and knocked on the door. After a long wait, and much dog barking, a lady came to the door. I explained that I lived about a mile away and that I enjoyed old cars and I stopped to introduce myself. She replied " The cars are not for sale". I repeated that I was just there to introduce myself as I lived close by and I had a common interest. She again told me "The cars are not for sale" I told her again that I was not there to buy the cars but to just visit. She replied again "The cars are not for sale" I said goodbye. A failure to communicate, I guess. I never have met the guy.

John

6. There is an old junkyard and trash collection company about a mile from my place. In the back acreage I can see some old 40s and 50s cars and trucks. I've asked before whether I could go back there and browse among the abandoned vehicles, but they've turned me down. Recently the family business sold out to a bigger trash collection company, so I'm heading over there when the weather turns warmer to give it one more shot. They have some old large trucks, too, and I need some gauges. Fingers crossed.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  7. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

My sons friend works for his dad that has a scrap business.Friend had a four sided old traffic light for sale.I went to look and asked where they get their scrap and what kind of items related to the light. Best question of this year so far!!!. They have some very good contracts and first dibs on what I,ll call mechanical and traffic related waste. Lights ,signs,gears,and all kinds of vintage stuff i use for art work. NEVER hurts to ask!!!

spurgeonforge likes this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, this story SORTA fits this thread.;)
    About 45 years ago I was trying to put together my first Model A hot rod. Found a guy some couple hours away with a 40 Ford panel that he'd sell but no title but a bill of sale. Took a non-car guy friend and his 9 yr old boy with me in my Dad's big wrecker to get the truck... my friend tells me that his son STILL talks about that ride in the wrecker!
    I tow it to my Dad's service station and let it sit while I keep hustling to come up with a workable combination to yield a hot rod. Truck just sits. Guy stops by the station and wants to buy the truck. Dad calls me and I talk to the guy. He buys my $100 or so truck for $400 or there abouts. He comes back within a week or so and takes the front clip off the truck and says I can have the rest if he can just leave it. Works for me. 6 months to a year later a guy stops by the station and wants to buy the rest of the truck. Dad calls me... you know the rest. This time I think maybe $250.
    He actually hauled it away but not very far from my Dad's station... less than 5 miles for sure and on a street that I routinely drove down 4 or 5 times a week so I watch to see what happens.
    Nothing happens for 6 months or longer so I called him up as I'd kept his phone number.
    He says his plans didn't work out so he'd like to sell it... yep, I bought it back for half or less; I forget. I towed it back to my Dad's service station.. same "lucky" spot!.
    Third guy comes by the station and wants to buy the truck; Dad calls me, etc. This time for $200 or close.
    He asked me to tow it for him at my Dad's normal towing rate and I did. This time some thirty plus minutes away.
    A year or two later, I called him to check on his progress. His plans had gone south and he said the truck had gone down and I could have it if I'd just come tow it away from his aunt's house where it was no longer welcome.
    I get a buddy and my Dad's wrecker and head over to get the truck.
    When I got there, the truck was really looking forlorn and my enthusiasm faded fast and I decided I wasn't sure towing it away was going to be worthwhile as it was a way back to the station and I wasn't sure it would make it and then it might get ugly. So I go to the front door and tell the kind lady to tell her nephew I appreciated his offer but I wasn't sure there was enough left to make towing it away worthwhile. She said she would really like to see it gone and asked me if I'd take it away if she gave me $50? So, we began to tow it back to the station but after a few blocks my pal suggested we pull into a big parking lot to check the chains, etc.. Just before we came to a complete halt, a big 'ol black snake come rolling out from under the truck and seemed a bit indignant that we had jostled him from his comfy home! He went on his way across the parking lot to the complete satisfaction of my co-pilot and me as well.
    Anyway, got it back to the service station without any drama and put it back in the "lucky" spot for about the third time.
    A few months later, a guy stops by my Dad's station... sold again! He even towed it away.
    Ain't seen it since but I wish I had. Regrettably I let the guy get away without getting his number!!
    It never hurts to ask!!:D:D

spurgeonforge and osage orange like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I was down in the Kimchi mountians and spotted a Merc, out in the weeds, walked up and asked the guy if it was for sale, he said yes but it it had a “racing “ engine in it that’s why he bought it a long time ago. Told me it take $200 to buy THAT car! Whooped out two bills, that’s how I scored my 428 Super Maurder.

pat59 likes this.
  10. deadbeat

deadbeat

Yeah totally understand. Easy for some to say "just ask". Whether its a feeling of rejection or fear of confrontation, its not a nice place to be sometimes. One of the hardest things I had to do was address a room full of my peers as to why I wanted to be a black belt in Karate. Great story and thank you for sharing,, cheers