Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TRANSMISSION, LaSalle...an exploded view?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Dec 19, 2006.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres a thought. How about machining a steel shift button, and coating the ends with a modern dry-film lubricant coating?

2. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

!2 year old thread, but still some good info for geezers like me. I just picked this up a couple of months ago after sitting dormant for a few years and always looking for info. like this thread. Just wondering, who is the go to guy for parts after all these years?

Attached Files:

Paul likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

which parts? Gaskets and seals, or gears? My guess is there is one seal you might need to replace, and possibly three gaskets. The seal you can look up by size or part number when you get it out (if it's leaking), the gaskets you can make yourself.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Super cool score.
    Best makes a gasket set,
    Some bearings are available
    Most internal parts, gears, shafts, syncros will need to be harvested from donor transmissions.
    They can be relatively slow shifting, no syncro into first is not ideal, parts can be hard to find, they can leak, that long tail shaft can be tough to fit in a short wheelbase car.
    But they are very strong, the gear ratios are right for yor Olds there, you won't need a five speed with all that torque and that Hurst Mystery Shifter is a great match for it.

ZZLEGEND likes this.
  5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

The 37 top shift has a smaller countershaft. You can use the gears from a sideshift if you make the counter shaft holes in the case bigger for the shaft.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

You can swap all the rest of the gears directly, including the '50 Olds with its short tail shaft and housing.
    I would think that if you have room for the long tail you might want to keep it, it should help in supporting the main shaft.
    Same goes for the shifter, if the stick is in a good place use it.
    I've had a few of these transmissions, mixing and matching to see what works.
    Last one I swapped the Olds tail onto essentially making it an Olds and used that same shifter, my current one I converted a '37 top shift to take the Ford closed drive, I have another '37 waiting in the wings with the Olds tailshaft.

What i like best is they have a great "old car" feel to them. I drive these old cars because I like old cars. I like the way the sound and feel and react, and if it stays together when I push it, isn't that what it's all about, this "traditional" hot rodding?

36 ROKIT, vtwhead and ZZLEGEND like this.
  7. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Paul, I have seen the best gaskets and will purchase some soon. As for the trans itself, it seems good. The motor runs great and have ran the trans thru all the gears and appears good. I plan on keeping the long tail shaft, but just have to find some thing to drop this in now. I just installed an old tri power set up a couple of days ago. Had it in my garage for 30 years and figured might as well use it now. I posted it on another thread and have to update it with pictures.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...d-from-back-in-the-day.1098843/#post-12461349

Paul likes this.
  8. expavr

expavr

Some good advice here about these transmissions. From my personal experience with a 39 Caddly/Lasalle and Hurst shifter behind a 354 Hemi. - AVOID a 1-2 speed shift, TAKE CARE with a 2-3 speed shift and if you take it apart make damned sure you collect all the needle bearings that come out. Taking advantage of the Hemi's torque while pulling off in 2nd from a stop wasn't a big deal as I'm sure you'll discover with the Olds. For nostalgia there's nothing better than the whine of a Caddy 1st gear backed up by the exhaust noise from a set of straight pipes. I'm looking forward to seeing your project on the road....

ZZLEGEND, 36 ROKIT and Paul like this.
  9. Great find! Lots of those side shift cads around for parts. I would go shopping for a spare tranny to support that one, just saying.

ZZLEGEND, 36 ROKIT and Paul like this.
  10. I will have a '40 long shaft up for sale later this year, if and when someone will be looking for a good one.
    Also have the Olds adapter and clutch. (Sitting on my shelf since '62.)