Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Whats a 337 flathead worth nowadays?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Hey all, dude at work came up and offered me a flathead hes trying to sell, needs to clear up garage space. Said it was a ‘49 8ba but turns out its the big 337. Motor turns free, pulled the heads and all looks well. I dont really need any more shit in the garage, but is this worth picking up? He wants $250 for it, i know there hard to get parts for and heavy. Thought about snagging it anyway, worst case i can re sell it eventually. Opinions ?

Clay Belt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

I mean, I would take it, why not, price seems fair for a decent motor. If your gonna flip it, just give it a good once over before you lay down your own cash

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you don't have a use for it offer scrap price and save him the trouble of hauling it to the junk yard. Something like that might take forever to sell and be lucky to get $500 so is it even worth the bother?

On the other hand if it came with clutch and transmission, and you were in the mood to build a novel type of hot rod it could be a fun thing to have.

4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I have a few engines in my basement that have been in the way for several years, that I occasionally try to sell and then consider just dragging off to scrap.

So my advice is to think carefully whether you want to spend a bunch of your time and effort to drag home a big lump that you may be storing for years until you sell it at a loss or scrap it.

Keep in mind that he is tired of it cluttering up his garage!

Bubba1955 and flatford39 like this.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My opinion also, this thing is a real oddball and extremely doubtful you'll ever find a sale for it.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You might suggest to him to advertise on Craigslist or some such and if it sells, great...if not, after a certain length of time you'll haul it way...at no charge. If it comes to that, at least you won't have but a little labor in it, so very little to lose when you get rid of it.

Ray

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You might advertise it on the AACA site or a Lincoln club site if there is one.AACA Forums

Hnstray likes this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also used in the big Ford trucks. I think H&H has aluminum heads and maybe an intake for them.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That engine was only used in 3 years of Lincolns and big Ford trucks. I'm sure that both availability and demand are very low.

10. There have been some cool hotrods built with 337s...

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly (which I often don't) there was a pretty nice car at the West Coast Trog in Pismo last year with a 337 flattie.

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

They seem interesting, i believe they make like 275 ft lbs stock, not terrible. I might snag it for the hell of it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Al T likes this.
  13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Only guy I know of who used the Lincoln flathead when they were new was Earl "Madman" Muntz in his Muntz Jet. He started by using Cadillac engines then switched to Lincoln.

I have wondered if he got a deal on the Lincoln engines because they had a big overstock when they changed to OHV engines in 1952. After all they used the big flatty in Ford trucks until 1958. This suggests they had a warehouse full of unsold engines that took 7 years to use up.

14. oldolds

oldolds

I always found any engine was worth a lot of money when I was buying it. The same engine was not worth more than scrap price when I was selling it.

sprdave4264, Hemi Joel, weps and 8 others like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

DO NOT SCRAP IT. Snag it and try to sell it. There has to be someone out there looking for something like that. If they were only made for three years as stated above I would think there are not many out there. Just my two cents.

slim38 likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

They weigh a ton, but they make a lot of low end torque, and there is some speed stuff around for them, but it's rare.

I would say worth it if you think you might actually use it, but probably not going to make you money if you buy it for resale. You can always make the guy an offer too. Would be cool in an open hood hotrod, would leave guys scratching their heads. Aluminum intake and heads would be pricey but would help with some weight savings.

Lots of stick bellhousings and flywheels out there for them but they're big truck pieces and extremely heavy cast. I think the Lincolns had an adapter plate to bolt a GM Hydro onto it, not sure if that could be used in tandem with some early GM stick bell?

17. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bring friends. that thing probably weighs 850 pounds.

APACHE FS likes this.
  18. For size comparison. My 337 next to my 99A. 03E4BE25-FA8C-4B26-A111-817F72972A27.jpeg

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hot Rod Lincoln???

oliver westlund likes this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Honestly,
    I would pass. I would pass if it was free.

21. Always the way...

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  22. vetteson

vetteson

Muntz used these engines in '51 only. I came upon parts when I got my Muntz. I finally traded them for some other stuff after I was unable to sell any of the parts.

23. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I have one I run and it's got a lot of work in it but it goes like hell, if you can get one and even let it sit the price seems good to me. they are heavy but the weight obviously goes down when you scrap the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. They started life at I think 150 HP so with heads intake and a cam they wake up pretty good.

cactus1 likes this.
  24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

vetteson do you know what they used after 1951? I believe they were made until 1954 first with Cadillac, then Lincoln, then what?

25. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

I think I would ask this question on the FordBarn sister site. I believe there is demand for that engine at that price.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  26. vetteson

vetteson

Muntz used the 331 Cadillac in 1950 while cars were first being produced in Glendale, CA. When the transition from Frank Kurtis to Muntz was complete, in 1951, Muntz switched to flathead Lincolns, most stock, some with modifications. Some time in early '52 Muntz was able to get 317 OHV Lincolns, which he used until the end of production. During the car's run, some cars were equipped with different V8s as per wishes of the buyer. Chrysler 331 hemi and 303 Olds were the other choices.

27. 52Muntz

52Muntz
    from PNW

My 52 Muntz had the 337 and was one of the first 20 or so built that year. I’m not sure when they made the switch over to the OHV but I thought maybe the 337 was used for the majority of 52. Could be wrong.

What I do know is that it is a giant motor and weighs something like 900lbs. They share very few parts with their smaller flathead siblings. There are speed parts for it, but they are few and far between and are somewhat rare. I believe Kanter and possibly Egge make rebuild kits for the 337 but I’d recommend getting it dipped and checked for cracks before you invest in those. But, if you are looking to have a unique flathead for you’re local show, it’d be hard to beat the 337.

Clay Belt likes this.
  28. One of my favorite roadsters has a 337... image.jpeg image.jpeg

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's possible Muntz bought engines in batches of 25, 50 or 100 and used them until they were used up then bought more. Have heard of other limited production cars like the British Bristol which used Dodge 318 engines in the fifties and sixties. Sometimes a new Bristol would have a 2 or 3 year old engine.

30. MuntzManMike

MuntzManMike

Our 52 Muntz (number M133) had a 331 Hemi. When we started to rebuild we found the block was cracked on both sides. For now we are putting a 392 Hemi in its place. There is a shop on the south side of Chicago that may be able to repair the block. If so we will have them rebuild it completely.

kidcampbell71 likes this.