Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

... a few more photos of Champion micro-car!

upload_2018-3-19_21-58-14.jpeg

upload_2018-3-19_21-58-34.png
    upload_2018-3-19_21-58-58.jpeg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the Second World War, Europe was full of new-developed micro-cars, some known as bubble-cars, some in a style of modern cyclecars, as the first models of Champion or Voisin Biscooter! However, soon small cars, but designed and made as real cars prevailed and micro-cars disappeared.

Ciao,
    Zoran

Rolfzoller likes this.
  2. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

3. tarcoleo

tarcoleo

motoklas likes this.
  4. SR100

SR100

Not really. The plywood is primarily a seat base. It is an I-beam chassis stiffened by the cockpit surround. The skin and the seat base add only a little to the stiffening.

5. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

===========================

Hello,
    I think that you must be right, according to photos and sketch!
    Probably that wooden plate is made of plywood?

We should pay attention to the central tube connecting the front and the rear cross-tubes that are carriers of the front and the rear suspension.
    All four wheels are independently suspended, with long leading arms at the front and long trailing arms at the rear, with coil/spiral springs attached to the central tube, two for front and two for rear arms...

Probably that light (aluminium?) carrosserie with tube frame add some stiffness and torsional resistance for the entire system?

So, besides a cute look of light quadricycle for two persons, it was designed and constructed in a very clever way.

Would be nice to replicate it as "light quadricycle" according to E.U. Directives, but not an easy task, including half-shafts with universal joints (maybe rubber disks?)

Ciao,
    Zoran

Rolfzoller and tarcoleo like this.
  6. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

P.S.: It seems that SR100 and I were writing comments at the same time!
    (still think that plywood plate have some role in stiffness and torsional resistance with everything else, including soft springing)
    Z.

tarcoleo likes this.
  7. Kume

Kume

# not cyclecar.jpg
    # Not a cyclecar.

NashHcourt (1).jpeg
    Legends

Rolfzoller likes this.
  8. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  9. tarcoleo

tarcoleo

"Would be nice to replicate it as "light quadricycle" according to E.U. Directives, but not an easy task, including half-shafts with universal joints (maybe rubber disks?)"
    -------------------
    Great idea! With a carbon fiber composite plank.

10. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

... oh, no!
    At least for me - only good and practical composite is plywood!
    (for carrosserie, plywood could be covered with cotton fabric and painted, or by fine and polished aluminium folie)

About carbon-fiber I do not know anything otherwise that it is excellent material and expensive.
    Maybe to use painting in a style of "carbon-fiber-look" as often is done now? Of course - NOT!

For me as a kid from the middle of XX century (still couldn't say: the previous/last century), only classic materials for any replica, especially of cyclecar: steel or/and aluminium, plywood and wood-sticks, fabric...

For modern light motorised road-going vehicles - every one of modern materials and technologies is possible, even welcomed!

Ciao!
    Zoran

11. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

P.S.: Possible solution? qqqqqq_20140717_1311993769.jpg
    ... Polish humor about modest possibilites...
    Z.

12. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

P.P.S.: Asian-African reality...
    (don't worry, vehicles are movable and faces are smiling)
    Zoran-FUTURE (1).jpg

motorcycle.jpg f.kitayskay_mashina013.jpg
    image00111.jpg

Rolfzoller likes this.
  13. fredvv44

fredvv44

Great stuff Zoran. Love the Flintstone one.

Herb Kephart likes this.
  14. mikebishop37

mikebishop37

30tudor and motoklas like this.
  15. SR100

SR100

We are officially off the rails...

16. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

... like 90% of the times until now?
    (but have fun)
    Ciao,
    Zoran

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THANK YOU

I, FOR ONE, AM VERY HAPPY WE DIDN'T GET OFF ON PARTICLE CONTAINMENT IN A FUSION REACTOR

BACK TO QUIRKY LITTLE KNOWN EARLY AND OFTEN HOMEMADE AUTOMOBILES, PLEASE

"HOW MANY ANGELS?" FIT ON THE HEAD OF A PIN HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE TO DEATH

porkshop likes this.
  18. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

... SOOOOOOOOOO,
    THE SIMPLEST CYCLECARS THAT COULD BE BOUGHT FROM TURN OF THE CENTURY UP TO FIFTIES: AMERICAN INVENTION - BUCKBOARD CYCLECARS!

SIMPLE WOODEN PLATFORM WITHOUT ANY SUSPENSION! CHASSIS IS FLEXIBLE IN ANY DIRECTION TO AVOID PROBLEMS WITH UNEVEN ROAD SURFACE, AND BUMPS OR HOLES (NOT TOO BIG), GIVING "COMFORT" IN RIDE...
    OFTEN WITHOUT GEARBOX AND SOME VARIANTS EVEN WITHOUT CLUTCH...

[​IMG]
    THIS TIME, PRESENTED IS REPLICA OF MC-DONOUGH BUCKBOARD FROM FIFITES, MADE BY JIM FLANINGAN FROM THE USA, MEMBER OF CYCLEKART CLUB.

HIS EXPLANATION:

"The wheelbase is 69 in. Front and rear track are 40.5 in. The seat is 40 in wide. Rear bed is 36.l in x 34.5 in. The steering wheel is 11 in. Tires are 16 x 2.50. Overall length is 104 in. Powered by a Hemi 212cc. CVT trans and disc brake for the right rear wheel. The left rear wheel is freewheeling. I saw pictures of the original and eye-ball engineered it. It came out looking good!"

IT IS SOMETHING BIGGER THEN ORIGINAL WELL-KNOWN AS EXPONENT IN FORMER MICRO-CAR MUSEUM OWNED BY BRUCE WEINER.

CIAO,
    ZORAN

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  19. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

... TOM BARTLETT, ANOTHER MEMBER OF CYCLEKART CLUB MADE REPLICA OF RED-BUG ELECTRIC BUCKBOARD!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HIS EXPLANATION:

"I am in the process of converting my replica of a 1919 Briggs & Stratton Flyer to the later Electric Auto Red Bug. I removed the 5th wheel and gasoline engine, and substituted a 1924 Dodge 12-volt starter/generator driving the right rear wheel. I also added a mechanical expanding drum brake (Ford Model T brake drum) on the left rear wheel, similar to the original. I have retained the original wagon-type wheel-scrubbing rear brakes as a parking/emergency brake. I am re-furbishing the entire vehicle at the same time, installing the proper McCauley type (crowned) fenders with hub caps on all axles. I also changed the original manual horn to an electric one, and wired up the tail/tag light and the head lights."

BOTH THE FIRST SHOWN AND THIS ONE - POSSIBILITIES FOR BEGINNER IN CYCLECARS REPLICA MAKING AT HOME?
    NEXT TIME - ORIGINALS, PHOTOS AND VIDEOS!
    Z.

Herb Kephart and tarcoleo like this.
  20. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

21. Kume

Kume

Love these tribeezas. According to my 'Boys Book of the BSA' the front wheel drive setup was copied from the Alvis failure.

bsa 1.jpg bsa 2.jpg bsa 3.jpg bsa 6.jpg

22. fredvv44

fredvv44

I'd love to find a BSA to add to my collection. That one is a beauty.

23. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I have that top pic as my screen saver.

24. Kume

Kume

Shame BSA didnt develop the Hotchkiss or used JAP like Dorcas. Image from Bob #8702 Dorcas BSA.jpg

25. Kume

Kume

26. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello Kume,
    From unknown reason, I always prefer Sandford and Darmont (later variants) or BSA three-wheelers, compared to Morgans...
    Ciao,
    Zoran

27. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Kume,
    As most of the British-based specials, Dorkas and some other BSA specials had many variants in their original time, but many modifications up to date...

If I remember well, there were variants of 4-wheel-drive specials, some successful (with propeller-shafts) some not (with chains)...

Great fun for designers/constructors/drivers, but for public too, or us in forums...

Zoran
    upload_2018-3-31_18-32-37.jpeg

upload_2018-3-31_18-33-6.jpeg

upload_2018-3-31_18-33-33.jpeg

28. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

BAD NEWS

Bluto, aka Jimbo-- Jim P, had a heart attack Friday. Z, his wife was home at the time and called an ambulance, but the EMT's had a difficult time getting his heart going again. As of yesterday, his heart was beating and he was breathing with a ventilator. He was still in a coma, and his pupils do not respond to light. It remains to be seen how much of his brain is gone from lack of oxygen, while his heart was stopped.
    Z sent an Email yesterday with the news.

If you are the praying sort, you know what to do--but please don't forget his wife. She sees everything that she loved -gone.

Both of them need God's help

Herb

29. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Herb,
    Really sad news!
    I received similar letter from Zofia last evening, about strong heart-attack of my pen-friend, known as Jim, Jimski, Bluto.
    I couldn't believe that something like that could happen to so good, strong, human and ethical person!
    I have a hope that he shall soon recover and be well, as before!
    Minds of me and my wife Olga are with Jim and Zofia, prays too!

Please, anyone who get new information about Jim's health - inform all of us as soon as possible.

I pray that news shall be good!
    Regards, Zoran

JB.jpg

Herb Kephart likes this.
  30. So sorry to hear this. Have spoken to Jim a few times - he rang me just because he likes the look of my O/T car - he's always so knowledgeable and humble about all the cool stuff he has. Get well soon Jim.

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app