Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exporting an incomplete car. does it still need a title!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadassBadger, Mar 21, 2018.

1. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

i got a guy that bought some 57 chevys from me and buyer is from africa. one is a rolling shell which would be restored and the other is a complete parts car. neither have titles. if i just remove the engine on the parts car then is it able to be exported?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exporting from here probably isn't the issue as long as you write up the paperwork to say "parts only" or some legal version of that.
    Still proof of legal ownership on the other end may be a real issue.

3. I'm looking into possibly brining an old car (a complete car) from the US into Canada. I'm not very far into finding out what I have to do yet, but so far I've been told I need to notify US customs 72 hours before I get it to the border so the title can be checked ... before I can remove it from the US.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just do your homework and you will be fine. I have sold cars to guys north of the border a few times. I deliver them to Bellingham (there is a amtrack station there so it easy for me to get home), a roll back takes the car (and title) to the border where it stays for however how long before the owners can receive it. I don't know if it US Customs (good name for a car club) or the Canadians but I do know there is a few days involved.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The reason for wanting the info 72 hours beforehand is so they can have their investigation done by the time you get there. Otherwise you have to wait while they do it. And, they appreciate the courtesy if you get my drift. (you don't want a border guard pissed off at you)

Hollywood-East and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. evintho

evintho

Is he a Nigerian prince and will his agent contact you? I hope there's a WalMart nearby to facilitate the wire transfer!

wvenfield likes this.
  7. I sold a pickup(no engine, but a roller) to a guy in the UK a few years ago. It had to have a title(and did) before it could get on the boat.

8. LOL I would be more concerned with getting paid for the cars then if I could ship 'em. Africans are not known for paying.

That said, if you send a notarized bill of sale with the proper identification and the bill of lading denotes them as parts cars or salvage vehicles you should be fine.

Note: this is just general information I am not privy to regulations in Africa your buyer should have that information for you.

9. brepil

brepil

It's more based on the rules of the country your shipping too. I'm in the Uk and we need a title to be able to register the car here.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. LOL we need one here too but we get around it. :D

I sent an old Ford truck to Sweden about the time I got on the HAMB. The guy said he had an old rusted out piece of a field car with a title and wanted something he could drive and be happy. I didn't have a title for the Ford but it was solid and actually ran well. I pulled the engine, strapped it down in the bed and it shipped from Florida. The bill of lading said Salvage Vehicle. No problems on the Swedish end of it.

Some countries really regulate what comes in, for example in the '80s it was next to impossible to import a vehicle from the US to Mexico as parts or otherwise. But you could ferry them to Guatemala all day long or bring your vehicle in on your visa all day long no problems.

11. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

they've been paid for. and its south africa. i talked to a exporter and from the sound of it, if i remove the engine from the parts car both could be classified as rolling chassis.

12. Then why ask us? And there are as many scammers in South Africa as anyplace else on that continent.

Glad you got it worked out.

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes you do 72 hours is correct..and BEST to make an Appointment at the entry point.... no Canada..US... they want to see it and check #'s before it leaves.......... With an engine installed... A CAR.... with no engine--- PARTS CAR.

I have brought several cars from the US.I use these guys...cheap and ALL paperwork is handled..... at the time it was 75 bucks..... REALLY worth the money......
    https://www.autoexports.us

14. 2935ford

2935ford

I have done what you are going to do several times.
    Correct on notifying US customs but you also need to have the title sent to them 72 hours in advance.
    Some entry points will take a fax copy others want the original mailed to them. Check on this at your entry point.
    Now, make sure the vehicle is a vehicle Canada allows to be brought in. Most old (antique) cars are no problem.
    If everything is Ok there is the payment of tax on the price of the vehicle stated on the sales receipt.

15. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I would suggest you find out what they want in that country. What is legal in the U.S. or Canada may not be acceptable there.

16. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Firstly, it is highly improbable that a Nigerian Prince wants a 57 parts car. My experience is there is a higher probability of being ripped-off by an unscrupulous American than the other way round.

Now the issue with the cars is not importing it into South Africa, But getting it past the US Border and Customs.
    A Notorised bill of sale [not a scribbled napkin receipt] is probably the minimum requirement for you to sell it.
    I purchase a Racing Car from USA [to NZ], that never had a title or VIN issued. But it did have an SCCA logbook and the appropriate numbers stamped on the rollcage.
    There was a bit of extra paperwork to get it out! A cover letter on their format, photographs etc. And a paper trail of purchase ,so I supplied a pdf of the bank transfer of funds [ a Nigerian cheque isn't good enough ]

It is worthwhile if you jump through all the hoops, and remember we're not all Towelheads because we live south of the border or across the ocean.