Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Come on, Don't lie about it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimSibley

JimSibley

I myself think it’s your duty to call him out. For one, just to flick your friend a little crap, and for letting him know that he was caught. It also bothers me a little when someone takes credit for a build that they didn’t do. I mean , if you buy a car and people compliment you on it, say thanks and give a little credit to the guy that put it together.

jim snow, bowie, cretin and 1 other person like this.
  2. The last '57 I bought was from a guy who had a partner of some sort. I was looking at the car and mentioned that I was concerned what was under the primer. Both of them got all bowed up and adamantly start telling me how it was media blasted and ground to bare metal before "sealing". I get it home and find that it was sanded to bare ass maybe a foot up the roof and the "sealer" was some kinda stove paint. It was supposed to come with the two fenders and hood that was hanging in the shop, they didn't get delivered and then I see them on Craigs List. There was a table with a ton of good stuff that was supposed to be part of the deal. He shows up with a bunch of throw away shit. I had asked him if he had the title assuming it was in his name. It was in the previous owner's name along with $900 worth of back fees. He did make good on that.

He seemed like such the nice upfront guy only to find he was just a snake. Worst I've ever been burned, lieing bastard.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. JimSibley

JimSibley

I was in a booth at a big swap meet several years ago, looking at a car that I had done the body and paint on when the booth owner walks up and starts trying to sell me a paint job using my work as his example. After a few minutes I asked him what brand of paint was on the car. He told me that he shot it in ppg , I replied that this car was done in my shop with DuPont paint and that I was just there to see how it was holding up. He asked me to leave.

4. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

No but I am sure I know how to do things you do not...

And unless you have your own foundry you’re putting parts on your ride just like I do.

5. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

One thing I have seen mentioned in this thread is wrong or no credit given in printed stories. I have seen this happen a few times when I know FOR A FACT that the information was given properly to the story writer. Just because the article is wrong doesn't mean that the owner did not give the correct information.

clem, zzford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Like lick your elbow?Get off your high horse already....... here's a magical Q for you- since you DONT build your own hot rods, when you have one that's BUILT FOR YOU, do you tell people that ask you questions if you built it, do you lie thru your fucking teeth like your buddy? Or do you man up? Or- do you have your buddy cover your ass like you do for him? Consensus says by the board here, your loosing this battle........
    bash all of us that call bullshit...... Mr. I don't build my own hot rods!

7. I dont have nothing to add,only wanted to say that im selling hot tasty hot dogs right outside.

slayer, zzford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. did you cook them yourself?

zzford and wraymen like this.
  9. trollst

trollst

Give it a rest you guys, it gets tiring.......

cavman likes this.
  10. Yes..
    3 day old water to get the authentic NY taste.

tb33anda3rd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Most interesting thread.I have built a few engines,transmissions and rear ends.Have I ever done body work,painting or any type of fabrication?HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO.Why?Because I don`t have the skills to do it.If and when I do need something of that nature done,I will find the best craftsman available to do the jobs needed.And I ain`t afraid to say so.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

zzford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. cavman

cavman

Let's get back to the gist of the thread......

Years ago myself and a friend I went to buy an early Olds 442 I had known about for a few years, along with the original owner. To say this car was pristine was a stretch, it had spent more time upside down and in body shops than on the road, the only orig sheet metal was the deck lid and one 1/4 panel. Any way, the now owner told me he bought it from the orig owner, a guy by the name of Barry B., (not true) that worked in the local tire factory. And, that it was a low mileage never driven in the winter car. I let him ramble on about it for an hour. He just needed money. We agreed on a price, and we rolled it out side and I asked the friend who was with me, the real Barry B. that did infact work at the tire factory, to help load it. The guy made a bunch of excuses and went in his house never to return. I left the cash on his bench, and left. We laughed all the way home.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"You're not going to minimize me."

Lol. Oh my gosh...
    I can see I'm gonna have to lead the sing-along again.
    Everybody now...
    Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya...

14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry I am way done with the bickering on this thread!

15. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

How is your consensus working for you? The trolls come out and I keep stomping them out one at a time. Working on my truck (not a hot rod) is not my full time job but it is one of the many things that I taught myself to do. There are very few challenges that I will back down from. Now if I were to get a hot rod built I wouldn’t lie about who built it. However if my buddy said he fucked that that idiots wife in his home built hot rod who am I to correct him? An for your information it’s my fucking horse and if I want to ride it that is my business. You don’t like it, you can go where I sent rickybop.

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Suuure you don't. You already have 11 posts on this thread that say otherwise, and I'm pretty certain you've got at least 12 in ya. I find it funny that in a thread where liars are getting called out, you start foaming at the mouth. Hit a little close to home?

17. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

...I am foaming? Like I said before about trolls. I can give you 13 if you like.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thank you Sir exactly where this thread belongs.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No...I reported you.

chevy57dude and 59Apachegail like this.
  21. Toner283

Toner283

Did you catch the part where the OP did NOT "throw his buddy under the bus"? He simply let his buddy know that he (the OP) knew that the buddy was full of shit and quietly (and unbeknownst to the rest of the crowd) called him on it.

I think that a lot of the folks who do their own work (and maybe even yourself) would agree that having someone else claim your work as their own is insulting.

cretin and trollst like this.
  22. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Perfect maybe now you’ll be able to shut me up.

23. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Honestly at the end of the day I could care less what someone else took credit. Actually for me if someone tried to claim my work as their own it is probably the greatest compliment. I take pride in my work for me not for someone else. That is true for all of my projects. I could understand how someone might get pissed but I do not.

24. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

One of my old high school friends bought an off topic blown pro street car in the mid 80's. Very nice car. He was clear about who built it and who did the engine, etc. He never claimed to build any of it. He sold it a year or so later with all the paperwork showing where everything was done. The new owner had a quicky paint job done to change color a bit and absolutely nothing else was done to the car. It ended up in Popular Hot Rodding as a feature car. Dude didn't list one single person that actually built the car, it listed all the new dude's buddys as the builders. My friend, and the original builder cornered the PHR guys at a big national show and asked about it, wanting the actual people that built it to get credit. The Editor said they knew the car, had pictures of it before the latest owner bought it and asked him several times if all the info he provided was correct. He claimed it was so they ran it. After talking to the 2 honest guys, they contacted all the other car magazine Editors and basically blackballed the lying guy from ever getting anything published again. Magazine shouldn't have published the crap list of builders he gave them when they knew it was wrong but at least they tried to correct it by black balling the guy from then on.
    SPark

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

I do all the work on my junk. If I sell it to someone, and they claim they built it themselves, am I off the hook for all the aubstandard work? Gene

wraymen and zzford like this.
  26. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

This thread is done.

clem, cavman, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.