Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead Clutch & Pressure Plate Combo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crankhole, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Crankhole

Crankhole

I've got a '30 Tudor with an 8BA flathead/flywheel (out of a shoebox Ford). Which clutch & pressure plate combo do I need to bolt up a '39 trans? And will I need to have the flywheel redrilled or is there a direct bolt-on option?

2. Mac VP

Mac VP

We recommend the Ford 10” Long style pressure plate and the matching 10” disc with the 1-3/8” hub. This is the correct fit when using the 39 style trans.

The passenger car clutch was 9-1/2” on the 49-57 Ford cars and they used the smaller 1” ten spline clutch hub. This setup doesn’t work well with the large 39 style throw out bearing.

So your exiting 8BA flywheel would have to be redrilled for the 10” bolt pattern (assuming the flywheel is in decent condition). Or you can buy a new flywheel that is already drilled for the 10” pattern.

3. Crankhole

Crankhole

Would a modified 9-1/2"disc with the larger spline do the trick?...or would the clutch pressure plate have to be modified, also? I already have a rebuilt 9-1/2" clutch pressure plate so if all I need is a modified disc and correct throw out bearing/hub, that would be great.

4. Crankhole

Crankhole

5. flatjack

flatjack

I don't think I've seen a 9 1/2" disc with the 1 3/8" hub. I don't know if you can get by with a 10" disc on a 9 1/2" pressure plate.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I have an 8BA bolted to my stock 40 Ford transmission. The same set up will also work with the 39 toploader.
    I used a 1950 Mercury 10 in. clutch and pressure plate, original 40 throwout bearing, 1950 Merc stamped steel bell housing with matching starter plate. Using an 11 in. clutch and pressure plate is overkill and IS NOT needed.
    Also used the Ford truck 8RT wide belt water pumps, wide belt generator pulley and 50 merc wide belt crank pulley.
    Fan pulley will also have to be wide belt. Do a search on Fordbarn for more info. IMG_1724b.jpg

7. Crankhole

Crankhole

Fort Wayne Clutch carries a modified combo using the 9-1/2” disc. Any reason this wouldn’t work? I think this option may be my best bet, not having to pull the flywheel to be redrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Crankhole

Crankhole

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Call them to make sure it will fit the 39 ford transmission as i don't see that mentioned in their add.
    Also, keep in mind that the OEM 1939 V-8 was 85 HP while the 49-53 V-8 was 110.
    Go with the 10 in. set up, if possible.

10. Crankhole

Crankhole

I actually have a (‘42-47?)open drive pickup trans. Should be the same as a ‘39, right?

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not trying to be a smnart ass, but Mac VP offered you a solution that is sure fire and he's about as knowledgeable and reliable as you're going to get on this issue. But you've suggested every other alternative you can think of since his suggestion.
    As much trouble as it is to fix this later after you've got it all together and your cobbled up deal doesn't work properly, I think if it were me I'd do as he said now.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I actually have a (‘42-47?)open drive pickup trans. Should be the same as a ‘39, right?
    I don't think they are the same. plus, gear ratios may be different. plus, you will have to convert your banjo rear to open drive and use parallel leaf springs. No more torque tube.

STOP right now and buy MacVanPelt's transmission book on his website.
    Then call him and ask all questions you have. He is the go-to-guy.
    Otherwise you may end up spending tons of money on the wrong parts.

13. Crankhole

Crankhole

I very much appreciate MacVP’s knowledge and advice...as well as everyone else’s. I’m just seeing what other options might be available to me. If someone makes bolt on parts that work properly, I’m all for it. Thanks.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As you know building a hot rod is expensive. Check out what Hot Rod Works offers for open drive conversions and brakes.
    http://www.hotrodworks.com/