Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What brand gauge package do you guys use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmdeaton, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Speed~On

Speed~On

Yes, that looks much better! The engine turned panel is great, too!!

2. Pretty happy with NewVintage. Made in USA and great customer service

3. The gauges are used gauges I collected a while back (surprised to find I had wrapped them in 2012 newspapers); some could be Mexican built, time will tell on function.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I have a c.1978 VDO 4-cylinder tach which has walked a convoluted path with me. It's on the Morris now.

I've been scrounging all kinds of old instruments for the '31, as I want to go for the busy, mismatched Le Mans Bentley look, with a few twists. I've finally crossed the speedometer off the list: scored an Austin A40 Farina (1958-1967) cluster with fuel and temp. It looks like this:
    [​IMG] (not mine).

The rest of what I've collected is a lot of old Smiths, some Jaeger, and many unmarked pieces.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

VDO for the Master insert in my 35 Chevy Standard
    F0_2363_p.jpg
    And VDO again for the movements behind the new fascias in my 46 Olds
    Speedo2.JPG
    Clock1.JPG
    Tacho2.jpg

olscrounger likes this.
  6. 100_8771.JPG 100_5159.jpg 100_7891.JPG Speedway gauges work great, look like they belong in a hot rod and best of all fit my shoestring budget.
    Used Autometer Classic on my 32 5 window, Hanoline on my 51 F1...Junkyard Chevy Astro Van gauge pod on my Model A.
    Best to use a volt gauge for safety's sake....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

stock 38 chevy rebuilt fits straight into a 38 chevy dash with no mods

Paul and RICH B like this.
  8. arincee

arincee

I've been using the black face S W,s for over 40 years. I don't know when they moved production to Mexico but I've never had a problem with any of them. Be sure to buy the deluxe gauges, not the cheaper standard ones. I'm not sure about the new wings gauges. My son bought a set for his T-bucket and got two bad ones right out of the box.

9. Modified license plate frame + gauge set from So Cal Speed Shop with a stainless steel plate from an old Hotel elevator in my 32 roadster. 431918-1355432728-1108bd18d28027568be117d3b39f959b.jpg

10. Used Classic Instruments' Hot Rod series with curved glass i my model A (no pics of them in the car), and really liked them. Clean design, easy to read, no big logos etc.

[​IMG]

Just Gary likes this.
  11. AndersF

AndersF

I going to use Stewart Warner in my build.
    The speedo is Plymouth 55.

[​IMG]

Speed~On likes this.
  12. I have some real old SW gauges in the coupe, and some are Autometer. All have been working real well for years. I like the look of those Classic instruments in the post #71.:)

13. Vintage pre 70’s Stewart warner.

AndersF likes this.
  14. lilmann

lilmann

Speedhut for the same reasons mentioned!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. fortynut

fortynut

As I read this, with a few exceptions, it seemed like I was on a street rodder blog. For those of us who were there when some of what is called 'traditional' was a contemporary thing, most Hot Rodders had two choices, or maybe more if you count VDO or Smith's that were purloined from sports cars. They kept the stock gauges, or went with the black face Stewart .Warner's. I grew up in the South, but traveled with my Father, to Southern California every summer to visit my Aunts and grandmother --- who ended up there during the war. I have always been into machines, and when I was very young developed a life long friendship with a hydroplane racer. In California in the late forties (I was a pre-teen), my Dad would take me on Saturday nights to watch the midget car races in San Bernardino, when we were out for the yearly visit. (I once got to sit in Bill Vukovitch's little black car after the race. And, yes, he won.). Plus, by that time,I had begun reading car magazines at the drug store, so I paid attention to whatever Hot Rod I saw. With some of that in mind, gentleman, I hope you understand why I take the issue at paying respect to 'how it was', seriously. Otherwise, please don't think you're fooling those who know the difference. And, don't mark me down as being a 'stitch Nazi', as those in the reenactment field call the hardcore guys who want it exactly the same as it once was, sans mimiballs and blood and gore. To be dedicated and determined bro GA with it the sentiment of knowing what is righteous. Maybe not everyone can go on eBay, day after day, looking at the Stewart Warner gauges that are perfect for their build, hoping for the right vintage one to turn up, and that you win the auction, or can buy it outright; or have the time to research the particulars of the period they are building; or, spend hours looking at the hamb classifieds; or, use search engines to go through Craigslist on a periodic basis; or, to walk the aisles of every swap meet car parts sections you can go to; but, to recommend stuff you don't know that is more suitable for street rods means a lot of you are not paying attention to what's going on here. I know you are not talking this well, and are trying to make sense of what the hell I am talking about, but look at what has been posted and ask yourselves is all of it contemporary, or does it even look period? Maybe we should modify the concept similar to what Phillip K. Dick did to Science Fiction and mix past, present and future into it. Maybe we can even talk Ryan into including a section on modified electrics, hydrogen power, and the new nuclear power plant for older, prewar Fords. The A sedan poses a question as to what period are you shooting for? With a T5 in it, you're not prewar, but with the hot four banger you will look the part. So, I vote you find some classic de luxe black front SW gauges, and put a mechanical speedometer in it. The T5 came with a gear --- some did, And, there's plenty of info on converting an electric to mechanical. You have a nice Mode A, and you will live with your choices for a long time. And, the gauges are seen almost as much as the road. GOOD LUCK &HAPPY HUNTING!

16. A bit fuzzy; but SW's are good at night, too.
    night2.jpg

17. fortynut

fortynut

Dave Mann has some good poop on the history of Stewart Warner and the evolution of the gauges. www.roadsters.com --- plus a variety of other stuff he has in various categories. Well worth knowing about because it is very informative.