Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carter Weber synchronization on Chevy inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shorty_AT, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Shorty_AT

Shorty_AT

Hey guys,
    hope you can help me in this case.

Mounted a dual carter weber setup on my 54 210 inline 6. Now I would like to synchronize them an adjust the throttle linkage to let em run really smooth.
    Can anyone tell me if I can use the port marked with the red arrow to connect it to my synchronzation gauges. Or can anyone send me a pic from the bottom of a carter weber carb where I can see where the marked port is goint to.

Thank you for your help,
    Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

2. Shorty_AT

Shorty_AT

Has no one laying around a carter weber on the workbench to take a quick pic for me?

Thank you
    Stefan

3. rudestude

rudestude

I realize this carb is not totally the same as yours...but it does have some similarities ...sort of... any ways here is a few shots if it helps in any way......I'm a fan of inline Chevy 6's I have had a few with multiple carbs through the years the only set up I have now is a 53-54 Corvette triple side draft set up going on my 50 Chevy Bel-Air....good luck with yours...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm not familiar with that specific carburetor, but that looks like a port for manifold vacuum. Is that port open on your carbs, or capped? Should be easy enough to check it to see if there is vacuum there.

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. The only photo I have of mine is my Avatar Photo here. and that won't help much. I do have all the set up instructions that came with my carbs & intake from Clifford but they are in my car in town and I will not have it back for a few more days. Jimmie

6. I can't tell you which port to use without digging a carb out of the closet but I can tell you what you want and you can decipher it for yourself.

What you want especially if you carbs share a common plenum or you have an equalizer tube is vac above the throttle blades. If you look at the old timey carb balancing manifolds they hooked up to the air horn for just that purpose. In your case if you are using a balancing manifold which hooks to a vac port you are most likely going to want ported vacuum like goes to the distributer.

7. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Take a look on Youtube - this is the first video that popped up, might help with the linkage.

8. Shorty_AT

Shorty_AT

@rudestude: thanks for the pics, but the carb shown is too different for what I wanted to see. But thanks for your effort.
    @Blues4U: The port is capped. But I am not able to start the car at the moment, so I also cant check if there is vaccuum.
    @ol-nobull & waldo53: Thanks, but I don't have difficulties with the linkage, i just want to adjust it right. And neither the information I got with the carbs nor the youtube video I already watched tell me what I wanted to know.
    @porknbeaner: I think I would need "total" vaccum after both of the throttleblades, ther I could connect my vavuumgauges and then adjust the linkage right. The only question is which port give me total vacuum after both throttleblades ...

But I think I do have to demount at least one of the carbs. That's what I wanted to prevent because I do also have to disconnect all the fuel lines, linkage and so on.

But nevertheless thanks for your help

9. carbking

carbking

ottoman likes this.
  10. Shorty_AT

Shorty_AT

@ Carbking: thank you for the information. The only reason I wanted to measure vacuum is because I do have all the instruments an gauges, and I don't have a airflow meter ... But I think I do have to buy one (reason below ;) )

BECAUSE the longer I think about that the more i think i do have a big thinking errors. The vaccum after the throttleblades isn't interessting for me because there is manifold vaccum and that's the same everywhere because there isn't a speration inside the intake manifold between the two carbs. SORRY guys, that was my fault :(

Blues4U likes this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I know the motorcycle guys use vacuum gauges to sync the carbs, and I was thinking you could do the same on a dual carb intake on a car, but further thought clarified why that doesn't work the same. Multi carb intakes on motorcycles typically use 1 carb per cylinder, and the carbs are mounted directly to the mainfold for each individual cylinder, with no plenum between them. So they plug the vacuum gauges into the manifolds and read individual manifold vacuum, and adjust the carbs so each one is pulling the same vacuum. You can't do that on a system where the carbs share a plenum (or one with a balance tube between 2 plenums), because the manifold vacuum is equalized. Seems like the air-flow meter is the way to do it.
    [​IMG]

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...QUYIOtNU5eNur299SMcVrNTjOEmIsLehoCYDgQAvD_BwE

jimmy six likes this.
  12. Shorty_AT

Shorty_AT

Yes, exactly. That's what i was also thinking and what I wrote above.
    So I think I should by myself a toll like you postet above.
    Thanks

Blues4U likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You may have a problem with that tool sealing to the top of your carburetor.
    The old trick is to use a piece of hose and put one to your ear and the other in the air horn of the carburetor and listen to the sound....then adjust your throttle idle screws so they both sound the same.

14. Shorty_AT

Shorty_AT

@saltflats: yess, you are right. I might have to make myself an adapter out of a 3D-printer or something else. What part exactly is the airhorn (translation and pic search is sometimes a bit tricky to get out the right ment parts :) ) Thanks

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was referring to the top of the carburetor.
    Or some may call it the choke horn.

16. rudestude

rudestude

I used a setup like this on the webers on my 260-Z years ago....[​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jimmy six and saltflats like this.
  17. carbking

carbking

Saltflats - now I remember the purpose for that clear plastic gas line. The plastic didn't dampen the sound like rubber hose would do. I learned the "ear" method, long before I could afford one of the gauges.

Jon.

saltflats likes this.
  18. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

I thought that port was manifold vacuum on my Langdon Carter Webers only to find out it appears to be venturi vacuum. Vacuum signal increases as the throttle is opened. I couldn't find a manifold vacuum port on my carbs.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  19. Shorty_AT

Shorty_AT

You are talking about the port marked with the red arrow? If this would be so, I probably COULD use the port with my gauges :rolleyes: Because mine are also from Langdons ...

20. The reason n you can't use manifoild vacuum unless you have separate plenums and no equalizer is that that below the blades or manifold vacuum will be the same regardless, this is why the old synchronization manifolds attached to the air horns.

If you are running separate plenums and no equalizer ( like a motor cycle) then vac below the blades or manifold vacuum will work just fine. It still will not be perfect as valve train condition and compression per cylinder will effect it but it is a fair indicator of air flow and good enough for the girls we run with.

Blues4U likes this.
  21. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Yes, the one marked with the red arrow.

Attached Files:

22. RoundRocker

RoundRocker

Hi Stefan... I've got 2 of these carburetors from my neighbor's estate sale. I recon I'll be putting them on my Dodge slant 6 at some point. I'm searching in vain to find the model number, for servicing kits that I'll need in the future. This is the first thread that I've found an identical carb photo. All I see are "carter weber." Mine are 32/32mm. Do you know the Model number of these?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023