Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Call andy starr hilborn electronic sales east coast office. Tell him you are building a car like mine just no nitro. He can set you up. He can program a initial tune up into the ecu to get going. To learn some thing about efi i took a class fast teaches. Check their site for dates. andy does drag week in a stack injected 56 chevy. he knows whats going on.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    loudbang and MikeC62 like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

3. a boner thanks for the video.

loudbang likes this.
  4. AmishMike

AmishMike

For mikec62 - go online find mega squirt & read. Tons of good EFI info. So much info need time to work through.

loudbang and MikeC62 like this.
  5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

If you think reading all of this is boring, you ought to meet Brian and talk with him in person...........

FinnishFireball, rooman and racer-x like this.
  6. The 19.6 gallon pump will place some stress on the delivery side feeding it. I upgraded the outlet on the tank and the inlet on the pump to number 16 fittings. I previously had number 12. The 16s are a inch on the inside diameter. I up sized the vent from a 6 to a 8. The tank is the same length but the width went from 8 inches to 10 inches. New hoops were purchased to acomodate the bigger tank. The new tank gives me 7 gallons now up from 5. Its a real possibility this still might not be enough capacity. New mounts need to be made due to the bigger diameter. Im playing with a few ideas this weekend. Theres alot to consider trying to get the tank mounted. The ideal location puts the tank outlet higher than the pump inlet. Its kind of busy at the front end of the car. I think i need to look at it some more before i start cutting and welding. It cant be stressed enough how important the fuel delivery is to the cars over all success. 20180310_174706.jpg 20180310_174825.jpg 20180310_174843.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    mgtstumpy, Stogy, bobwop and 5 others like this.
  7. The sleeves are in the block so its time to build a nitro hemi. I filed the rings tonight. Its my least favorite job to do on a new engine. The red tool squares the rings for a perfect measurement every time. The end gap is set at .040 for the top and second ring for a starting point. Thats a big gap on a street car but not on a blown nitro engine. If we were running more nitro percentage the gap would be even more. We are not worried about a little blow by. That wont wreck parts. Butting rings due to not enough gap will. The boost and nitro makes alot of heat. i will gap another set to have in the trailer ready to go. In these pics it shows how the sleeves all lock in together and how the push rod reliefs come into play. over time sleeve registers can get pounded down. its important to examine the deck to see if a sleeve is below deck. if one is down the cylinder won't seal. the fix is a oversized sleeve and cutting the register over size restoring the proper height. you can't do that with a iron block. 20180315_202222.jpg 20180315_164317.jpg 20180315_202151.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I like that.
    You can change a O ring also if you fire slot it.

loudbang likes this.
  9. im not sure what you mean by fire slot.

loudbang likes this.
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Very Cool

loudbang likes this.
  11. Im getting things organized for the engine assemble. You have stated you like the tech stuff so heres some on kb blocks. All of the kb blocks have serial numbers. Mine is 426-90. It stamped in the pan rail along with the torque specs. The main caps should also have this number stamped into them. Good tips there if you are shopping for a block. 20180317_185444.jpg 20180317_183402.jpg 20180317_183556.jpg The threaded hole in the cap is for a main cap puller to attatch. The puller is basically a slide hammer. It makes the job of pulling caps a breeze.

bobwop, wicarnut, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. They have a very tight fit.

14. Is it just the box or are you using Eagle crank?

loudbang likes this.
  15. Its just the box. The crank is a brand new 4.5 inch stroke billet vallasco.
    All the wheels are now polished. The last one was dropped off yesterday. I like the look of natural magnesium. On my car i think the polished look is better. The polisher does outstanding work. 20180317_184107.jpg 20180317_184134.jpg

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Daaaaaaaam

racer-x likes this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Beautiful Brian. Those damn good polishers make the rest of a guys car look bad! LOL. Congrats on the big fuel line, you now have a second fuel tank. ;) Lippy

chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  18. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

So the competition will be so distracted by the wheels that they will forget there's a tree to be looking at.

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Do those look better than the old pair or is it just cause they’re fresh. I thought you had polished the last set around the time that you were treating the frame. It seems like the new ones look richer in Shine and pocketbook.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. All the wheels look good in the sun. The light was just right when i took the pic. These wheels twinkle like diamonds when they are spinning. Its a cool look. These are my all time favorite front wheels.

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

SHINEY !! ooh ! ahh ! I like shiney ! nice !

loudbang likes this.
  22. Between call ins back to the hospital i was able to start putting some things together. It all started out good with the crank fitting perfect. Billet nitro cranks are ground with more clearance than stock cranks. Its right at .0035 on the mains and 8.5 on the thrust. It spins nice and smooth without any tight spots. The large radiuses on the journals can cause a problem sometimes depending on the bearings used. I use slightly narrower bearings to avoid that problem.
    I put a rod and piston in to set tdc. The rods hit the bottom of the sleeves. They dont have enough clearance. The pic of the rod shows a scratch on it were its hitting. The crank needs to come out so i can get at the sleeves with a rotary file.
    The gear drive cover is also not fitting. Its hitting the drive spud. I need a different cover or i need to make some modifications to it. Before i make a pile of chips i want to think on it tonight as to how im going to fix it. 20180318_170428.jpg 20180318_170451.jpg 20180318_201018.jpg 20180318_201051.jpg 20180318_201126.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  23. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Do the sleeves have to come out for that relieving? And, will you be relieving the spare sleeves the same? Earlier you mentioned being able to change them between passes if needed.

loudbang likes this.
  24. No. They will stay in the block. I can reach the spot that needs attention. Its a lot of grinding and checking on the first one. The crank will be in and out several times. After i get one to fit then its just a matter repetition for the other seven. A wire is used thats .050 thick to reach the area i cant see. The spare sleeves will get relieved as well.

mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You must have a very good back and also be an extremely careful man as so much of what your doing seems major grunt work fun or not...

Secondly, you will polish the rod damage as well?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. Stogy its all in a days work. Its not always fun but i stay focused on the pay off. The rod isnt damaged it just has a small scratch.

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian I work in aviation and when we encounter these imperfections we call them nicks, dings or scratches (a form of damage) which in the case of the rod it is minor I realize. I just was curious if you leave it or wash it out. In aircraft it is an understanding that a ding or scratch can through stress over time possibly result in cracks (and corrosion) so we would depending on severity blend/wash it out to a certain finish say 240 - 400 grit and treat as required.

Your Hotrod/Nitro Racer depending on where sees no doubt pretty intense stress but still perhaps not comparable to an aircraft at 30000 feet for the durations of time they encounter. That said you have been in this business as long as I have been building aircraft and know what is an issue or not.

Thanks and Tree time is fast approaching...;)

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @racer-x do you have a name for the Beast?

loudbang likes this.
  29. i will most likely rub the area with some 1000 grit just to take off any sharp edges. the pic make it look bad. its a rare day a aluminum rod breaks in the beam. no names really. we just refer to it as the coupe.

30. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

And everyone else probably says, it's "that" coupe again! Oh Boy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app